• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Martin Maldonado

Glen

Batting average by month:

April - .262

May - .263

June - .235

July - .194

August - .100

I see a disturbing trend here.  Looks like we can add "C" to our offseason needs, once again.  Love his defense but he's racing back to his career .220 average.

He has already caught 200 more innings than he has in any other major league season with a little under 2 months left to go. He has caught in 96 of the Angels 113 games. It's not very surprising if he is a little bit fatigued.

His defense is also that valuable it doesn't matter if he hit's .220. 

13 minutes ago, Glen said:

April - .262

May - .263

June - .235

July - .194

August - .100

I see a disturbing trend here.  Looks like we can add "C" to our offseason needs, once again.  Love his defense but he's racing back to his career .220 average.

I really like him behind the plate but he's Espinosa like with the bat. 

I'm fine with whatever Maldonado contributes offensively. He's well worth it with his defense. 

I do agree that he's getting fatigued though. This is the toughest stretch of the year, and not only has he set career highs with games played and innings caught, he's been out there almost every single game. I imagine we're not far from seeing Graterol and Perez swap places now that there will be some more playing time opening up.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

April - .262

May - .263

June - .235

July - .194

August - .100

It might be because he is over worked and out of gas.

Maldonado wasn't brought in for his bat and his lack of hitting wouldn't be an issue if the guys the Angels were leaning on actually started hitting(Pujols, Calhoun, Cron, etc). His defense has been top notch which has helped him produce nearly 2 WAR. I'll take that from the catcher spot

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

So what's the explanation for every other year where he hit .220?

I am explaining why his production is dropping late in the year.  It's a logical explanation of the change in the data.  

I haven't followed him the previous years.  However it doesnt make sense that he is dropping down to his average.  Science of averages doesn't work that way.  There isn't some unknown force saying he is destined to be a 220 hitter so he has to go into a slump because he is batting 280.  Averages only indicates what you have done in the past.  It has no explanation on the future. 

1 hour ago, vladdy#27 said:

He has already caught 200 more innings than he has in any other major league season with a little under 2 months left to go. He has caught in 96 of the Angels 113 games. It's not very surprising if he is a little bit fatigued.

His defense is also that valuable it doesn't matter if he hit's .220. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I'm fine with whatever Maldonado contributes offensively. He's well worth it with his defense. 

I do agree that he's getting fatigued though. This is the toughest stretch of the year, and not only has he set career highs with games played and innings caught, he's been out there almost every single game. I imagine we're not far from seeing Graterol and Perez swap places now that there will be some more playing time opening up.

This discussion is why I am advocating that the Angels acquire a left-handed hitting, offense-first catcher with average defense. Clearly the Angels will use him again heavily in 2018 (and possibly extend him too) so any backup catcher will not get a terrible amount of playing time. By having a lefty to compliment and spell Maldonado you can also use that bat off the bench which is why the backup needs to be offense-first to make them usable by Scioscia as a late-innings pinch hitter.

Basically an Alex Avila type backup. Someone like a Chance Sisco for instance.

How much of the success of the pitching staff can be attributed to Maldy being our catcher? I bet a lot. Love the dude. He can bat .220 if he plays defense like that and calls good games. Seems like a gamer. Hope we extend him. 

Having said that I do wish Scioscia would lighten his load just a tad. Funny how our old catchers wouldn't catch Day games after night games and Machete catches pretty much every game no matter what