• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto

Dipoto also inherited $350+ million to fix it. Reagins never got that checkbook.

Of course he did. He just used it very poorly...much of it on Wells, some of it on Kazmir, Fuentes, etc...

He tried to get Crawford and Beltre but didn't succeed. So it's not like Arte wasn't willing to open the checkbook for Reagins. He was just really piss-poor at executing.

LOL@thinking the Cubs would take just Bourjos.

So then that leaves an outfield (currently) of Shuck, Trout, and Hamilton? No thanks.

If Hamilton needs a mental day off you could always move Trumbo to RF, Trout CF, Shuck LF and Conger at DH. Then pray we don't have to pinch hit for Iannetta for any reason.

#screwed

Garza scare the crap out of me.  Plus, I think Bourjos is out for awhile.  F it though.  Bring up Cron, put Trumbo in LF and let it ride.

Trumbo > Shuck defensively

Cron ? Trumbo at 1B

Pujols = DH

We'll do it live. We'll DO IT LIVE, F*** IT!

#OReilly

Relief: This where JD gets the most flack. Last year he traded for Frieri and that was a great move. Burnett and Madson were great additions....except they're hurt. Jepsen was great coming back last year and was supposed to help us big time. And now he is hurt. 3 guys who were supposed to be KEY for us are hurt. How is that JD's fault?

Because two of those guys were hurt when he signed them?   Two of them were rehabbing arm surgeries.   How is that NOT on him?

BTW, I was a pretty loud proponent of signing Carlos Villanueva, he fit the whole FB, pitcher profile JD was looking for only he was working on a three year run where he pitched more innings than hits allowed.   He's put up a 2.85 ERA so far, and he signed for two years ten mil total.   Honestly my biggest concern when it came to the SPs was Tommy Hanson's health.   Vargas has been Vargas, Blanton has been worse than usual.

I said Morales was gone in season last year -- Trumbo could fake it at two positions, was under club control, was cheaper.  I don't fault JD there, outside of AM32 and the usual kneejerker chorus I don't recall people really bemoaning keeping Trumbo.  

Getting rid of Wells was a great move.  Letting Hunter go was fine until they signed Hamilton to that contract.   Hunter at 2 years 26 mil total was a far lesser risk than anything they would have had to pay JH.

This team isn't as bad as it's played, it's had a perfect storm of events early on but this is the worst pitching staff we have had since Patt Rapp and Ismael Valdes were donning periwinkle based on potential upside and that's entirely on JD.

Great analysis Oregon. Just to clarify the SP issue. Anibal signed for 5 yr, $80m which is insane. The Angels would have had to get in a bidding war with that.

Instead they spent 5 years 125 million on a player they simply didn't need.   If not insanity, it sure was foolhardy.

giving a blockbuster contract to someone in his 30s is never a good idea. i don't understand why most fans seem to take umbrage with his pitcher deals while having no problem with the pujols and hamilton signings. his pitcher moves were actually the more reasonable ones.

I don't mind the Puols deal as much as I do the Hamilton deal, one bad contract is something a team with the Angels resources can deal with.  AP is more money and longer but I do believe he was more than just a bat.   Hamilton? meh.  Right now he reminds me of the Gary Gaetti signing.  They let Chili Davis go to get Gaetti, only to have the Rat implode while Davis went on being Chili Davis.

BTW, I wanted Fielder.

Completely agree. Dipoto is in his second year, and he spent the first one trying to restore some semblance of competitiveness after the shambles of the Reagins years. Anybody who believed that this was all going to be fixed in two off-seasons wasn't realistic about the state of the club Dipoto inherited. Given his owner's dogged pursuit of Pujols and Hamilton and the resultant cost of those two signings, he wasn't going to assemble a staff of Cy Young winners. My assessment is that he acquired who he could with what he had available, and those might not have been the moves he would have preferred to make. 

IMO the Angels have to wait this out and let Dipoto's plan unfold.  Problem of course is that you have a lot of fans that want an instant fix and cant keep from stomping their feet because the team hasn't made the playoffs in three years.  Had the Angels said they were doing a rebuild and signed/traded these guys instead of promoting them as a team for the ages maybe the uproar wouldnt be so bad.   

Rebuilding doesn't always mean trading everyone off and spending next to nothing.  The last thing I want to see them do now fire Dipoto and go in a completely different direction.  Dipoto needs to take his lumps and the criticism like Stoneman did early on.  He might even learn how to stand up to Arte if he does.

Re-building doesn't involve signing big deals to players in their 30's and losing draft picks in the process.

It doesn't NOT involve signing them either.  It actually involves a little of both, but you're right... the loss of draft picks hurts when a team isn't failing miserably while trying to rebuild.   There is more than one way to skin a cat and I hope the Angels management is smart enough to be creative.

The Tigers are a good recent example of a team that signed FA's to try to fix themselves, they went from 119 losses in 2003, to 95 wins and a WS appearance in 2006 by spending money and drafting well.  Mags and Irod were both signed to big deals post age 30, the Mags deal was met with a ton of criticism after he had been seen as a bust in Chicago -- Kenny Rogers got a three year deal and I believe he was 40.

The big advantage they had over the Angels is they were able to sign FAs and not lose picks due to how awful they had been.  Detroit lost 96, 106, 119, 90, and 91 games in that five year run that preceded their return to respectability.  

Wonder how many people would commit to an extended rebuilding cycle.

i hated getting Pujols....hitting multiple homers in the World Series....possibly the best hitter in the game....Horrible!

Should we go Manny Ramirez and Barry Bonds too? Vlad Guerrero is out there. Age catches up with everybody. The job of a GM is to pay players for what they WILL do not what they HAVE done 

IMO the Angels have to wait this out and let Dipoto's plan unfold.  Problem of course is that you have a lot of fans that want an instant fix and cant keep from stomping their feet because the team hasn't made the playoffs in three years.  Had the Angels said they were doing a rebuild and signed/traded these guys instead of promoting them as a team for the ages maybe the uproar wouldnt be so bad.   

Rebuilding doesn't always mean trading everyone off and spending next to nothing.  The last thing I want to see them do now fire Dipoto and go in a completely different direction.  Dipoto needs to take his lumps and the criticism like Stoneman did early on.  He might even learn how to stand up to Arte if he does.

I would have been fine with a rebuild. 

When you rebuild you don't sign two older players for 15 years 365 million and trade away our best prospects for Greinke 

I think the best deal Dipoto made is the one he made with the Angels as the interim GM of the DBacks...

My biggest problem was the signing of Joe Blanton.  That signing took place early in the FA process... Dec. 5.  Never in my wildest dreams could I see Blanton signing for two years and $15 million.  How does Blanton sign in December and Kyle Lohse not sign till the spring?  Too many better pitchers were available and some for less than what Blanton signed for.  It just doesn't make sense.

I'm willing to give Dipoto the benefit of the doubt.  He hasn't been on the job long enough, IMO.  Acquiring Iannetta and Frieri were good moves. I like the Burnett signing too.

I think the best deal Dipoto made is the one he made with the Angels as the interim GM of the DBacks...

My biggest problem was the signing of Joe Blanton.  That signing took place early in the FA process... Dec. 5.  Never in my wildest dreams could I see Blanton signing for two years and $15 million.  How does Blanton sign in December and Kyle Lohse not sign till the spring?  Too many better pitchers were available and some for less than what Blanton signed for.  It just doesn't make sense.

I'm willing to give Dipoto the benefit of the doubt.  He hasn't been on the job long enough, IMO.  Acquiring Iannetta and Frieri were good moves. I like the Burnett signing too.

Two words: Scott Boras

I would have been fine with a rebuild. 

When you rebuild you don't sign two older players for 15 years 365 million and trade away our best prospects for Greinke 

Thats' great -- I would have been fine with a lot of things, but the reality is they didn't take a step back and rebuild, so it's all moot.

Not sure people realize that when they say we could really use Skaggs and Corbin, that those were not only Reagin's blunders, but that trade was executed by none other than Jerry Dipoto, who was the acting GM for Arizona at the time.  The media HATED him for not accepting the Yankees offer of Jesus Montero and Dellin Betances, both of which were highly rated and both of which have severely flopped so far.  Angels fans and most fans in general called the deal an absolute heist, not yet knowing that Saunders would be himself in Arizona and that Corbin and Skaggs would eventually turn into really solid young lefties.  

This goes to show you a few things.

1. Yankees prospects are ALL over rated.

2. The media is in the Yankees pocket. 

3. Dipoto saw value in three inexpensive LHP under team control that others apparently overlooked. 

4. The trading away of prospects isn't just a Dipoto trend, Reagins dug that hole, Dipoto simply inherited such a ditch, dropped the prospects of value with other teams (Pena, Segura, Chatwood, Hellweg) and has essentially started from scratch.  It'll take a while to fill that hole, but it will happen.