• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2017 Angels Trade Deadline Thread

DMVol

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:
As deadline nears, the Angels are not in the mix to acquire rentals. But they're again open to hybrid buy-sell moves like '16's Meyer trade.

That wasn't a hybrid buy sell move....Nolasco was included because the Twins wanted to dump his salary...It was a sell for us (Santiago) because we wanted a younger and controllable pitcher (Meyer).....

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That wasn't a hybrid buy sell move....Nolasco was included because the Twins wanted to dump his salary...It was a sell for us (Santiago) because we wanted a younger and controllable pitcher (Meyer).....

I think it could be seen as the Angels could swap a rental for a rental (and prospect) , or a rental for a bad money guy and a prospect. 

Dee Gordon still makes a lot of sense, but I can't see them being very interested in him if it displaces the Cowart audition, so Escobar would have to be moved too.

Unless the Angels sent Cowart to Miami for Gordon and a good prospect. Wouldn't really like that though.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it could be seen as the Angels could swap a rental for a rental (and prospect) , or a rental for a bad money guy and a prospect. 

Maybe except Santiago and Nolasco were controllable thru at least 2017 (Nolasco has the option for 2018).....so they weren't two month rentals...the prospect (Meyer) was the key....

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

Maybe except Santiago and Nolasco were controllable thru at least 2017 (Nolasco has the option for 2018).....so they weren't two month rentals...the prospect (Meyer) was the key....

Right - the Angels don't really have anyone like that. Everyone is either a rental with an expiring contract, a long-term asset, or someone still pre-arb/early-arb, so I have no idea what he meant by that. Trying to interpret as best I could.

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Dee Gordon still makes a lot of sense, but I can't see them being very interested in him if it displaces the Cowart audition, so Escobar would have to be moved too.

Unless the Angels sent Cowart to Miami for Gordon and a good prospect. Wouldn't really like that though.

I will continue to say that trading for Dee Gordon does not make sense. Expensive, doesn't get on base enough.  I can also pretty much assure you the Marlins aren't going to trade Gordon AND a good prospect for Cowart.

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I will continue to say that trading for Dee Gordon does not make sense. Expensive, doesn't get on base enough.  I can also pretty much assure you the Marlins aren't going to trade Gordon AND a good prospect for Cowart.

It doesn't make sense if you're committed to giving Cowart a legit look at 2b....

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Think of it more as the Angels taking/eating all of Dee's contract, and then swapping Cowart for a comparable Miami prospect. 

That's about as close as I can think of in terms of what Moura is talking about. Nor does it have to be Cowart, but if Gordon is at 2B and Escobar is at 3B....

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

If they can get any org's #15-30 prospect for any one of them, or a Top 15 for two of them, they need to pull the trigger.

Guerra and Paredes are killing it in AAA and guy still like Scribner, Morin, Alvarez, Pounders, and Magnifico can get an extended shot to end the year to determine their value going forward.

Isn't Paredes pitching for the Dodgers?

So I decided to go back real quick and do a quick and dirty update of the Methodology article to see which teams are still in need of relief help based on left and right-hand splits:

Teams Needing Bullpen Help vs. LHH (Italics means they are a borderline need, bold means a real need):

• Nationals
  • Indians
  • Cardinals
  • Rays
  • Pirates
  • Orioles

Teams Needing Bullpen Help vs. RHH (Italics means they are a borderline need, bold means a real need):

• Pirates
  • Royals
  • Orioles
  • Brewers
  • Rays

The Rays, Orioles, and Pirates are the three teams with a need for both LH and RH relief help. Both Norris and Hernandez have good splits against both sides of the plate (Norris better vs. LHH's while Hernandez is better vs. RHH's but both are good against both sides). Petit is destroying RHH's but is fairly lame against LHH's making him a strong ROOGY candidate.

We match up well with the Rays right now in my opinion. In particular I think they would covet Bud Norris as they really need help vs. LHH's and he can do both and help in high leverage innings. I have no idea if the Orioles are serious about going all-in but based on statements made by their GM they could be so they would have a strong need for Bud or David too. The Pirates have surged as well and just like the Rays would probably like the salaries of our relievers too. We also match up well with the Cardinals right now as well so they probably would like Norris too.

Hernandez is just as strong, if not stronger, than Norris right now. He too should find a new home but your guess is as good as mine out of those five teams listed.

Petit could also go to any of those five teams as well.

Bottom line is I'd rank our more likely trade partners in the following order: Rays, Pirates, Cardinals, Orioles, Nationals, Royals, Brewers, and Indians. Another team could, of course, jump in the mix I just feel like those I listed are the more likely based on current bullpen actuals.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

They've had such horrible luck signing free agents to mega-millions contracts who "allegedly" took performance enhancing drugs, why not trade for a guy who definitely did them? Makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Think of it more as the Angels taking/eating all of Dee's contract, and then swapping Cowart for a comparable Miami prospect. 

That's about as close as I can think of in terms of what Moura is talking about. Nor does it have to be Cowart, but if Gordon is at 2B and Escobar is at 3B....

Perez and Escobar for Gordon. Works for me but probably not Miami.

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Perez and Escobar for Gordon. Works for me but probably not Miami.

Makes sense to me. They save a lot of money, get a controllable catcher. Angels save a few bucks on Gordon, get a decent 2B under contract. 

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

They already have a controllable catcher who's better and younger then Perez.

Yeah, and I think they have Telis still too, so maybe not Perez but still an Angels prospect, or someone like Marte, etc. It was just a template trying to figure out what type of trade Moura was talking about.