• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our manager doesn't know rules regarding mound visits

I've missed most of the game. Can someone explain what happened and if the score was affected because of it?

Can someone explain to me too? I was too busy watching a winning franchise beat the Red Wings. A team that fired their head coach after a slow start last year only to put up one of the best records in the NHL since their new head coach took over.

Meronde crapped the field from the mound allowing baserunners on the corner. Butcher comes out to settle him down and he goes 3-1 against the next hitter. Then Scioscia wanders onto the diamond like a drooling drunken late-stage Alzheimer patient off his meds. Scioscia gets pulled aside by the ump, turns around, wanders off the field, then Meronde throws an Intentional Ball to load the bases up.

LOL. Thanks. Great description.

Pitchers who were available:

Jeremy Guthrie, Kyle Lohse, Carlos Villanueva, and Anibal Sanchez.

As far as players who I would have made available via trade; Trumbo, Morales, and Bourjos

All these pitchers would've been butchered pitching for the Angels.

Pitchers who were available:

Jeremy Guthrie, Kyle Lohse, Carlos Villanueva, and Anibal Sanchez.

As far as players who I would have made available via trade; Trumbo, Morales, and Bourjos

Villanueva has career numbers similar to blanton

So does Guthrie

We'll see how their numbers end up at the end of the season

Anibal Sanchez was unaffordable after Hamilton

Lohse costs a draft pick and wanted a multi year deal for his 34+ seasons with Boras as his agent and he didn't sign until spring.

Morales was traded for a guy who has equivalent value with the current numbers for this year bearing that out. (both have been pretty bad)

Bourjos and Trumbo have been the two best offensive players on this team and the offense would be even worse at this point. 

Point is, any of the moves you mention were just as likely to be as much of a disaster.  Just because the pitching disaster has been coupled with bad baseball and early season losses doesn't mean they were any worse than those you mentioned over the long haul of the season. 

Villanueva has career numbers similar to blanton

So does Guthrie

We'll see how their numbers end up at the end of the season

Anibal Sanchez was unaffordable after Hamilton

Lohse costs a draft pick and wanted a multi year deal for his 34+ seasons with Boras as his agent and he didn't sign until spring.

Morales was traded for a guy who has equivalent value with the current numbers for this year bearing that out. (both have been pretty bad)

Bourjos and Trumbo have been the two best offensive players on this team and the offense would be even worse at this point. 

Point is, any of the moves you mention were just as likely to be as much of a disaster.  Just because the pitching disaster has been coupled with bad baseball and early season losses doesn't mean they were any worse than those you mentioned over the long haul of the season. 

way off

http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=4138&position=P&page=0&players=2072,4138,4849

Baseball is all about trends, especially when predicting future success.

way off

http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=4138&position=P&page=0&players=2072,4138,4849

Guthrie could just as well have been Rockies Guthrie, who was worse than even Angels Blanton.

He still could be at some point this year.

I wanted no part of Lohse, because Boras, age, cost, draft pick, and that he hasn't really been effective anywhere but under Dave Duncan's influence.

Villanueva has never been a full-time starter, and his ERA+ has not been real special.

Sanchez, I would have liked, but we were priced out after Hamilton (for the record, I wanted to get him before Hamilton was signed, but I don't think Hamilton was all Dipoto's idea).

Vargas has probably been the most consistent SP this year. No, that's not saying much, but there it is. Morales for Vargas was a good trade for both sides.

Rockies Guthrie wouldn't be pitching home games in Colorado if he was an Angel... lol

Get over Boras beef.

Villanueva has a great K rate coupled with command.

Sanchez seemed like he wanted to go back to Detroit, so I'm not even tripping about that.

Blanton is garbage.

Vargas is decent, but could have got more for Morales.

way off

did you even look at the graphs you posted? from 2006-2012 those graphs crisscross like 25 times.  guthries ERA has gone up the last two years.

BTW, I hated the Blanton signing as much as would have either of those other guys.  point is, he had limited options.  Are you saying that either of those two would have been obviously better?  If so, I guess there is no point in arguing with someone who has a crystal ball. 

Rockies Guthrie wouldn't be pitching home games in Colorado if he was an Angel... lol

Get over Boras beef.

Villanueva has a great K rate coupled with command.

Sanchez seemed like he wanted to go back to Detroit, so I'm not even tripping about that.

Blanton is garbage.

Vargas is decent, but could have got more for Morales.

Rockies Guthrie also sucked on the road.

And he's never really been that good. He's...2012 Haren.

You obviously did not see the other reasons for NOT signing Lohse. Age, draft pick, money, only been a good pitcher in St Louis...you seemed to have overlooked those. Lohse would get lit up in the AL.

Again, Villanueva is unproven as a full-time starter, something he has never been in his career. The Cubs signed him to be a starter because they didn't have many other options, and because they have no expectations this year, anyway.

We weren't getting more for Morales. People on here always assume that our guys are worth more than they are. Vargas was good value for a guy who was out for over a year and a half, and who is obviously not the same player he was before his injury, And who only had a one-year track record prior to the injury.

ERA is not a good way to judge a player, that was just the first stat where they give a breakdown after I hit compare players. Just click on the other categories.

They would have been better than Blanton, no doubt. Speaking of crystal balls, you're assuming they wouldn't have by that 'if so' statement...

Argue numbers, stop getting off tangent all the time with me.

BTW, i guess a better comp for Villaneuva is Williams.  Who is performing similarly in less innings.  I'm sure they'll both end up with an ERA under 2.5 by season's end. 

Seriously Shane?

Villaneuva and Guthrie?  come on man.  those guys are garbage. 

Does Arte Moreno even understand how integral pitching is in baseball?

Uhh Arte, name ONE WS participant over the past decade that had questionable pitching.

But several did have somewhat questionable offense.

I don't think Arte Moreno understands baseball that well. 

BTW, i guess a better comp for Villaneuva is Williams.  Who is performing similarly in less innings.  I'm sure they'll both end up with an ERA under 2.5 by season's end. 

Seriously Shane?

Villaneuva and Guthrie?  come on man.  those guys are garbage. 

They are not garbage man. Far from it. I do not expect Villanueva to stay below his 2.5 ERA this year as that would be AO ignorant... but they are both mid 3 ERA  (3.5 -3.9 to be specific) pitchers. They both can strikeout guys. They both have respectable H/9. And they BOTH would have been better options than Blanton.

ERA is not a good way to judge a player, that was just the first stat where they give a breakdown after I hit compare players. Just click on the other categories.

They would have been better than Blanton, no doubt. Speaking of crystal balls, you're assuming they wouldn't have by that 'if so' statement...

Argue numbers, stop getting off tangent all the time with me.

using the 2013 numbers to argue your point is a joke.  I assume that's what you think in 'trending'

Again, I have no argument that Blanton is crap.  Using 2013 numbers to insinuate that those two guys would have obviously been better is just asinine.  They all suck about the same. 

Another assumption you are making is that any other players weren't pursued and that every FA wants to play here.  It's not that easy. 

Check out Guthrie's numbers after he was traded from the Rockies... do some research folks

Small.

Sample.

Size.

When you compare it to the body of work, last half of 2012 Guthrie is a tick upward after a serious tick down.

Guthrie's career ERA+ of 103 is not much better than Blanton's career ERA+ of 95.

Besides, Guthrie was probably staying in KC no matter what.

Check out Guthrie's numbers after he was traded from the Rockies... do some research folks

so his 14 starts with KC at age 33 count but nothing else does? 

Part of doing research and looking at the numbers is to assess a body of work.  Not to cherry pick the ones you like and leave out the rest.  I could do what you are doing to justify the Vernon Wells trade or Hamilton Signing.