• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where the pitching stands

after 11 games:

Team ERA  5.10 (28th in MLB)

Starters' ERA  5.99

55 Earned Runs Allowed (worst in MLB)

Richards on DL, out indefinitely

Huston Street out until at least May

Andrew Bailey on DL with right shoulder inflammation, no return date

Strangely enough, our pitchers' BAA is .242, which is good enough for the middle of the pack in MLB (14th place)

And there's this, WHIP 1.227 (8th best in baseball)

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

after 11 games:

Starters' ERA  5.99

Strangely enough, our pitchers' BAA is .242, which is good enough for the middle of the pack in MLB (14th place)

After reading that I'd saying we're standing on a big pile of steamy shit

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

after 11 games:

Starters' ERA  5.99

the pen has been decently solid actually.  Cam, Parker, Bailey (when healthy), Norris, Alvarez and Petit have all been good.  Daniel Wright is terrible and has shown exactly that.  Morin isn't very good and probably isn't going to be.  

We obviously need Bailey back.  Street being solid could help with flexibility in high leverage.  

With Ramirez in the rotation, we are one really solid arm short in the pen from being good.  

The starters are a completely different story.  HR's are killing us.  

The good news is that I think their GB and HR rates are going to normalize.  While I don't think we have any shot at a playoff spot without Richards in the rotation, I certainly don't think our current rotation will have a collective era of 6, so it's going to get better.  

Nolasco and Chavez will both end up being .500 pitchers.  Where we need to see the results are from Skaggs, Shoemaker and Richards, when he comes back. 

Otherwise, we just have to stay close to the pack until another team decides to sell, and we try to pick up another starter.  I'd pick up every dime of what Verlander is owed to have him come here and anchor our starting rotation.

As I said elsewhere, it probably won't remain this bad but it has been bad enough to be concerned. The Angels really need Skaggs to move towards actualizing his potential and Richards to be healthy. Chavez and Nolasco will probably stabilize as the #4-5 starters that they are, and Shoe will improve, but Skaggs and Richards are the big question marks.

I have a feeling that Richards can't be counted on. This has gone from a cramp to a bicep strain to who knows what.

Richards hasn't made any progress since being shutdown..he was supposed to begin throwing a couple of day ago but wasn't able to.

Jeff Fletcher reports that "Richards is still experiencing lack of strength in his biceps"

I hope it's really nothing more than a strain but it's sure starting to look like something else.

10 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

What is it starting to look like?

Specifically I can't say, but it doesn't look good due to the fact that he apparently hasn't made any progress at all..

Apparently the Angels in the last ten days haven't been able to even diagnose Richards' injury..not a good sign.

23 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I have a feeling that Richards can't be counted on. This has gone from a cramp to a bicep strain to who knows what.

Richards hasn't made any progress since being shutdown..he was supposed to begin throwing a couple of day ago but wasn't able to.

Jeff Fletcher reports that "Richards is still experiencing lack of strength in his biceps"

I hope it's really nothing more than a strain but it's sure starting to look like something else.

Again I believe that he's developed this "other" bicep issue because he's adjusting his mechanics to protect his elbow. He's never had a bicep issue before so something different is going on here. There's no doubt that 97 mph fastballs aren't kind to anyone's arm but we had better stop believing that we will ever see the 2014 version of Richards again.

As for Skaggs, he's never proven anything of significance since he's pitched at this level. He's still too raw to be given a spot in the rotation. He should still be in AAA honing his skills. He's only here because we have no depth. We're in trouble because Richards, Skaggs, Trop and Heaney were supposed to drop right in after Weaver and Wilson. Hey where's Tim Lincecum when you need him?

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

after 11 games:

Starters' ERA  5.99

This is not strange because Eppler has built a pitching staff that induces poor contact. Because of that poor contact balls aren't hit with as much authority (exit velocity/line drives) and are eaten up by our superior defense which reduces overall WHIP.

The ERA I think is aberrant for now. It is early in the season. Let's give them a few more starts before we start ringing the emergency bell.

They had a really good first week, and a really bad second week. We all know they were gonna be a lot closer to the midpoint. It sucks but I'm not surprised. It's going to normalize a bit and we'll settle in to a .500 team that will still have a shot at the playoffs if they put together a hot month or keep focusing on winning a series at a time.