• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

8 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

We have like, 6 back-end rotation guys. If they're going to spend 9 million dollars they need to get a solid reliever.

I know this market for relievers is crazy and Eppler may be waiting it out but he needs to add a guy or 2 before they end up dumpster diving. I'd like to add Hunter/Storen and someone like Cahill, who can start when needed. 

3 minutes ago, Angels_Baseball said:

I know this market for relievers is crazy and Eppler may be waiting it out but he needs to add a guy or 2 before they end up dumpster diving. I'd like to add Hunter/Storen and someone like Cahill, who can start when needed. 

I agree ... although, we have Bailey, Cam, and Street. Who's the odd man out if everyone is healthy? 

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

Makes sense. Solid ERA combined with a ton of wins should make him a nice pay day if he chooses a 1 year deal.

he'd be my #1 target.  Honestly, I'd like to have him and Nova.  Then I'd do my pipe dream of putting Skaggs and Meyer in the long role pitching 2-3 innings every third night so they each accumulate about 120-140ip.  But signing Ross alone would be great.  I know there is no chance.  

22 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

How many guys reach 180 innings nowadays anyways? If he gave the team 150-160 average innings, that'd be a big help at the end of the rotation. The Cubs let him go in part because they really like Mike Montgomery and there's still the chance they trade for a cost controlled starter, which makes Hammel expendable.

The elbow issues are obviously a concern but I don't think anybody knows how serious it actually is. I'm not claiming the guy is a must sign but if you could get him on a 2/24 deal and still have room to add a reliever and 4th outfielder, it's at least feasible, no?

the answer is approximately 2 out of every expected 5 man rotation will reach the 180 ip mark. that's working with some numbers a bit, but it's a fair representation of reality.

your answer for why the cubs would just let 150 mlb average innings just walk out the door in a SP starved market, doesn't satisfy me. i'm not surprised they didn't need him, but i think they have to be very concerned with his health.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I can't help but comment that a great 4th OF for a championship team would be Cameron Maybin.  So for me, the search should be for a third OF since the Angels already have a great 4th OF.

ah grasshopper, the answer lies in your observation.

3 hours ago, ukyah said:

the answer is approximately 2 out of every expected 5 man rotation will reach the 180 ip mark. that's working with some numbers a bit, but it's a fair representation of reality.

your answer for why the cubs would just let 150 mlb average innings just walk out the door in a SP starved market, doesn't satisfy me. i'm not surprised they didn't need him, but i think they have to be very concerned with his health.

Fair point. If memory serves correct, I believe the Cubs and Hammel were on good terms and agreed they would mutually decline his club option to allow him to test FA rather than exercise the option and shop him around. As for the last remark, I'm convinced the Cubs are going to acquire another starter via trade, making Hammel expendable. Arrieta is probably as good as gone after next year, which makes the rumors that they're looking for a cost controlled starter seen realistic.

For me, he remains near the top of the remaining free agent starters. Like you've said, there's just not that much left. I'm still not sold on the idea of Chavez being the #5 guy to start the year without another prevent vet coming into camp along with him. 

11 hours ago, ukyah said:

ah grasshopper, the answer lies in your observation.

Yes, exactly.  It wasn't an accident.  Here is what I literally cannot understand.  This roster, exactly as it is, (to me) is probably two players away from being a threat to not just make the postseason, but to actually have a puncher's chance in the postseason.  Other than final roster tinkering on the low impact level, if they could add two things:

--one guy that has the potential to pitch like a legit #2

--one SIGNIFICANT upgrade at a soft position (3B, 2B, C, or LF, as suggested Maybin ending up a 4th OF)

Then this team could be pretty darn good!  So yes this is easier said than done, but I will also argue that it is not so hard that you do not commit yourself to it.  You go get Tyson Ross.  He isn't going to cost that much and won't be a long term commitment.  It will work or it won't.  But at least you give yourself that upside and hope.

The Angels are in fine shape money wise.  They could easily spend a couple bucks to get an impact player (especially in an expiring contract) and the luxury tax penalty would be peanuts for one year.

It just seems like making 2017 an honestly intellectually-hopeful season is just not that many moves, and not that expensive in the big picture. . . versus 2017 being nothing more than time passing getting to better days.  I don't believe you have to have 2017 be basically a throw away year to stay on the right path to better days.

On 12/20/2016 at 4:46 PM, Dochalo said:

he'd be my #1 target.  Honestly, I'd like to have him and Nova.  Then I'd do my pipe dream of putting Skaggs and Meyer in the long role pitching 2-3 innings every third night so they each accumulate about 120-140ip.  But signing Ross alone would be great.  I know there is no chance.  

So true 

Now that they've shored up the lineup, I'd like to see them at least add another veteran arm.  

With Nova gone and Ross likely a pipe dream, Cahill seems like a good target.  Could start or relieve.  That would round out the team and create some additional depth.  

Another potential under the radar pickup could be Aaron Barrett.  Near 29yo Rher with a good slider and some decent success with WSN in 2014.  Lesser so in 2015 which ended in him getting TJ surg as well as suffering a couple other injuries. 

I don't see us laying out for Feliz.  Holland should still be on the radar and he could actually earn a chance to close with us.  

Other targets could be tommy hunter, bringing back Rasmus, Drew Storen, Shawn Tolleson, and Chris Withrow.  A few others as well.  None of whom are overly exciting, but the could provide veteran depth in the pen.  

Still quite a few arms I would be interested in. Blevins, Wood, Logan, and Howell would all be good for the pen lefty, I like Hochevar, Henderson, Romo, Storen for a pen righty. Cahill, Niese, Feldman, Worley, and either Rubby or Jorge De La Rosa are interesting in starter/longman roles.

Eppler can also play the long game on other these guys and on other vet FAs who wind up taking bench roles right before ST. Brandon Moss, Utley, Drew, vet catchers...it wouldn't be the end of the world if Perez, Marte, or many of our reliever/depth starters were relegated to SLC to start the year. Not necessarily the route I would plan for or want per se, but I think Eppler should keep an open mind and it never hurts to create depth. Never know when we stumble into another vet bargain like what we got with Abreu a few years back.

All these vets on one-year deals can be trade bait at any point of the year, and even if they only bring back a fringe prospect, those types are slotting into our Top 30 Prospects still (see Castillo for Smith trade)