• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why Escobar Might be Traded

JoJo26

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

How about the fact that on borderline infield/outfield pop ups, he has absolutely no clue what he's doing. It's not just it's throwing. It's his overall baseball IQ. He doesn't get credit for errors on those pop-ups, but they are absolutely his fault.

Sounds like you have one pop up in particular ... it wasn't that easy of a play. 

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

You do realize he's been one of the worst defensive 3rd baseman the past two years right?

I watch the games ... the only problem I have with him defensively is some of his throws. 

Otherwise his bat is the perfect compliment to our offense. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Most people don't have an issue with his bat except those who get upset at a lead off hitter with his approach.  I like him at lead off but he's so bad defensively I wouldn't be upset if he were to be traded. 

Yea, I always get upset when a lead off hitter tries to get on base. 

.365 OBP says he is pretty successful at getting on base. In fact he is 16th best OBP in the American league and only 2 guys with a better OBP are leadoff hitters. So it appears, Mr Stradling, you are not on target with your assessment.

Blarg, I like him as a lead off hitter, but I would understand if some don't like his approach.  It appears to me that He swings at a ton of first pitches, which gives the guy on deck very little to go off of.  It could just be preference but I prefer the lead off hitter that works a count, and I don't see that as a strength of his.  All in all though he's a very solid lead off hitter.  

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

If the only thing you notice while "watching the games" are some of his bad throws, then you obviously don't know what a third baseman is supposed to do on the baseball field defensively.

Again, no one is complaining about the bat.

I do know he's not a gold glove candidate :)

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Blarg, I like him as a lead off hitter, but I would understand if some don't like his approach.  It appears to me that He swings at a ton of first pitches, which gives the guy on deck very little to go off of.  It could just be preference but I prefer the lead off hitter that works a count, and I don't see that as a strength of his.  All in all though he's a very solid lead off hitter.  

The purpose of lead off is to get on base and he does that better than most of the league.  The purpose of pre game preparation is to read your scouting reports, watch film, be ready. If you are waiting for the first batter to know what a pitcher is going to do you didn't prepare for the game.

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

If the only thing you notice while "watching the games" are some of his bad throws, then you obviously don't know what a third baseman is supposed to do on the baseball field defensively.

Again, no one is complaining about the bat.

How many games do you go to in order to see what that third baseman is doing, or are you watching on TV as well?

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So he's terrible defensively and not your prototypical lead off hitter.

So if a nobody like yourself can figure this out on your own ... what do you expect another team to trade for Escobar?

two bags of balls? 

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I have the MLB package, so I watch games every day. Definitely watch enough games to be able to tell that Escobar is a bad defensive third baseman who has more problems than just his throwing.

Do you disagree?

He's one of those guys where even the most elementary look will show you he's terrible and it doesn't get better the longer you watch. Seeing people defend him defensively makes me wonder if I was transported to some bizarro planet overnight where everything is in reverse.

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

So he's terrible defensively and not your prototypical lead off hitter.

So if a nobody like yourself can figure this out on your own ... what do you expect another team to trade for Escobar?

two bags of balls? 

This is a good point.   At this point, Escobar belongs in the 1B/DH spots with Pujols, until Cron returns.   Then trade Escobar in the off-season.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

You have zero idea of what a lead off hitter does.  

Escobar has never been a guy with TRUE leadoff ability.   Yes, he puts the ball into play and hits for a solid BA.   But, he really is better suited for somewhere else in the order.   Problem is, outside of Trout, we have no one who has the ability to take pitches often enough. 

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea, that's what I think. He has the OBP ability for sure. But for a lead off hitter, you want someone who can be a threat on the base paths,along with getting on base. Once Escobar gets on first base, he isn't going anywhere.

He's a solid hitter and our best option at leadoff because we are a borderline AAA team, but I don't see him as a true leadoff guy either.

It wasn't long ago ... fans here were clamoring for the likes of Abreu and Ianetta to lead off.

Good stuff

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Abreu stole bags, but he also was more of a run producer.

It's because the Angels haven't had a true lead off hitter in how long? Since Figgy? Honestly, I can't remember. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't recall anyone. I know Trout batted there for a year and he was great, but he's pretty much Jesus. Guy could bat 13th and still put up 100 RBI's and 40 bombs.

You're from the Angels forum? What name did you post under?

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I have the MLB package, so I watch games every day. Definitely watch enough games to be able to tell that Escobar is a bad defensive third baseman who has more problems than just his throwing.

Do you disagree? If so, I'd love to hear why, Blarg.

So you watch what the televised replay gives you and not what is going on in the infield every moment. And yet you talk as though you are focused on his every inning play. Your POV is no different than the guy you are arguing with except he goes to quite a few games a year.

I didn't have the opportunity this season to watch Escobar much at the stadium. He is definitely not a premiere 3rd baseman, hell he is not a good defensive third baseman but his play is adequate and on par with David Brain Freese that manned that same spot for a couple years. The difference is he can leadoff for the Angels which, if they had a complete team, would propel the offense to a higher level. Freese was a marginal fielder and hitter.

My biggest disagreement with your argument is that you are in no better position to make an assessment than the guy you are disagreeing with, siting on a couch and yelling at the TV when ever a play isn't perfectly executed. 

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I can play 21 questions too. How many times do you think Escobar farts during a baseball game? Or do you just watch on TV? Can you give me the exact dates and times and a descriptive summary of your findings.

Thanks dude.

This post explains why I don't respect much of what you say.

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Zobrist got a 4 year deal and he's two years older than Escobar.

and he's a much better player than Escobar. 

you can see him leading off for the NL All-Star team if you care to check him out . I heard Escobar is having lobster in Puerto Nuevo tonight 

Edited by Lou