• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Meyer leads 1-hit shutout as Halos stall Nats

I have great hope for this organization when I see young guys not named Tropeano, Skaggs or Richards (the walking wounded) pitching this well. Bridwell and Meyer could be a big plus for this organization, if they continue this kind of pitching. It means we can look for legitimate bats to put around Trout, instead of finding starters.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Are the road struggles due to not being used to those mounds?   Or rattled easily by opposing fans?   Or both?

The hits AND BB's are not good at all on the road.   It's like he misses outside the zone AND misses in the zone so much on the road.  

Some of it is just small sample size, good opponents, and hitting environment.

He was trounced in Seattle his second start of the season and the Mariners are a good offensive team. The Twins beat up on him and they're a solid team. The Red Sox beat up on him in Fenway because Fenway. He didn't last long in the Mets game because he wasn't pitching well, but also an NL park which tends to shorten AL pitchers outings as it is. 

He's obviously more comfortable at home but I'm not stressing the home/road splits yet. 

Call me crazy, but go look at Randy Johnson's age 27 season and look up Alex Meyer's stats for this season.  Small sample size caveats aside, it wouldn't surprise me if Meyer starts figuring it out next season and lower his walk rate and a have a very good season.  Randy Johnson had a very wild streak in his early career much like Meyer. Johnson didn't really figure it out until his late 20s and then absolutely dominated for the next decade and pitched till he was 45 to become the Hall of Famer that he is now.  Johnson and Meyer are very similar in height and build, but obviously Johnson's stuff was much better and Johnson's career arch isn't very typical as he had his most dominant run in his mid 30s.  Meyer has shown the same type of ability to completely fool hitters and has the stuff to miss bats and avoid hard contact.  Can he be the next Randy Johnson?  Most likely not, but what I'm saying is that he could be a very effective pitcher and have a very solid career if he ever figures it out.  I also wished Scioscia left him in there to try and get the shutout, 7-0 lead and pitching at home while only giving up 1 hit and 1 walk with a reasonable pitch count, what more does a guy have to do to try and get the shutout?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsra05.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/meyeral01.shtml

Randy Johnson through age 27: 4.01 ERA, 99 ERA+, 4.08 FIP, 1.43 WHIP, 7.3 H9, 0.8 HR9, 5.6 BB9, 8.5 K9
Alex Meyer as an Angel: 3.94 ERA, 107 ERA+, 4.07 FIP, 1.35 WHIP, 6.6 H9, 0.8 HR9, 5.6 BB9, 10 K9

Only difference is 500 IP but still very comparable. I did deduct Meyer's Twins' stats simply because they were absolutely freaking terrible and a very small sample size and really skewed things.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Are the road struggles due to not being used to those mounds?   Or rattled easily by opposing fans?   Or both?

The hits AND BB's are not good at all on the road.   It's like he misses outside the zone AND misses in the zone so much on the road.  

Remember Ervin Santana used to have that problem? Didn't they have him come and sit down in the dugout early to simulate a home start?