• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More Mike Trout craziness

Oz27

Did you do the research or are you paraphrasing an article?  So much great information and thanks for sharing it! I teach writing to middle school students and I focus on logic in constructing arguments.  One of the topics I cover is the 2012 MVP "controversy" between Trout and Cabrera's Triple Crown.  I try not to sound to biased, but the numbers really end up speaking for themselves. 

I'm currently wondering if it would be worth it to update the lesson to 2016.  I'm not sure cause 2012 could be argued either way.  2016 looks to me too one-sided. 

14 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

These type of threads are always head scratchers for me. I'm don't follow stats so I get confused easily. 

Trout's 2016 numbers with the count 0-2

35 AB 2Hr 6 RBI's .229 AVE .250 OBP .679 OPS

Is this correct? 

I can only assume you are talking about two different stats.  You are saying what he did with an 0-2 count.  Oz is talking about what he did in at bats where he was behind 0-2 in the count during the at bat.  See it's impossible to walk on an 0-2 count, but not impossible to draw a walk when you fall behind 0-2.  Hope that clarifies it for you.  

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I can only assume you are talking about two different stats.  You are saying what he did with an 0-2 count.  Oz is talking about what he did in at bats where he was behind 0-2 in the count during the at bat.  See it's impossible to walk on an 0-2 count, but not impossible to draw a walk when you fall behind 0-2.  Hope that clarifies it for you.  

Thanks for the clarification. So it's safe to say that Trout knows walks.

Nice Oz.... If you've ever watched Trout he clearly doesn't mind getting to 0-2 in a count. He's at such a higher level in the box that it is almost as if he is baiting the pitcher to think they are ahead and then he just crushes whatever off speed pitch they try to throw. His in-the-box batting is otherworldly.

Thanks very much everyone.

One thing I forgot to mention... The Angels were far from a terrible offensive team this year. They ranked ninth in wRC+, 17th in runs and 21st in wOBA, so they were something like an average offensive team. My point here there is just to set the table for how ridiculous this is. On an average offensive team, no non-Trout hitter had an overall wRC+ as good as Trout's mark after falling behind 0-2. The closest was Kole Calhoun, 14 points behind at 118. The point is not to bash Calhoun or anyone else, just to illustrate Trout's ridiculousness again.

Also, the Athletics, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Phillies, Rockies, Royals and White Sox all don't have a single hitter (minimum 100 PA) who had a wRC+ as good as Trout's mark after falling behind 0-2.

7 hours ago, halomatt said:

Did you do the research or are you paraphrasing an article?  So much great information and thanks for sharing it! I teach writing to middle school students and I focus on logic in constructing arguments.  One of the topics I cover is the 2012 MVP "controversy" between Trout and Cabrera's Triple Crown.  I try not to sound to biased, but the numbers really end up speaking for themselves. 

I'm currently wondering if it would be worth it to update the lesson to 2016.  I'm not sure cause 2012 could be argued either way.  2016 looks to me too one-sided. 

I have a nasty habit of getting lost in a Baseball-Reference or Fangraphs black hole when I find something interesting and not resurfacing for hours. I figured I may as well do something moderately useful with it for once!

I suppose 2016 could work, because it comes down to the argument of 'does the team around you matter'. Some of your students might argue Trout's performance is irrelevant because the Angels would have sucked with or without him, while slightly more aware ones would hopefully refute that silly argument.