• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trevor Plouffe anyone?

19HALO71

13 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I would absolutely claim Plouffe. He's better that he showed last season. 2014/15 is more indicative of who he really is. 

Plouffe should hit .250/.310 with 35 DB 15 HR and above average defense.

I'd slide Escobar to 2B, but as we've been told repeatedly, the Angels won't do that.

Yeah if Escobar wasn't in the picture I would be interested.

14 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I would absolutely claim Plouffe. He's better that he showed last season. 2014/15 is more indicative of who he really is. 

Plouffe should hit .250/.310 with 35 DB 15 HR and above average defense.

I'd slide Escobar to 2B, but as we've been told repeatedly, the Angels won't do that.

So, a regular Dozier season....gotcha~

I was originally meh on this, and then remembered that he is a local product.   Maybe coming back home would provide an elixir for him, like it did for Nolasco, and return Plouffe to his 2014-2015 numbers?   His defense is better than Escobar's, and he has significantly more power.   Escobar's OBP wouldn't be any great shakes either, if not for the higher BA.   Escobar walks maybe 40 times/season.

Trade Escobar (and half his salary) for whatever reliever they can get, and move Cowart to 2B?

Defense is now solid everywhere except 1B, and hoping that Cron continues to improve. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I was originally meh on this, and then remembered that he is a local product.   Maybe coming back home would provide an elixir for him, like it did for Nolasco, and return Plouffe to his 2014-2015 numbers?   His defense is better than Escobar's, and he has significantly more power.   Escobar's OBP wouldn't be any great shakes either, if not for the higher BA.   Escobar walks maybe 40 times/season.

Trade Escobar (and half his salary) for whatever reliever they can get, and move Cowart to 2B?

Defense is now solid everywhere except 1B, and hoping that Cron continues to improve. 

Why would you pick up Escobar's $7M option ... then trade him and eat half his salary.

Answer: you wouldn't 

4 minutes ago, xboom28x said:

Plouffe had a myriad of injuries last season. Could be a sign of things to come. I would not claim him. He's a guy that you kick the tires on if he's still available in late January with an incentive laden deal.

I agree with this.  However a guy like him or Valbuena on the team makes more sense than a one dimensional Cron.  I like Cron, but flexibility is becoming more and more important and having a guy that could play 3rd and 1st would give us a lot more options. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree with this.  However a guy like him or Valbuena on the team makes more sense than a one dimensional Cron.  I like Cron, but flexibility is becoming more and more important and having a guy that could play 3rd and 1st would give us a lot more options. 

I agree but I think the Angels hold onto Cron. For starters, he hadn't built up any value yet, so if you trade him, you're selling low. Second, he has Matt Thaiss charging up the minor league ladder quickly, some even expect him to be in AAA by the end of the year.

Ultimately, what I think will happen is Thaiss will move out to RF, and Calhoun to LF, at least until the Angels trade Cron, he fizzles out or he reaches free agency, at which time Thaiss will move to first base, which would coincide with a Jam Jones promotion.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

While I tend to agree with this, I believe the best possible outcome is one where Cron learns how to be a solid defender at first. Pujols days of being on the field are closing in on the end, so we do need an every day guy who's bat can play at first base regardless of who is on the mound, and Cron is that guy.

48 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I agree but I think the Angels hold onto Cron. For starters, he hadn't built up any value yet, so if you trade him, you're selling low. Second, he has Matt Thaiss charging up the minor league ladder quickly, some even expect him to be in AAA by the end of the year.

Ultimately, what I think will happen is Thaiss will move out to RF, and Calhoun to LF, at least until the Angels trade Cron, he fizzles out or he reaches free agency, at which time Thaiss will move to first base, which would coincide with a Jam Jones promotion.

Cron turned a corner last year. I had not been a big fan of the guy coming in to the season, but he showed improvement across the board. He's probably the second best hitter on the team at this point with a minimal salary. I can't really see an outcome where we move Cron and get better. Maybe if we are dealing with Herold Reynolds on the other end.. someone who will vastly over value him, but I don't think that is likely.

On November 19, 2016 at 1:04 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Cron turned a corner last year. I had not been a big fan of the guy coming in to the season, but he showed improvement across the board. He's probably the second best hitter on the team at this point with a minimal salary. I can't really see an outcome where we move Cron and get better. Maybe if we are dealing with Herold Reynolds on the other end.. someone who will vastly over value him, but I don't think that is likely.

Yeah that's where I'm at. It's possible a team out there is seeing that growth too, but doubt they pay more because of it. I still think we're better off keeping Cron for one more year at the minimum. Let Marte prove he is for real, give Thaiss another year to develop, and let Cron get an opportunity to put it all together for a season and rack up some big counting stats. I think it is inevitable he will be squeezed out of here within the next year or two anyways, so why not roll the dice and see if he can get to a level where we get a Trumbo haul for him? Free agency this season is heavy on 1B/DH types too. Next year it's a little less.

On November 19, 2016 at 0:43 PM, AngelStew43 said:

Plouffe elected free agency.  He will probably get a comparable deal to the one he left in Minnesota.  I'd much rather claim and stash Nathan Eovaldi,  who the Yankees are trying to outright off of their 40-man.  I know that Eovaldi had TJ in August, so it would be high risk, high reward for 2017.

We already have too many other pitchers returning from TJ in '18.