• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerome Williams

I absolutely LOVE Williams in long relief. I don't know if hitters don't study him before a series if he is in relief like they do if he is starting or what, but he is much better in the long role. But he almost never does well when he is starting. And that's fine. I don't need him to be a starter for him to help this team. What he did in the 19 inning game was amazing. He has been great for us this season. But he does not work as a starter for us and he hasn't for quite some time. I think it was a dumb decision to have him start today. Richards had one bad game as a starter and now he is back in the pen? He was our best pitcher for a few games and in relief since the demotion, he has been pretty bad. I don't know who made that decision, but it wasn't a good one

One thing I noticed about this last start.  Beginning of the game, he had lots of controlled movement in his pitches.  But towards the end, the movement wasn't there.  

They did show one instance, early in the game, when they showed a slow motion of his pitch.  Grip was firm, but it looked almost like a screwball throwing motion.  A screwball is against a normal throwing motion, and must be taxing on the arm.  I'm thinking that's why later in the game, the movement just isn't there.  The strain just gets to be you can't do it as effectively as early in the game.  Thus the wildness/lack of movement.  

Just a theory.  But he seems best first, and sometimes second time through the lineup.  But after that, seems so hittable after that.  

I absolutely LOVE Williams in long relief. I don't know if hitters don't study him before a series if he is in relief like they do if he is starting or what, but he is much better in the long role.

Interesting point. You may be right. The one guy on the opposing pitching staff that you probably don't spend a lot of time preparing for as a hitter is the long reliever. The starters get your attention because you will definitely see them, and the short relievers do because there is a good chance you will see them at least once or twice in a series. The long guy, you only see him if the starter absolutely sucks or he gets injured early in the game. Chances are much less than you will face him in a series.

Richards has a tough game in his last start and people wanted to see Jerome.

Jerome had a tough start and now people want to see Richards.

I have a feeling this will be a continuous cycle.

Richards numbers as a starter aren't good. Last year he was 3-2, 4.42 ERA and 1.60 WHIP. His 2013 starts so far are 2-2, 5.54 ERA and 1.12 WHIP. It is encouraging to see his K/BB ratio improve thus improving his WHIP.

That being said the same can be said for Jerome. But I would give Jerome another start. Richards' first start this year was similar to Jerome's, and he bounced back with a solid performance. Regardless, either pitcher is valuable to the team in the pen. It's a tough call to see which will be the better starter though.

I think MS needs to stick Williams in either the rotation or the pen.  The same can be said for Richards.  They are probably thinking they need to be perfect every time in every role.  This added uncertainty can't possibly help.  After all, they are our 5th starters and 5th starters are expected to struggle from time to time.

Richards has a tough game in his last start and people wanted to see Jerome.

Jerome had a tough start and now people want to see Richards.

I have a feeling this will be a continuous cycle.

Richards numbers as a starter aren't good. Last year he was 3-2, 4.42 ERA and 1.60 WHIP. His 2013 starts so far are 2-2, 5.54 ERA and 1.12 WHIP. It is encouraging to see his K/BB ratio improve thus improving his WHIP.

That being said the same can be said for Jerome. But I would give Jerome another start. Richards' first start this year was similar to Jerome's, and he bounced back with a solid performance. Regardless, either pitcher is valuable to the team in the pen. It's a tough call to see which will be the better starter though.

I don't remember anyone suggesting Jerome replace Richards. I do remember people suggesting Jerome replace Blanton.