• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where does Sonny Gray wind up at the end of the week?

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Whatever Gray's cost is, it'd summarily kill the Mariners farm if Dipoto pulled the trigger.

Their farm system already sucks ass. I really doubt they have what it takes to land Gray.

Lewis cannot seem to stay healthy and their #3 prospect was traded away for a middle to back of the rotation guy in Marco Gonzales.

Mariners10.png

Source: In Sonny Gray talks, #Athletics prioritizing young center fielders. They have interest in #Yankees prospect Estevan Florial. @MLB

If that's what they're prioritizing, the Angels likely match up. Jones would obviously be the fit, but the Angels have enough other toolsy high upside young OF prospects they may be able to offer up alternatives.

Not saying we should do it, just speculating.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Source: In Sonny Gray talks, #Athletics prioritizing young center fielders. They have interest in #Yankees prospect Estevan Florial. @MLB

If that's what they're prioritizing, the Angels likely match up. Jones would obviously be the fit, but the Angels have enough other toolsy high upside young OF prospects they may be able to offer up alternatives.

Offer Hermosillo and Marsh for Gray, IF Gray signs a 2 year extension giving us 4+ years of Gray's service. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Offer Hermosillo and Marsh for Gray, IF Gray signs a 2 year extension giving us 4+ years of Gray's service. 

I think Herm and Marsh would be a fair alternative to Jones. Would still take another piece or two. If they're holding us to a high price, I'd try and wiggle in Alonso or Lowrie given how weak rental return has been, i.e., we will only part with player X if we're getting a rental back as well.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think Herm and Marsh would be a fair alternative to Jones. Would still take another piece or two. If they're holding us to a high price, I'd try and wiggle in Alonso or Lowrie given how weak rental return has been, i.e., we will only part with player X if we're getting a rental back as well.

Yeah, I'd include Thaiss or Nate Smith. Would be nice to have an ace SP again. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I'd include Thaiss or Nate Smith. Would be nice to have an ace SP again. 

I think Beane and Forsch(?) would be the unconventional FO that would also see potential value in a lot of our fringier guys. Not as centerpiece players, but guys who would have opportunity at playing time and turn into flippable players with trade value. Carlos Perez, Marte, Cron, Cowart, etc, or even an injured SP.

Eppler would have to get creative to make this work without dealing Adell and Jones. 

How about a 3 team trade with Tampa Bay, something like...

Rays: Cam Bedrosian 

Angels: Sonny Gray, Jose De Leon

Oakland: Brandon Marsh, Jake Bauers, Michael Hermosillo +filler

Who says no? 

Btw, I'm kinda being greedy by wanting to keep De Leon instead of including him in the Oakland package lol but the rotation is in need of more than just one arm. 

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

No, it isn't.

Just getting desperate to follow a good team, for a change...........tired of injuries and underachieving, fringe free agent signings. And then there's the underachieving, "superstar" free agent signings.

If you're seriously contemplating moving on from the Angels to another team, because of their success and our recent failures, then I would argue you were never a real fan to begin with. 

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If you're seriously contemplating moving on from the Angels to another team, because of their success and our recent failures, then I would argue you were never a real fan to begin with. 

Come on, man. I've followed the Angels longer than you have been on the planet. I've seen Albie Pearson play and heard Don Wells and Buddy Blattner call the games. I've seen bad times worse than this. And I still follow the Angels. 

But I've evolved into more of an overall baseball fan. I like to root for organizations that make good decisions and meet with success. It doesnt matter what city they are in. I rooted for the Cubs last year, the Royals the year before and the overachieving Giants in 2010.

Well, except Boston.............I will never root for Boston. But I do like a lot of their young players and I admire the guts of The Elf.

What is a REAL FAN, anyway? Someone who accepts countless misfortunes and poor decisions and never questions their allegiance? 

That isn't a fan. That's just plain stupid.

Pardon me for questioning my allegiance to this organization. We're as close to the laughing stock of baseball, as there is. I see a brighter future for even the Pads, the Braves, the White Sox and the Phillies. They have a fair amount of good, young talent.

Arte needs to sell..........and take his manager with him.

But I'll still be here. Angel hats are the only MLB hats I own and wear. In football country in Idaho and in Mexico, where I split my time.

1 hour ago, SoWhat said:

Eppler would have to get creative to make this work without dealing Adell and Jones. 

Who says no? 

Btw, I'm kinda being greedy by wanting to keep De Leon instead of including him in the Oakland package lol but the rotation is in need of more than just one arm. 

In my opinion Bedrosian's value is slightly greater than Gray's. They are close enough that they are about equal if you throw in a mid-tier type prospect (A, A+ ball).

Marsh, Hermosillo, and another mid-tier type prospect (maybe Joe Gallo or the like) might result in De Leon but it seems unlikely the Rays want to trade him considering they acquired him just recently. We'd have better luck going after Hu or Chirinos I think.

Getting Bedrosian for the Rays would be good but they are a small market team and Cam is a Super Two player and is hitting his first year of arbitration this season. Certainly they could trade him in a couple of years but that sort of defeats the purpose.

I agree we need more pitching but I think in this example the Angels and possibly the Rays need to give up more. If Bedrosian ~= Gray and Marsh, Hermosillo, and ? ~= De Leon, Oakland (or the Rays since you send all of those prospects to the A's) would say no to this trade in a heartbeat I think.

58 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Come on, man. I've followed the Angels longer than you have been on the planet. I've seen Albie Pearson play and heard Don Wells and Buddy Blattner call the games. I've seen bad times worse than this. And I still follow the Angels. 

But I've evolved into more of an overall baseball fan. I like to root for organizations that make good decisions and meet with success. It doesnt matter what city they are in. I rooted for the Cubs last year, the Royals the year before and the overachieving Giants in 2010.

Well, except Boston.............I will never root for Boston. But I do like a lot of their young players and I admire the guts of The Elf.

What is a REAL FAN, anyway? Someone who accepts countless misfortunes and poor decisions and never questions their allegiance? 

That isn't a fan. That's just plain stupid.

Pardon me for questioning my allegiance to this organization. We're as close to the laughing stock of baseball, as there is. I see a brighter future for even the Pads, the Braves, the White Sox and the Phillies. They have a fair amount of good, young talent.

Arte needs to sell..........and take his manager with him.

But I'll still be here. Angel hats are the only MLB hats I own and wear. In football country in Idaho and in Mexico, where I split my time.

Idaho and mexico? Are you a migrant potato picker?

2 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Who says no? 

Tampa would say no. Bedrosian for effectively DeLeon and Bauers is just too risky for a small market club like them. If they were larger market, sure, they could afford the risk, but an elite closer doesn't help them as much as two prospects like Bauers and DeLeon could, even if Bedrosian shores up their pen for the stretch drive.

I do like the creativity though, and the idea of working a third team in. If you could spin two relievers to a contending NL team and have them include a very good prospect towards Gray to the Angels and maybe Alonso/Lowrie to the NL team as well, it'd make sense.

Angels get Gray

NL Team gets rental from A's and two of our vet relievers 

Athletics get top prospect from NL team, two prospects from Angels, maybe a filler.

Which NL team would part with a top prospect and would need help at pen and infield, and have farm depth? And wouldn't have sufficient farm or need to just go get Gray on their own?

According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, the Yankees are "making progress toward" a trade with the A's that would involve both Sonny Gray and Yonder Alonso.

Feinsand notes that Oakland has been "heavily scouting the Yankees' system of late." Gray is also believed to be drawing serious trade interest from the Nationals, Dodgers, Astros, and Braves. The 27-year-old right-hander holds a 3.66 ERA, 1.176 WHIP, and 85/28 K/BB ratio in 91 innings this season and he is under contractual control through 2019. Alonso, a 30-year-old first baseman batting .264/.363/.535 with 21 home runs in 89 games, is scheduled to become a free agent this winter.

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

I would also note that the A's would almost certainly not want to send a controllable piece to the Angels, a Division rival unless the return was so good they could not refuse the deal.

I don't think Beane is too concerned with that. Gray is only under contract two more years, and Oakland is firmly in a rebuild. They're not likely to contend next year.

If anything, Beane could see a trade with the Angels as an opportunity to set their farm back again and make their future path a little clearer. A Gray trade would signal the Angels, Mariners, and Astros as being in win now mode for the immediate future. The Angels would be really putting emphasis on the '17-'20 clubs and subtracting some focus from more of the '18 and beyond focus they're on now.