• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

With Mike Trout out for up to two months, is it finally time for the Angels to sell?

31 minutes ago, heRo said:

Take last night as an example. What if we had traded Trout a month ago for, say, 3 pretty good positional players.  Instead of Marte grounding into a triple play and missing an infield popup,our "new" guys hit in even 1 extra run and make the routine plays.  Angels win!  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

that theory is never going to work. baseball is a game of under average number, cohesively. you're more likely to fail than succeed. saying anyone is going to do something hypothetically great is not the norm...which is why when they do they go down in history.

trout is the best player in the game but hits ~.300 that means ~70% of the time he is going to fail. throw in one of these hypothetical players and the odds are even worse.

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

good thread hijack gents.

as to the op's question, i didn't read the article but did read the posts. i'm sure everything is on the table, but with trout he is a generational player. now, generally speaking with baseball, it's a team sport. so ideally you want a good team and not just a good player...which we have. the problem with trading trout is the angels will never get fair value. it reminds me of when the lakers traded shaq because he requested it. i think ultimately they knew they were going to get hosed because he was arguably the most dominant player in the game. however, the angels aren't put in that position to where you take the best offer.

for trout you pretty much need half a team (essentially) that produces at some decent clip. i'm a math/numbers guy but not big into saber metrics or baseball analytics., so i couldn't tell you what that means. from understanding value and roi, one needs a good haul and one that produces to trade him.

by the way, good to see your name again bobby. haven't seen you since the super bowl party at justin's when corey won betting but was too drunk to collect so i stuffed the money in his pocket. hope all is well dude.

You must also remember that when Shaq left Orlando he said it was time for him to leave because he was a Big Fish in a small pond. Remember that everything in professional sports is about winning and capturing the Big Stage. It's going to happen for Trout eventually. He definitely wants to win.

6 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

You must also remember that when Shaq left Orlando he said it was time for him to leave because he was a Big Fish in a small pond. Remember that everything in professional sports is about winning and capturing the Big Stage. It's going to happen for Trout eventually. He definitely wants to win.

I also believe Trout wants to win but I'm not convinced it's his #1 priority yet. 

7 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

the situation was greatly different. orlando just came off the finals and there was a power struggle between him and penny....they talk about it in some 30 for 30. he also left as a fa, not a trade.

shaq went from the finals to a team that wasn't quite close to the level as orlando. to be honest, shaq came out here to brand. he was rapping and doing movies at the same time. we just happened to get some kid named kobe bryant and a dynasty was born.

at a guaranteed 100 mil, you're kind of set. then it becomes winning because being set with money there becomes challenges and simple boredom to deal with.

plus, when you start as strong as trout has, he has the possibility to be the best player of all-time. that has to be motivating.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I think he wants to play closer to home ... if that holds true I hope he doesn't used the Angels as a negotiating pawn. 

If he wants to play somewhere else I hope he uses the Angels to drive up his price.  I want that team to pay him the largest contract ever, to blow up their luxury tax space. 

12 hours ago, CALZONE said:

The Yankees might just do that. They have a couple of holes to fill. Just a couple.

That's approaching 1 billion dollars in contract money. While the Yankees are the only team who would probably consider that, it doesn't make sense from their perspective, considering they've already built up a good team and will need money to re-up Sanchez, Judge, Severino, etc. down the road. Although one of Harper, Trout, Machado or even Otani seems inevitable. 

18 minutes ago, Brent Maguire said:

That's approaching 1 billion dollars in contract money. While the Yankees are the only team who would probably consider that, it doesn't make sense from their perspective, considering they've already built up a good team and will need money to re-up Sanchez, Judge, Severino, etc. down the road. Although one of Harper, Trout, Machado or even Otani seems inevitable. 

Dynasty in the making.