• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels' negotiations with Anaheim get off to a rocky start

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Never said he wasn't.  Do you expect him not to make money?

Make money yes. Get free shit fuck no. I love in the article the Angels say having good food around the stadium will stop people from buying there food. Hey guess what Angels fucking get good food in your stadium then not the piles of garbage you sell now. It's f'ing disgusting the food they serve. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

He's making plenty of money he's just acting like he's poor to get free land. He signed a billion or 2 tv contract he gets right offs he has the stadium deals advertising etc. he's making plenty of cash hand over fist. 

Also, as an FYI.  And which was disclosed in the leaked financial reports.  Just think about this.

Arte bought the Angels for $184 million.  In 2008, he paid himself $20 million.  He's owned the team for 13ish years.  He's been making bank.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

Also, as an FYI.  And which was disclosed in the leaked financial reports.  Just think about this.

Arte bought the Angels for $184 million.  In 2008, he paid himself $20 million.  He's owned the team for 13ish years.  He's been making bank.

No owner in sports are losing money. There's a reason Balmer and the super co bought the Clippers and Dodgers for 2 billion a piece. It's not because they are money drainers it's because they are raking in the cash. They just want you to think they are losing money because than they can say oh I didn't spend it on this guy because I couldn't afford it 

11 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Make money yes. Get free shit fuck no. I love in the article the Angels say having good food around the stadium will stop people from buying there food. Hey guess what Angels fucking get good food in your stadium then not the piles of garbage you sell now. It's f'ing disgusting the food they serve. 

2008 Angels made $15.5 million on food and beverage.  In 2009 they made $16.5 million.  My guess is, 50% food, 50% booze. Booze you can't take into the stadium, so that will continue to sell.  So we are talking about probably right now around $10 million.  And of the people that won't eat at the stadium and instead eat near the stadium, it's probably 10% of that amount.  Why so low an amount?  Because there are already options to eat near the stadium.  And those that will go to the stadium early and eat elsewhere and then go to the game is nothing new and won't amount to much that already doesn't exist.  So we are talking about squabling over $1 million a year. 

And if you really think it's a problem, then maybe your stadium policy shouldn't allow outside food to be brought in.

Edited by gotbeer

22 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don't know why you are trying to argue with me.  He isn't cheap, he isn't greedy for trying to get the best deal for himself.  That is business.  I don't think you can really even apply the term greedy to businesses.  That is their purpose for existing.

People can be greedy but businesses I don't think so.

Regardless, I think it is best for all parties if he sells the team.

19 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't know why you are trying to argue with me.  He isn't cheap, he isn't greedy for trying to get the best deal for himself.  That is business.  I don't think you can really even apply the term greedy to businesses.  That is their purpose for existing.

I think what's best for all parties is he takes his team elsewhere. I don't want Orange County paying for a stadium that will cause the city and its residents to have to pay for it

17 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't understand why Arte should sell. The guy has spent a lot on the team over the years. He hasn't spent well the last half dozen but hopefully with the right people around him he spends better.

What are the odds the next owner is any better than Arte? We could just as easily end up with a Frank McCourt type. The grass isn't always greener.

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I think what's best for all parties is he takes his team elsewhere. I don't want Orange County paying for a stadium that will cause the city and its residents to have to pay for it

Most places that lose a sports franchise try real hard to get one again.  I would hate to see OC lose a historical part of itself.

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

Most places that lose a sports franchise try real hard to get one again.  I would hate to see OC lose a historical part of itself.

We got the Ducks. Unless you get an owner in who will build a new stadium by himself id pass. I'd hate to see them leave. But if it's raise taxes to pay for new stadium or they left I'd prefer they left 

This is simply Anaheim having a ton of negotiating power.  They have other viable options along with Angels.  Angels haven't been especially compelling lately.  It appears if Anaheim can work the Angels in --fine, if they can't fine.

Arte himself may not be especially cheap or greedy compared to typical billionaires.  But I don't think he's especially astute as a baseball owner, and I don't think he's especially vigorous, or forward thinking at this time. To me the whole operation seems a bit run down...right down to the failing LED display on the big A message board which has been faulty for months.   I don't think Arte's  had an especially good history with Anaheim.    I think it's time for a change.

Everybody loved the LA Angels name change.

Think of the revenues! 

You just don't understand!  This is a big deal in Madison Avenue!

I said ten years ago that you were f'ing with your partner by doing this.  Anaheim is where you are.  Own it.  Or move to LA.

City of Anaheim have long memories.  They aren't going to give any benefit of the doubt to the man who shat on their name.

Arte and Pringle almost pulled off that big land scam before Tom Tait set the record straight. I personally think that Arte early on had good intentions to win and had good early success investing into the team. Then along came GMJ, Vernon Wells, Pujols and Hamilton. Then the city officials backpedaled on him when Tait exposed the inequitable arrangement that Arte and Pringle dreamed up. It's been downhill from there. Arte has the biggest commodity in baseball but not much to show for it. It's kinda like when Shaq played in Orlando. Big fish in a small pond.

FWIW I'd be fine with the current Angel stadium, upgraded in infrastructure and a few other improvements.  Get another 20-30 years out of it if possible.  Get an owner who through good management, fields an exciting team.  Freshen the stadium experience, dump buttercup etc-some of the old tired stuff.    I don't see why this can't work for someone. 

I don't think the team and players have that much to do with it.  It's been mentioned by others over the years but before the mortgage bubble popped some of the luxury suites were occupied by companies that now no longer exist.  OC was one of if not the worst bubbles and the amount of money being thrown around was ridiculous.  I don't expect cities to not do stupid things that cost taxpayers but I think you'd be hard pressed to get the support of voters to finance a sports team stadium.  As far as Arte goes I don't think he's cheap I think he's just trying to get the best deal for himself like any of us would and yes the name change will (and should) cost him during these negotiations. 

2 minutes ago, rvt said:

FWIW I'd be fine with the current Angel stadium, upgraded in infrastructure and a few other improvements.  Get another 20-30 years out of it if possible.  Get an owner who through good management, fields an exciting team.  Freshen the stadium experience, dump buttercup etc-some of the old tired stuff.    I don't see why this can't work for someone. 

That stadium needs more shade so they can play more day games. Sunday day games are unbearable in direct sun. Lots of empty seats on Sundays.