• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Burned by the promise of a bullpen before...

9 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

A club pretty much has to get lucky with their relief pitchers

Yes and no...   There is always reliever volatility but for a period of time we seemingly traded every mediocre or failed SP we had in the system away - those guys tend to become the lifeblood of BPs.   Percy, Shields -- both were failed starters.  Mariano Rivera...  also a failed starter.  He had been used only as a SP in the minors from 1991 right up until the end of the 95 season.

The one good thing about JD having drafted all those low ceiling SPs is that unless we continue to trade them all away we will likely see a few of them be converted to RPs and be better off for it.  Middelton is probably the most obvious example currently.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Sort of trippy the David Carpenter most people might remember was last a member of the Angels, while the David Carpenter you're talking about was last with the Braves...

Yeah, weird odds to have two so close together in terms of years, but i guess its not too uncommon of a name. I liked the one a few years back, nice guy. Some decent stories...

@Inside Pitch Percival was a failed catcher before he began pitching but he never was a starter, they put  him right in the bullpen from the beginning. Funny thing was is he wasn't all that good in AAA with an ERA over 4 and WHIP of 1.500 the year before they promoted him to the majors. The next year in the majors he is 4th in ROY voting with an ERA under 2 and a WHIP 0.815. Someone saw something in the blind fireballer. 

70423-5099474Fr.jpg

Percy is probably the best example of how stats can be missleading. His minor league career said lots of strikeouts but God only knows what will happen in between. Hooking him up with Lee Smith in the majors taught him so much more about his role and how to be successful  than anything else. Mentors can make all the difference.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Percy is probably the best example of how stats can be missleading. His minor league career said lots of strikeouts but God only knows what will happen in between. Hooking him up with Lee Smith in the majors taught him so much more about his role and how to be successful  than anything else. Mentors can make all the difference.

This can be Street's legacy for his remaining time with the Halos, mentoring Cam Bedrosian and Key Middleton. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yes and no...   There is always reliever volatility but for a period of time we seemingly traded every mediocre or failed SP we had in the system away - those guys tend to become the lifeblood of BPs.   Percy, Shields -- both were failed starters.  Mariano Rivera...  also a failed starter.  He had been used only as a SP in the minors from 1991 right up until the end of the 95 season.

The one good thing about JD having drafted all those low ceiling SPs is that unless we continue to trade them all away we will likely see a few of them be converted to RPs and be better off for it.  Middelton is probably the most obvious example currently.

Dennis Eckersley as well. 

48 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You know what I remember about Percy's development?   It has everything to do with Bryan Harvey and his BS comments..

The Angels had been talking up Percy's potential and his FB from the moment they converted him meanwhile Bryan Harvey was still in Anaheim and for the most part he was really good to dominant when healthy but he always seemed to be hurt..   Anyway, the Angels exposed Harvey to the expansion draft while he was still coming back from an injury, he gets taken by the Marlins and gets off to a blazing start in the NL..  At the All Star game they asked Harvey why he thought the Angels were willing to expose him to the draft and the first damn thing out of his mouth was something like I dunno, but I hear that catcher kid isn't doing so hot in AAA.

Next year, Harvey was hurt again...   

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Dennis Eckersley as well. 

Yep a lot of the all time saved leaders were failed/converted starters.  Lee Smith, John Franco, K-rod, Joe Nathan, Papelbon, Billy Wagner, Eck, Jeff Reardon..   I think the only guy in the all time top ten that wasn't a starter then converted was Hoffman.  Guys like Wetteland, Rollie Fingers, Rick Aguilera, Rob Nenn, Randy Myers, Goose Gossage, and Jose Mesa were all formerly SPs..

The Trevor Hoffman, Bruce Sutter, Huston Street types that started off as RPs aren't that well represented on the all times list..

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yep a lot of the all time saved leaders were failed/converted starters.  Lee Smith, John Franco, K-rod, Joe Nathan, Papelbon, Billy Wagner, Eck, Jeff Reardon..   I think the only guy in the all time top ten that wasn't a starter then converted was Hoffman.  Guys like Wetteland, Rollie Fingers, Rick Aguilera, Rob Nenn, Randy Myers, Goose Gossage, and Jose Mesa were all formerly SPs..

The Trevor Hoffman, Bruce Sutter, Huston Street types that started off as RPs aren't that well represented on the all times list..

Hoffman was a converted infielder.

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Percy, Shields -- both were failed starters.

I don't think of Shields as a failed starter, we just had so much pitching talent back then that we could afford to bring him out of the bullpen.

In 2003, the one season where he was used primarily as a starter, he managed a 3.89 era in almost 80 innings.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think of Shields as a failed starter, we just had so much pitching talent back then that we could afford to bring him out of the bullpen.

In 2003, the one season where he was used primarily as a starter, he managed a 3.89 era in almost 80 innings.

Failed/converted.... I was being brief.   Some guys just were moved to the role...   Shields is one of those

33 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Its funny to sit back and remember a time we had guys who put up a sub 4 era in the steroid era...and said "hey, we have enough good starters. We'll put you in the pen with your plus skills, and see if you fit in with percival, frankie and donnelly"