• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$400 million for Bryce Harper? 'Don't sell me short,' he says

Chuck

4 hours ago, #CF8 said:

Not only self-appointed  Angels spokesperson, now also Angels CFO/GM.

What the fuck is your problem?  Everyone on here speaks in absolutes about Trout leaving, and it's cool.  I simply say of course they can afford him, because they can, as can the other 5 or so teams with $100 million annual tv contracts. 

2 hours ago, heRo said:

The TV contract is worth about 150MM a year. Payroll is already well past that.  They have 24 other players to pay, along with a whole bunch of other expenses. COULD we afford Trout, yes I guess technically we could.  But it would leave us nothing to fill all the other gaping holes in this team.  Basically you'd have the same thing you have now.

Then no team can afford him except the Dodgers.  Very few other teams have that kind of tv contract and zero debt.  And all other teams will have to sign 24 other players.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

What the fuck is your problem?  Everyone on here speaks in absolutes about Trout leaving, and it's cool.  I simply say of course they can afford him, because they can, as can the other 5 or so teams with $100 million annual tv contracts. 

why so agro?

You have no idea what the Angels financials look like.

Anywho, when you start blowing a fuse on a message board it might be a good idea to focus on other parts of your life for a bit.

On 5/14/2017 at 3:43 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Bryce Harper could be the Ted Williams of this era: the most dangerous player at the plate, but disliked by everyone, including his teammates.

Ted Williams was hated by teammates? 

On 5/14/2017 at 10:14 PM, heRo said:

No one player is worth that much.  You'd be way better off hedging your bets with two 200MM players.

Think how many giant contracts have gone south.

What if I don't care if eventually trouts contract goes south? He's the one player who if he's wearing out uniform he's above reproach or worry.!

On 5/14/2017 at 7:38 PM, heRo said:

Trout seems nice enough but what makes you think he won't chase the money?  Anyone in his situation would.  He's on the opposite side of the country from his and his soon to be wife's families,playing for a team that stinks.  You are daydreaming if you think he'll stay here for less money "just because".

Im not saying youre wrong, not by any stretch. But the "hes from the east coast" thing is really overblown. He (and his wife) are happy as hell in newport....

That wont be what it comes down to in the end. But the him being from jersey wont either.

The team definetely needs to build a tram around him and give him a chance to win here. Currently it doesnt look good, but there is still way more time to deal with the issue than people think.

12 hours ago, heRo said:

The TV contract is worth about 150MM a year. Payroll is already well past that.  They have 24 other players to pay, along with a whole bunch of other expenses. COULD we afford Trout, yes I guess technically we could.  But it would leave us nothing to fill all the other gaping holes in this team.  Basically you'd have the same thing you have now.

Sorry hero you can't speculate that the Angels can't afford Trout because you don't know their financials, that's the new rule according to cf8.  Despite knowing the tv contract, the stadium deal, the payroll and the fact Arte bought the team in cash.  We don't have all the financials so we shouldn't talk about or speculate about this stuff.  I wish we could but cf8.  

We all know that they can afford to sign Trout ... they're hoping Trout signs a team friendly extension before he becomes a free agent. 

If not, then I don't like our chances in free agency. 

7/266M extension with a three year opt out clause. That guarantees us six more seasons after this season. Trout can opt out at the age of 31 if he wants and still get a Mega deal. 

I think if you front load the contract a tad it may be tempting. 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:01 PM, heRo said:

The hope would be the Angels continue to build up the farm and by the time 2020 rolls around, they've developed a system that will help supplement Trout and allow him to want to stay in Anaheim. I like what Eppler has done so far but time will tell if he's built up a team that will make Trout want to stay with the Angels. If Thaiss, Jones, Marsh, Barria, etc. can become solid young ballplayers by that time comes around, the money for Trout won't matter as much. If the system is still not good by then, it's obviously an issue that would be similar to what is happening now(not enough young talent or money to supplement Trout). 

On 5/15/2017 at 10:01 PM, heRo said:

The National TV deal is worth 1.6 Billion -- split 30 ways.  Last year MLBAM topped 1.3 -- again, split 30 ways and that money is expected to go through the roof now that MLB is supplying streaming services for a bunch of people...    That's money in their pockets before taking the local TV deals into consideration and then the gate money and concessions.

MLBAM may be MLBs biggest source of income before long -- MLB's owners turned their 1 mil a year (each) contribution into a massive case cow...

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The National TV deal is worth 1.6 Billion -- split 30 ways.  Last year MLBAM topped 1.3 -- again, split 30 ways and that money is expected to go through the roof now that MLB is supplying streaming services for a bunch of people...    That's money in their pockets before taking the local TV deals into consideration and then the gate money and concessions.

MLBAM may be MLBs biggest source of income before long -- MLB's owners turned their 1 mil a year (each) contribution into a massive case cow...

No doubt the money is there but at the end of the day it comes down to the luxury tax threshold. It's pretty clear the Angels want to remain under the luxury tax. 

How about this - let's enjoy Trout in a Halos uni while we have him.

Count me among those who think we can't keep him and that as his contract gets about a year from its end, Halos will be literally forced to trade him to a team that he agrees to a long term contract with - Yankees & Phillies would not only open their bank vaults to sign him but Trout would want to go there- then we wind up sort of with another Vlad/ Pujols situation - do they enter the HOF as Halos ?

No doubt in my mind Pujols goes in as a Cardinal.

Vlad - not so sure.

Trout? If it's Yankees where he winds up - well East Coast probably trumps Anaheim

Only scenario I see Halos extending Trout is if Arte finds a buyer for the Halos , puts together a deal to sell the Club and the new corporate ownership (not a sole proprietor trying to navigate the MLB waters with the mega corporate giants) anticipating a new media deal , get involved in the extension discussions

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

How about this - let's enjoy Trout in a Halos uni while we have him.

Count me among those who think we can't keep him and that as his contract gets about a year from its end, Halos will be literally forced to trade him to a team that he agrees to a long term contract with - Yankees & Phillies would not only open their bank vaults to sign him but Trout would want to go there- then we wind up sort of with another Vlad/ Pujols situation - do they enter the HOF as Halos ?

No doubt in my mind Pujols goes in as a Cardinal.

Vlad - not so sure.

Trout? If it's Yankees where he winds up - well East Coast probably trumps Anaheim

I don't think Arte is making anything a priority. He can't even fix the stadium in a timely matter. I think the team that can provide the right amount of money, a winning environment and a comfortable stadium experience will get his services. It may seem minor but I think Trout would like to show up to work in a modern stadium. He may wish to experience playing in National League parks or even spend his spring training in the Grapefruit league. 

IMG_6457.JPG

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

On 5/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I doubt Harper's ego would let him play on the same team with Trout. But it is fun to think about, and would be one of the greatest two-player tandems in major league history.

@totdprods, I love Trout's start so far this year, but chances are he eventually settles down in the .300-.320/.410-.440/.550-.600 range. I'd love to see him hit .330+/.450+/.600+, but am not expecting it.

Gherig and Ruth are the greatest two player tandems ever in baseball. 

Gherig's 1934 stats were incredible. He led the AL in all categories for the triple crown (which didn't exist at the time) .363/.465/.706/1.172 /49 HR 166 RBI 10.4 WAR and he came up 5th in MVP voting. Mickey Cochran was first with a 4.0 WAR. Talk about getting it do wrong.