• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Third base options for 2018

Chuck

Have any ideas? Whether by trade or FA signing. 

Obviously Moustakas could be looked at, but what are some others.

How about Josh Harrison? Or trade for one of these youngsters: Richie Shaffer, Michael Chavis, Colin Moran, JD Davis, Hunter Dozier or Ryan McMahon? 

None of them can play defense like Cowart can.  If we're comfortable with him being our starting 2B, why not be equally as comfortable with Cowart being our starting 3B, where he very well could be the best defensive option in all of major league baseball?  I say skip the others, upgrade at 2B, LF and 1B.  

The amount of run prevention with Cowart at 3B and Simmons at SS would give Eppler a saber-boner. 

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

None of them can play defense like Cowart can.  If we're comfortable with him being our starting 2B, why not be equally as comfortable with Cowart being our starting 3B, where he very well could be the best defensive option in all of major league baseball?  I say skip the others, upgrade at 2B, LF and 1B.  

The amount of run prevention with Cowart at 3B and Simmons at SS would give Eppler a saber-boner. 

And one good hitter.....

3 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

And one good hitter.....

I'm thinking three good hitters.  Like trading for Cesar Hernandez at 2B, re-upping Yunel Escobar to play 1B, and signing J.D. Martinez to play LF.  I'm thinking those three can make up for whatever shortcomings Cowart might have with the bat.  

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah... I mean if we could land a guy like Tony Kemp (I mentioned him in another thread) to play 2B, then you can stick Cowart at 3B, then upgrade via FA at LF and 1B to get a boost offensively. 

Other lesser options, copied from my post in the Offseason Wish List thread.
Logan Forsythe/Eduardo Nunez/Jed Lowrie for 2B/3B - just a normal, regular, run of the mill everyday big leaguer type. 
Lowrie has lots of experience in AL West, solid bat, solid defender, versatile.
Forsythe has an option, but I can see the Dodgers declining and going with some youth. He's very versatile and offers some discipline too.
Nunez is another multi-positional infielder with run of the mill offense.
None are exciting, but fall in line with our acquisition of Luis Valbuena. Any one of them offers Angels flexibility with Valbuena, Marte, Cowart, Franklin, Fletcher.

I also mentioned Zach Cozart in that thread, but more as an option for 2B, leaving 3B internal.

Todd Frazier could be a source of right-handed power as well, but he certainly isn't helping his stock.

Moran (former first rounder) has slashed .308/.373/.543 with an .916 OPS in AAA. He has also slugged 18 HR's in 79 games, clubbing a triple and HR in two games before his face was fractured by the ball last week. Since they'll have Bregman and Correa next year, plus JD Davis at 3B in AAA, I could see them moving both Moran and Kemp if they received major league ready talent to help their chances in the playoffs. 

I personally like Escobar and wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a 1-2 year deal.  I dont really see him getting more than that at this point considering age etc.  He could likely be had for far less than the Moustakkas's of the world where we would be forced to far overpay for dingers with low avg/obp.    Plus MM HR numbers are way up in the contract year, that scares me.   
I would be content to go into 18 with YE back as the starter and LV backing up the corners.   I think the greater needs are elsewhere. 

Of course this assumes we dont make a Gordon deal casue if we do then i would assume Cowart would be the likely 3B opening day if he shows he can handle ML pitching. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Escobar on another 1-yr deal for less than $10m wouldn't upset me too much, provided we were investing in LF, 2B, and pitching pretty heavily.

I'd just like to improve our slugging pct. from our 3B spot. We've pretty much got .390 slugging pct. outta Escobar over the past two seasons. Yeah he has a decent OBP, but he doesn't hit for power and doesn't steal bases. His defense at 3B is below average. 

Moran & Kemp for Middleton, Maybin (to platoon with Aoki) and Norris for the two. 

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

The thought of re-signing Escobar gets my gag reflexes going. At first base? Why on earth? We don't need a guy that slugs an average of 7 home runs a year at a premium power position in the lineup. Give Cron everyday at bats if we don't want to spend money for an actual 1st baseman. Even if Cron ends up being shitty again, there is no way that not signing Escobar is going to make us a significantly better team. The guy was a stop gap. The gap has stopped.

We need some lefthanded presence in our lineup. I really doubt Escobar comes back. I'm hoping there's a 3B injury on a contending team so that Escobar could be shipped out for something. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We need some lefthanded presence in our lineup. I really doubt Escobar comes back. I'm hoping there's a 3B injury on a contending team so that Escobar could be shipped out for something. 

I don't see Escobar coming back unless we've gone hogwild elsewhere. He's still potentially cheap production, and even if he is just good for batting average and contact, we're way down at the bottom as a team in those regards.

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Escobar on another 1-yr deal for less than $10m wouldn't upset me too much, provided we were investing in LF, 2B, and pitching pretty heavily.

Don't spend any money on pitching, and don't trade any pitching either. Our pitching will be just fine next year (with any luck) without spending on a FA. We need a power hitting LF. Let Cron play everyday at 1B next year and he won't disappoint.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Don't spend any money on pitching, and don't trade any pitching either. Our pitching will be just fine next year (with any luck) without spending on a FA. We need a power hitting LF. Let Cron play everyday at 1B next year and he won't disappoint.

This is something to consider.   Sort out who will emerge on the mound, and then maybe a year or so from now, if needed, add a pitcher.

And yeah, Cron over Escobar for 1B any day of the week, and twice on Sundays 

59 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm thinking three good hitters.  Like trading for Cesar Hernandez at 2B, re-upping Yunel Escobar to play 1B, and signing J.D. Martinez to play LF.  I'm thinking those three can make up for whatever shortcomings Cowart might have with the bat.  

Escobar is falling off in offensive production and is slowing down on the basepaths. I really don't see him improving the first base position defensively nor his bat compensating for his lack of defense. It's time to move on. 

Free Agent 3Bman in the coming year:

Andres Blanco (34)
Yunel Escobar (35)
Ryan Flaherty (31)
Todd Frazier (32)
Jed Lowrie (34) — $6MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Mike Moustakas (29)
Eduardo Nunez (31)
Jhonny Peralta (36)
Trevor Plouffe (32)
Jose Reyes (35)
Danny Valencia (33)

Second Basemen

Jose Altuve (28) — $6MM club option
Alexi Amarista (29) — $2.5MM club option with a $150K buyout
Darwin Barney (32)
Andres Blanco (34)
Emilio Bonifacio (33)
Asdrubal Cabrera (32) — $8.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Daniel Descalso (31) — $2MM club option with a $150K buyout
Stephen Drew (35)
Danny Espinosa (31)
Ryan Flaherty (31)
Logan Forsythe (31) — $8.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Howie Kendrick (34)
Ian Kinsler (36) — $10MM club option with a $5MM buyout
Eduardo Nunez (31)
Cliff Pennington (34)
Brandon Phillips (37)
Adam Rosales (35)
Eric Sogard (32)
Chase Utley (39)
Neil Walker (32)

Left Fielders

Michael Brantley (31) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Melky Cabrera (33)
Rajai Davis (37)
Jarrod Dyson (33)
Curtis Granderson (37)
Chris Heisey (33)
Matt Holliday (38)
Hyun Soo Kim (30)
Jon Jay (33)
J.D. Martinez (30)
Cameron Maybin (31)
Daniel Nava (35)
Colby Rasmus (31)
Michael Saunders (31) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Justin Upton (30) — Can opt out of the remaining four years, $88MM on his contract
Jayson Werth (39)
Chris B. Young (34)
Eric Young Jr. (33)

17 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Free Agent 3Bman in the coming year:

Andres Blanco (34)
Yunel Escobar (35)
Ryan Flaherty (31)
Todd Frazier (32)
Mike Moustakas (29)
Eduardo Nunez (31)
Jhonny Peralta (36)
Trevor Plouffe (32)
Jose Reyes (35)
Danny Valencia (33)

Second Basemen

Jose Altuve (28) — $6MM club option
Alexi Amarista (29) — $2.5MM club option with a $150K buyout
Darwin Barney (32)
Andres Blanco (34)
Emilio Bonifacio (33)
Asdrubal Cabrera (32) — $8.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Daniel Descalso (31) — $2MM club option with a $150K buyout
Stephen Drew (35)
Danny Espinosa (31)
Ryan Flaherty (31)
Logan Forsythe (31) — $8.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Howie Kendrick (34)
Ian Kinsler (36) — $10MM club option with a $5MM buyout
Eduardo Nunez (31)
Cliff Pennington (34)
Brandon Phillips (37)
Adam Rosales (35)
Eric Sogard (32)
Chase Utley (39)
Neil Walker (32)

Left Fielders

Michael Brantley (31) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Melky Cabrera (33)
Rajai Davis (37)
Jarrod Dyson (33)
Curtis Granderson (37)
Chris Heisey (33)
Matt Holliday (38)
Hyun Soo Kim (30)
Jon Jay (33)
J.D. Martinez (30)
Cameron Maybin (31)
Daniel Nava (35)
Colby Rasmus (31)
Michael Saunders (31) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Justin Upton (30) — Can opt out of the remaining four years, $88MM on his contract
Jayson Werth (39)
Chris B. Young (34)
Eric Young Jr. (33)

For the most part the FA without options are old or no better than Cowart at 2B or 3B. LF free agents seems slim pickens age wise.

20 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

For the most part the FA without options are old or no better than Cowart at 2B or 3B. LF free agents seems slim pickens age wise.

Nunez, Lowrie, Cozart, Forythe, Walker, Kendrick and Cabrera all have a legit shot at out-performing Cowart at 2B/3B.

Jarrod Dyson could play LF, and his WAR would be third on his team behind Simmons and Trout. Curtis Granderson is OPSing .900+ since May. Melky Cabrera and Jon Jay are offensive equivalents of Yunel Escobar. Lorenzo Cain could be a perfect fit.

There are options out there beyond Moustakas, Martinez, and Hosmer. 

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

This is why I kinda think Eppler may just add one UT IF-type vet like Lowrie or Nunez, someone who can fit wherever Cowart doesn't, and should Cowart fail, replace him and open the door for whomever is next in line.

We have more than enough candidates in-house to fill the infield, especially with Fletcher raking in SLC.