• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guns!

Looking into buying my first gun. I've been shooting a few times with my father in law so I have kind of an idea as to what i'm doing. Will probably be used primarily for going out to the range every once in a while and locked up in a safe for home defense otherwise.

So i'm looking at the Walther PPQ M2. Reading some reviews, shooters are totally in love with this.

"it shoot gud y'all"

Yeah, that Walther isn't even on the Cal roster of "approved" guns so it's a no-go even if you found some 10-round mags.

9mm is a good choice. Cheap ammo if you shoot often and does the job. I have a well worn Glock 17 (gen3) but can't use the 17 or 33 round mags here (okay in oregon). Rifles are the most fun though.

11 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

California blows.

That's ok, i've been looking at moving to Tennessee anyways.

Then your options are a little broader but you still have to establish residency which means an additional 6 month wait.

9 hours ago, RuledByNone said:

Yeah, that Walther isn't even on the Cal roster of "approved" guns so it's a no-go even if you found some 10-round mags.

9mm is a good choice. Cheap ammo if you shoot often and does the job. I have a well worn Glock 17 (gen3) but can't use the 17 or 33 round mags here (okay in oregon). Rifles are the most fun though.

i just watched a video on Facebook of some guy who goes around shooting lion fish with a modified glock. apparently the lion fish have no natural predators and their numbers swell astronomically, leaving them to do pretty destructive work on reefs and whatever else. it was pretty weird watching someone shoot underwater, but it was effective.

here's the video:

On 3/22/2017 at 0:28 AM, RuledByNone said:

Trap shooting is a lot of fun too

On 3/22/2017 at 9:43 AM, Tank said:

i just watched a video on Facebook of some guy who goes around shooting lion fish with a modified glock. apparently the lion fish have no natural predators and their numbers swell astronomically, leaving them to do pretty destructive work on reefs and whatever else. it was pretty weird watching someone shoot underwater, but it was effective.

here's the video:

Good video. They have another video talking about how they designed the underwater suppressor (silencer).

Invasive species can be a big problem. A lot of southern states have feral pigs that will move in a 25 to 50 group and tear up a field in a few hours, The boars can be 300 lbs (up to 800 lbs but that's rare) with long tusks. The pigs don't just eat the crop, they will root down a few feet which can cause major damage to a farmer's equipment (combine). Farmers hire out some pros who clear them out with thermal sighted rifles using a suppressed, sub-sonic round. Lots of free ham and bacon. A month later and another large group of feral pigs will show up.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I recommend going to a range and renting a few to see what feels best for you. If you can't decide, just buy a couple :). I prefer 9mm myself. A Glock 19 is a great overall gun and won't cost you a fortune 

Ranges require that you bring in a gun of your own before they rent you one (prevent suicide). A gun safety course is a good idea. Shot 10's of thousands of rounds and never had an incident always keeping the 4 Rules in mind. I agree about the G19. Some people think they're ugly but they just always work.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Trap shooting is a lot of fun too

. I've never tried that but it does look fun. I have steel targets at various distances from handgun/.22 range all the way out to 700 yards. I shoot so much the wild turkeys and deer are used to it. This in in BFE oregon, not far from wash/id.

Here in Arizona, I love the gun laws. 

I went into a Safeway 3 days after I moved here to buy some groceries and in the produce section I saw this guy with an exposed handgun on his hip, in the holster, and I was blown away by the acceptance of responsibility this state had given him. I couldn't help but say hi and tell him I was from California, and asked what he was carrying. He kinda flipped up his holster, and had a Magnum .44 -- the same gun my pops owns back in California, but keeps in the house. I told him that was remarkable, and how amazing it was that he could just carry it around, and it was at that point I had never felt safer in my life. Just some dude walking around with a gun on him, nobody freaking out, someone that might be there to protect innocent citizens if some nut job thought it was a good place to take advantage of.  

I haven't bought one yet, but am planning to buy the exact same thing. I have seen guys pulling rifles and shotguns out of their cars out here, and I just can't imagine the reactions most people from California would have seeing the same thing. I've told this to some old family/friends of mine who are rather liberal, and it scares the crap out of them. Meanwhile I just revel in the fact that when you're here you're not going to f*ck with someone, because they might have a gun on them.

1 hour ago, CaliAngel said:

I went into a Safeway 3 days after I moved here to buy some groceries and in the produce section I saw this guy with an exposed handgun on his hip, in the holster, and I was blown away by the acceptance of responsibility this state had given him. I couldn't help but say hi and tell him I was from California, and asked what he was carrying. He kinda flipped up his holster, and had a Magnum .44 -- the same gun my pops owns back in California, but keeps in the house. I told him that was remarkable, and how amazing it was that he could just carry it around, and it was at that point I had never felt safer in my life. Just some dude walking around with a gun on him, nobody freaking out, someone that might be there to protect innocent citizens if some nut job thought it was a good place to take advantage of.  

I haven't bought one yet, but am planning to buy the exact same thing. I have seen guys pulling rifles and shotguns out of their cars out here, and I just can't imagine the reactions most people from California would have seeing the same thing. I've told this to some old family/friends of mine who are rather liberal, and it scares the crap out of them. Meanwhile I just revel in the fact that when you're here you're not going to f*ck with someone, because they might have a gun on them.

As bad ass as that may sound to you, a .44 is a poor choice for a first gun (watch the above video). Open carrying is a poor choice as well. Someone more bad ass is going to take that thing from you when they feel like it. 

9 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

...and that's exactly why Arizona has a lower violent crime, murder and gun murder rate than California.

Oh, wait a second...

12 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

...how amazing it was that he could just carry it around, and it was at that point I had never felt safer in my life. Just some dude walking around with a gun on him, nobody freaking out, someone that might be there to protect innocent citizens if some nut job thought it was a good place to take advantage of.  

Or the guy who was packing was the nut job. Random people openly carrying firearms is a recipe for disaster, IMO. It's the people who openly show that they are carrying that you need to worry about. People who are proficient with firearms don't feel the need to put them on public display. Mr. Holster may be one of the types who would spray bullets all over the store if anything kicked off.

37 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Or the guy who was packing was the nut job. Random people openly carrying firearms is a recipe for disaster, IMO. It's the people who openly show that they are carrying that you need to worry about. People who are proficient with firearms don't feel the need to put it on public display. Mr. Holster may be one of the types who would spray bullets all over the store if anything kicked off.

I totally agree. Carrying a weapon is for protection, not to prove anything

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Anyone have any recommendations as far as places in OC where I can go through the process of getting the Handgun Safety Certificate?  Some time back I went to the local Turner's Outdoorsman and the only place they recommended or worked with is in the IE.  Thanks.

The firearms safety certificate is a 30 question test you can take at any gun store. Raahauge's in Norco offers a variety of firearms training.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The firearms safety certificate is a 30 question test you can take at any gun store. Raahauge's in Norco offers a variety of firearms training.

I must be confusing a gun safety/usage course with the test.  I've fired guns multiple times over the years but never owned one and wanted to learn more before buying one.  Thanks for the clarification.