• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

2 hours ago, Redondo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

http://baseballhall.org/hof/

That's the most disappointing nickname origin story since I found out the girl who sat next to me in sophomore English was called "Poon" because her baby brother couldn't pronounce her real name.

8 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Good guess, but no.

Initials are P.G.

An interesting fact about this pitcher was that he couldn't throw a curve ball. He relied on his fastball and pinpoint control.

Pud Galvin, the record that will never be broken simply because no starter pitches more than 33 games a season. He had two season that he started more than 70 games. His 46 win season he had a 1.99 ERA and ended his career at 2.87.

The little steam engine passed away ten years after retirement at the age of 45. He made a top salary of $3k, a considerable amount before the turn of the century but ended up dying penniless.

In case you are thinking that is a young age, it was actually just a year under the life expectancy of the average American at the turn of the century. When people talk about athlete differences between today and back then and snear at accomplishments of that time period please keep in mind the player back then was aged by his time period, diet, living conditions, where a 20 year old is playing in a body that took a beating before it ever pulled on a uniform. Life expectancy today is around 78. 

The #10 patch on the upper sleeves would indicate that someone wearing #10 for the Yankees in the past, passed away that year.

But the one player who wore #10 and passed away around that time, Phil Rizzuto, passed away in 2007.   So I'm guessing it wasn't 2009?  

I'm guessing the 2007 ALDS vs the Indians, just don't know the significance of the moment.