• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Three Needs: Los Angeles Angels by MLBTR

KevinJ14

Three Needs: Los Angeles Angels

At this point of the season, the focus for many teams has largely shifted to the upcoming offseason. While ten American League clubs are still within shouting distance of postseason position, only six teams are clear contenders for the five N.L. berths (with the Marlins, Pirates, and Rockies all hanging on by a thread with losing records).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/three-needs-los-angeles-angels.html

I think it goes to show that Mike, who loves to put pressure on the other team on the bases, is not the one that has been making the moves the last several years.  Something else I have noticed about Mike is he isn't putting the best defensive team out there not matter what like he once did.  We used to get upset when he would start guys with less bat but more glove.  This year alone we have seen 3 left fielders that had never played the outfield before.  

They had me until we got to #3. Now clearly baserunning is important, but I see it more as an added bonus of having players that can run than a goal that you specifically target.

That said, I'd like to see the Angels learn one from the Royals, whose use of speedy bench players in the 2014 postseason was a revelation in today's game. This is where bench configuration is key. The Angels need at least one speedy player off the bench to come in, run for the Crons and Escobars of the world. If they can't or won't target a big bat or quality starters, at the least there are several speedy outfielders that they could sign as bench players.

Quickest way to improve the team.

Sign Chapman

Sign Kenley Jansen

Sign Fowler

If you have a bullpen that is lights out and you can end a game after 6 innings, then you can win a ton of games.  Obviously this isn't what I would do, but I think it is the quickest way to see more wins from one season to the next.

3 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I disagree that the Angels need to upgrade at catcher but the article is pretty much spot-on other than that IMO.

I don't think they need to upgrade at catcher, but I could see them leaning on their depth at catcher in a trade, and then needing help filling the loss via FA. If you can get a Tropeano-level SP prospect for Carlos Perez and can sign a decent back-up - Saltalamacchia, Avila - I think it would be worth considering - not imperative, but one rare area where we could consider trading from. 

As nice as a Bandy/Perez tandem would be, you can lean on one for 100-110 games next year with a cheap vet filling in the rest. Adding another solid young starter is worth that, especially with some depth like Ward still in the periphery.