• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Jimmy Piersall

I remember watching an Angels game way back when and he played all 9 positions. There was also a game where he stole second base, and then stole back first base. The catcher didn't know what to do about that, or where to throw.  If I recall correctly (maybe I don't, but), the umps talked, and realized there was no rule against it, so the play stood.

I wonder if they ever created a rule against that. Anyways, i liked him when he played for the Angels, he was always smiling and laughing then.

Piersall passes away the week the ChiSox announce that Hawk Harrelson will be back in the booth for his 34th season.

Harrelson annually wins (usually very easily) the WORST broadcaster in baseball label.

RIP Jimmy Piersall -- Fear Strikes Out.

Trivia -- can you name another former Halo who sort of set a precedent in MLB re treatment of mental issues/ compensation?

fan_since 79 -- that's it !!!

Marvin Miller the legendary player's association rep literally went to bat for Alex Johnson after he was traded from the Angels (I think he went to Philadelphia and perhaps St. Louis after that) -- Johnson's antics and angry attitude wore thin in team clubhouses and he was traded often despite his ability as a true professional hitter.

Marvin Miller took the time to talk with Johnson and review his situation. He checked his medical issues and was able to get confirmation that Johnson was bi-polar and suffered mental episodes that would lead Johnson to outbursts of violent rage.

Piersall may have been the poster boy for mental illness issues in MLB but the first player to be compensated by MLB for having a mental condition diagnosis and being unable to play because of it was Alex Johnson because of the behind the scene work and lobbying of Marvin Miller.

On a side note, I there was a poster here (might have been pinetar -- author of Once They Were Angels) who posted here and may have written in one of his books as well, that despite the reputation Alex Johnson had and the well documented 'incidents' involving him (Chico Ruiz and the gun in the dugout incident for one) that as a player interacting with the fans, no Halos player was more accommodating and nicer than Alex Johnson who would sign autographs for kids and fans and be very nice to them.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:51 AM, greginpsca said:

When he played for the Angels, before every televised game  he had an instructional show teaching kids the right way to play. Each episode was centered around a different position. maybe the best instructional show for kids that i remember seeing. 

I think this continued after he retired.