• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone Crockpot?

Brandon

5 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Anyone done split pea soup? I have a large ham hock with lots of meat in the freezer from Thanksgiving. Was thinking of making split pea soup in the crockpot

never tried making it.

but i stop by pea soup anderson's anytime i do the drive to/from sf/oc. been going there since i was 17. that's some good f*cking pea soup.

One of my favorites is Peruvian beans. They are tastier than pintos with thinner skins. A day in the crock pot with a little salt and pepper, and you're good to go. A Mexican coworker put me onto these. Usually you have to go to the Hispanic grocery stores to find them, but they are cheap.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Wow, jay, wow. Do ride to work in your covered wagon also?

haha. 

Split peas + water + heat = split pea soup

Then you can add onions, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, ham, etc.

We don't like lots of fat in our soup, so we can't just throw the hambone in with the soup.

• 4 weeks later...

bought a 3.75 pound pork loin to try for the first time. did some research, but not sure if i should throw in some kind of broth or just poke it a ton and then rub it with liquid smoke and some seasonings then let it cook in it's own juices.

speaking of which, i threw the pork in the freezer, how long do you think i need to let that bad boy thaw?

i'm guessing at 3.75lbs i am looking at the 8-10 hour range? was going to cut up some veggies and potatoes and throw them in. will that work?

6 minutes ago, Warwick said:

bought a 3.75 pound pork loin to try for the first time. did some research, but not sure if i should throw in some kind of broth or just poke it a ton and then rub it with liquid smoke and some seasonings then let it cook in it's own juices.

speaking of which, i threw the pork in the freezer, how long do you think i need to let that bad boy thaw?

i'm guessing at 3.75lbs i am looking at the 8-10 hour range? was going to cut up some veggies and potatoes and throw them in. will that work?

I think it's better to just rub it and let it cook solo. If you want to add veggies you might as well cube it and make stew. Either way it'll come apart with a fork once it's done.

6 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I think it's better to just rub it and let it cook solo. If you want to add veggies you might as well cube it and make stew. Either way it'll come apart with a fork once it's done.

actually, i was confused. the potato recipe included bone-in chicken thighs, not the pork loin.

i think i bought this to shred it with a fork and do some kind of carnitas or some white americanized bachelor al pastor recipe/ingredients medley.

Some people do taco Tuesday... I prefer Stewsday. 

So far this year I've made a beef stew, chicken stew, and lamb stew all in my crock pot. Invite some friends and family over and open some nice wine and/or beer. Plus, even with 5-6 adults joining in there's always enough for a meal or two of leftovers. They will be really good when it's cold and raining the rest of the week here.

Reddit has a great subreddit for crockpots, with pictures of the end results and tons of comments on how good/great they are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/

This is one of my fav recipes which is really easy for a "taco soup". Extra good with tortillas crushed into it when serving:

http://udisglutenfree.com/recipes/chicken-taco-soup/

Crockpot is great for lazy people who want to meal prep   

Tons of chicken breasts, boneless skinless

the holy trinity, barely chopped

canned fire roasted salsa and green chiles

spices

a little water and you're done

I have a few portions raw in freezer bags which I'll just dump in the thing and not return till morning.  It also freezes alright in plastic containers after cooking, thaws half decent and goes well at work in toaster oven over foil

On 1/16/2017 at 8:16 PM, Warwick said:

If you add vegetables (outside of items like onions or chiles)...add them 1-2 hours before completion otherwise they just end up as mush.

Or, I use this option sometimes. When the meat is done I transfer it to a roasting pan and cook it for 20-30 minutes to give it a slight crust. I then use the liquid from the crockpot to cook the vegetables.

Kind of shits on the 1 pot idea, so I don't always do it, but if I have the time.

12 minutes ago, red321 said:

If you add vegetables (outside of items like onions or chiles)...add them 1-2 hours before completion otherwise they just end up as mush.

Or, I use this option sometimes. When the meat is done I transfer it to a roasting pan and cook it for 20-30 minutes to give it a slight crust. I then use the liquid from the crockpot to cook the vegetables.

Kind of shits on the 1 pot idea, so I don't always do it, but if I have the time.

good to know, thanks man.

i saw a couple recipes that included this and never saw it mentioned but was something i was thinking about.

should be done thawing out by now, i'll throw it in overnight or in the morning to come home to. i really like the way i sauté veggies, so i may just go that route.

anything that you can do with the pork juice afterwards? make a marinade or some kind of seasoning?

Did a smallish tri-tip last week, untrimmed and fat side down. I've trimmed them before, but had a MUCH better result leaving the fat on, as it created a ton of nice juice. Added a can of roasted green chilies, about a half of an onion, and some smashed garlic cloves before cooking. For the last hour I rolled it over and removed the remaining fat, sliced it into big chunks and allowed it to soak in all of the juice.  The meat came out nice and moist and stringy...made fabulous burritos (apart from the ones I ate that evening) I wrapped a few in foil and froze in freezer bags. They microwave great.