• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto

Not sure people realize that when they say we could really use Skaggs and Corbin, that those were not only Reagin's blunders, but that trade was executed by none other than Jerry Dipoto, who was the acting GM for Arizona at the time.  The media HATED him for not accepting the Yankees offer of Jesus Montero and Dellin Betances, both of which were highly rated and both of which have severely flopped so far.  Angels fans and most fans in general called the deal an absolute heist, not yet knowing that Saunders would be himself in Arizona and that Corbin and Skaggs would eventually turn into really solid young lefties.  

This goes to show you a few things.

1. Yankees prospects are ALL over rated.

2. The media is in the Yankees pocket. 

3. Dipoto saw value in three inexpensive LHP under team control that others apparently overlooked. 

4. The trading away of prospects isn't just a Dipoto trend, Reagins dug that hole, Dipoto simply inherited such a ditch, dropped the prospects of value with other teams (Pena, Segura, Chatwood, Hellweg) and has essentially started from scratch.  It'll take a while to fill that hole, but it will happen. 

The Angels own website lists Reagins getting fleeced in that trade as the highlight of Dipoto's CV.

I think in hindsight our last two GM's make Bill Stoneman look incredibly brilliant. He did way more with a lot less $$$ and brought us a WS and many division flags.

With the discussion of all the failings of this team, and distribution of blame,  You have to include Dipoto in the conversation. The offense he built is awesome and I have no idea that sooner or later these guys are going to get really pissed and start putting up a 20 run game or two. However, the pitching is hardly noticeable and will not keep us in half the games unless they figure something out.

This team reminds me of the old Texas rangers, could always tear the cover off the ball but would lose because of their pitching and finish consistently at the bottom of the ALWest.

Of course he did. He just used it very poorly...much of it on Wells, some of it on Kazmir, Fuentes, etc...

He tried to get Crawford and Beltre but didn't succeed. So it's not like Arte wasn't willing to open the checkbook for Reagins. He was just really piss-poor at executing.

I also remember one year that Reagins arrived at the Winter Meetings very late, and a lot of trade discussions were already going on between other clubs. It was as if he saw no need to worry about being on time, or talking to any other GMs about potential deals.

There are no moves to be made.  This is the team.  Sink or swim.

Deal with it.

If there are moves to be made, IMO they won't be major impact type moves, but rather of the complimentary piece type. There is no looming blockbuster deal out there that will change the course of the season.

Vargas trade is looking pretty good.  I was iffy on it... mostly because I was hoping for more.   Morales is doing fairly well, but getting Bourjos in the lineup... if it had continued... was a win.    

Rotation is coming around.  Bullpen is, too, even with Madson and Burnett out.  A bullpen of those two, Frieri, Jepsen, Kohn, and Downs can be very good.  De La Rosa has been pretty good.   I questioned that trade, too, but see the potential with De La Rosa.  Geltz has been his typical self in AAA.  Lots of whiffs.  

The neglect of the pitching staff has been greatly exaggerated.  

Vargas trade is looking pretty good.  I was iffy on it... mostly because I was hoping for more.   Morales is doing fairly well, but getting Bourjos in the lineup... if it had continued... was a win.    

Rotation is coming around.  Bullpen is, too, even with Madson and Burnett out.  A bullpen of those two, Frieri, Jepsen, Kohn, and Downs can be very good.  De La Rosa has been pretty good.   I questioned that trade, too, but see the potential with De La Rosa.  Geltz has been his typical self in AAA.  Lots of whiffs.  

not to be a 'fly in the ointment', but the rotation currently includes blanton, enright and williams.  I like the positivity though. 

Hi Dipoto.  

I'll be a realist about this topic.  The rotation that Dipoto built has improved greatly in the last couple weeks............... as expected.........   even without Weaver.   There is more to this slow start than the pitching staff Dipoto built.    There's injuries and a couple guys in the middle of the lineup that were seemingly more owner-inspired acquisitions.   

Honestly the only move I hated the day it happened was Blanton - that's the one that makes no sense all if his other moves can be rationalized in some way

What were your thoughts on the proposed Dan Haren for Carlos Marmol trade?

That came slightly before the Blanton signing and was the first move that killed the whole "JeDi" buzz for me

What were your thoughts on the proposed Dan Haren for Carlos Marmol trade?

That came slightly before the Blanton signing and was the first move that killed the whole "JeDi" buzz for me

Yah.  Marmol is damaged goods.  The idea of getting a serviceable reliever for a guy that they weren't going to keep anyway was with good intentions.  Too bad Marmol wouldn't have been useful.  The downside is that they put that money toward big Joe.  It's almost as if they'd have been better off getting marmol and going cheaper on a back end starter.  Although none of the other cheaper guys available have done much either.  Would have been a crap shoot as well.