• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Mock Draft

John Smith

Mock 1.0: With the Top 50 set, & take a stab at the first 10 picks in the 2017 Draft:

10. Angels
Callis: Adell.
He has the best all-around tools in this Draft, though he comes with some concerns about his bat. If Adell hits this spring, he won't last this long.
Mayo: Alex Lange, RHP, Louisiana State. Strong and durable, Lange has two plus pitches and an improving changeup that point to a future as a workhorse starter at the big league level. The Angels went college bat in last year's first round, but there isn't necessarily one that makes sense here in this class.

Draft strategy gonna be interesting this year.  They had the 16th and 60th picks last year.   They're set to have 10 and 47 right now, there are a few other comp picks out there so they will probably be in the 52 range.  

Seems to be a lot of depth on the pitching side so I could see us taking the best college pitcher available.  Then high upside high school player in the 2nd again.  

14 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

They sure got an early start with the predictions this year. 

I'd like to see the Angels add some upside, or a durable collegiate pitcher that won't need more than a year in the minors.

Gotta think this is the plan. Lange would be a great pick here. Tanner Houck would be ideal. There seems to be a decent amount of "toolsy" HS players here, too-- enough that we could match our Marsh pick in the 2nd round with someone like  De La Torre or Garrett Mitchell. 

I just want college ready prospects that may be able to play 3rd, 2nd, and in the rotation. The top five rounds in this draft are crucial to rebuilding the system. Last years draft pushed us up from well behind 29 to right there. Another solid draft would push us up to the high teens.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, TroutCron said:

Depends on how many innings some of these college pitchers throw. Aces tend to get overused. I worry about future performance and injuries with these types.

It's not a big concern, unless they pitch for Stanford's Mark Marquess, aka the Overuser. 

• 2 months later...

2017 MLB Mock Draft: The First Ten

10. Los Angeles Angels

Keston Hiura, dh, UC Irvine. The toughest player to peg in the first round is Hiura, who played outfield, third base and second over his amateur career but who has not played the field this spring due to a lingering elbow injury that also limited him to DH last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team. However, Hiura rakes, with many scouts projecting him as a future plus hitter with plus power.

The general consensus of scouts is to run him out as a second baseman as a pro (after a presumed elbow surgery) to see if he can make the different throws from different angles necessary to play infield. Otherwise, he could just settle in as a left fielder, as he has enough speed to play the outfield. One veteran scout likened his situation to that of Stanford’s Carlos Quentin in 2003; Quentin played the whole year with a damaged elbow, went in the first round to the Diamondbacks and had Tommy John surgery after signing before embarking on a successful big league career.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-mock-major-league-baseball-draft-first-ten-picks/#H4SmHRGez6G6tbmD.97

34 minutes ago, John Smith said:

2017 MLB Mock Draft: The First Ten

10. Los Angeles Angels

Keston Hiura, dh, UC Irvine. The toughest player to peg in the first round is Hiura, who played outfield, third base and second over his amateur career but who has not played the field this spring due to a lingering elbow injury that also limited him to DH last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team. However, Hiura rakes, with many scouts projecting him as a future plus hitter with plus power.

The general consensus of scouts is to run him out as a second baseman as a pro (after a presumed elbow surgery) to see if he can make the different throws from different angles necessary to play infield. Otherwise, he could just settle in as a left fielder, as he has enough speed to play the outfield. One veteran scout likened his situation to that of Stanford’s Carlos Quentin in 2003; Quentin played the whole year with a damaged elbow, went in the first round to the Diamondbacks and had Tommy John surgery after signing before embarking on a successful big league career.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-mock-major-league-baseball-draft-first-ten-picks/#H4SmHRGez6G6tbmD.97

That may be a little high, but anyways I got the chance to check him out in person recently and was able to get a lot of video. Here's one of them: 

ID rather see from behind and side so I can see where the ball ends up, he has some lift most looked like pop ups or lazy fly balls. meh~  seems too sweepy easy for his barrel to drop, decent hands and short swing. I don't see much consistent power even consistent gap power in the future with a wood bat.

And I would pound him inside as he can't get the barrel there....