• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our offense sucks

On 4/16/2017 at 10:32 PM, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Heaney and Tropeano will be coming back and Skaggs/Richards will be another year removed from injury (granted Richards comes back).  There will be more payroll freed up and a better FA class available then this last offseason.  There are some guys in the farm like Thaiss who may be at the point where they can start competing for a spot on the roster.  

You're sure are putting a lot of faith in two young, unproven pitchers coming off injuries 

Too much salary wasted on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson. Seems like $9M going to Street is going to be waste this year too. There goes around $80M dollars to trashcan. That's why we have been just picking up those midgets that other teams don't wanna sign on the market. Can't expect to have a good team until those burdens go away

22 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Pujols looks done. Only four more years on his contract. Sigh.

if he were a FA This past offseason I doubt he lands more than Beltran or Holliday. 

He would have gotten something decent on a one year contract. He's coming off a year in which he was 3rd in the major leagues in RBI's and he's going to hit his 600th HR this year barring serious injury.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

You're sure are putting a lot of faith in two young, unproven pictures coming off injuries 

Two young guys who put up solid numbers and who looked good when they were up.  Both pitched about 100 innings/20 games started for the Angels and put up very solid numbers both around 3.60 ERA.  Both are relatively young.  Combine that with freed up salary and there should be much more to look forward to in the rotation than there is this year.  I never said those two were going to be aces.  If Richards comes back and stays healthy, Shoe pitches like he should, and Skaggs continues to develop then you really only need one guy to step up.  We have plenty of #5 guys this year.  If one of Heaney, Tropeano, or Meyer steps up next year then you are looking at a solid rotation.  

On top of that we still have not seen this year play out.  What if Marte or Cron have a break out year?  Simmons is already looking very solid at the plate. Even without adding a FA the offense could be very solid.  I said they will likely contend next year.  Doesn't mean I think they are going to be the best team in the league.

1 hour ago, YouthofToday said:

if he were a FA This past offseason I doubt he lands more than Beltran or Holliday. 

He is done. He's been pretty much overpaid junk since 2013 season. He has HRs and RBIs but let's be realistic. He's getting all those HRs sacrificing batting avg, with OBP barely over 0.300, and OPS below 0.800 for 5 consecutive seasons. Sosh never took him out of #4 spot, and we have our 3 best hitters in front of him, and he has somebody that reaches on base by 44% of chance, steals base 30 times, and has wheel to score from 1st or 2nd base on any kind of base hit right in front of him. Literally any Major league level player would have gotten big RBI numbers if he has Yunel Escobar, Kole Calhoun, and Mike Trout in front of him and the manager never takes him out of #4 spot even if he bats like 0.200 for entire month. Pujols has 31 HRs and 119 RBIs for 2016 campaign, but with those big numbers, his OPS is 0.780 and WAR is 0.00. That pretty much sums up. His big numbers for HRs and RBIs don't mean anything at this point. He's just hurting this team.

3 hours ago, jchalos89 said:

Too much salary wasted on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson. Seems like $9M going to Street is going to be waste this year too. There goes around $80M dollars to trashcan. That's why we have been just picking up those midgets that other teams don't wanna sign on the market. Can't expect to have a good team until those burdens go away

this ^^^^

Great deals at GOODWILL.

6 hours ago, jchalos89 said:

Too much salary wasted on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson.

Wilson is no longer getting a paycheck from Arte. Hamilton will off the books come October. Next year Heaney, Tropeano return and a nice crop of FA are ripe for the picking and with Hamilton, Escobar, Espinosa, Street, Maybin, Revere, Nolasco, and others coming off the books we will be able to spend on free agents again and that is exactly what Arte has promised to do. Although I have heard similar stories from him before and we ended up with Last years team.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Wilson is no longer getting a paycheck from Arte. Hamilton will off the books come October. Next year Heaney, Tropeano return and a nice crop of FA are ripe for the picking and with Hamilton, Escobar, Espinosa, Street, Maybin, Revere, Nolasco, and others coming off the books we will be able to spend on free agents again and that is exactly what Arte has promised to do. Although I have heard similar stories from him before and we ended up with Last years team.

Yeah, I'm not so sure that they spend much money on FA in the future. Arte was burned pretty bad the last time he did that. We'll see though 

10 hours ago, gurn67 said:

He would have gotten something decent on a one year contract. He's coming off a year in which he was 3rd in the major leagues in RBI's and he's going to hit his 600th HR this year barring serious injury.

Front offices don't give out contracts based on RBI numbers. Seriously?

I'm good friends with a front office staff member on a team in the NL (not the Dodgers). He sees Pujols as completely done. 

10 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

Even when he does hit a home run, the way he huffs and puffs going around the bases it looks like he could collapse at any moment due to a heart attack or stroke. 

In his condition there's no way he'd land more than either of those guys.

Exaggerated crouching at the plate every MLB at bat since 2001 will cause fast decline in a hitter.    Arte, in his scouting duties in the off-season after 2011, neglected to think of things like that.    Here's hoping Arte learned his lesson, and trusts his scouts to do all of that scouting work from now on.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure that they spend much money on FA in the future. Arte was burned pretty bad the last time he did that. We'll see though 

Arte was burned with Hamilton and to a lessor degree Wilson and Pujols. Without Pujols though he would not have gotten the $3B TV deal. That's $150M/year for 20 years. Not all of his FA signings were bad, remember Vladimir Guerrero, Torii Hunter?

I think Arte hopefully has learned from his mistakes and will be more careful selecting FA that are less likely to be duds.