• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looks Like Teams Have To Develop Their Own Pitching

On 7/20/2016 at 11:15 AM, eaterfan said:

The Cubs rotation seems to be doing okay with a lot of guys they didn't draft or sign internationally. Is there any data or analysis of homegrown v. obtained pitching or are we just going to go through anecdotal examples and think we're right.

BTW, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'd actually prefer if the Angels developed more players and focused on that. I think it's much more cost effective and allows for greater flexibility. I just don't know that it's true. 

The A's seemed to develop good pitching, and trade them before they arbitration eligible or just after. Rarely do they keep any player long enough for them to become a FA.

2 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

The A's seemed to develop good pitching, and trade them before they arbitration eligible or just after. Rarely do they keep any player long enough for them to become a FA.

And it's a great strategy if you want to win the 1989 World Series

On 7/20/2016 at 1:12 PM, DCAngelsFan said:

Teams lock up their aces these days - so those who hit the market as FA's are generally not highly valued or are on the downslope of their careers.

So, yes, you have to develop your own pitching - it's a truism these days.  

Arte better take the money saved on Weaver and Nibbles and sign Otani (if posted) and any other useful international FA pitchers he can scrape up - or hope Sidd Finch or Steve Nebraska comes to an open try-out - 'cause there's really not much going to be available to acquire ...

Nice steve nebraska reference.