• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which Minor League SP Gets Called Up First?

An SP Will Drop  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Minor League SP Gets Called Up First?

They're keeping Alcantara in the rotation for now, and as a starter, he has considerable more refinement needed before entering the rotation.  They'd likely keep him in AAA for a couple years at least, and that's assuming he continues to improve his control enough (and has the desired results) to stay in the rotation.  If not, the switch to the bullpen likely wouldn't be made at least until the end of next year, by which time Smith likely would've already made his debut.  

So Nate Smith.  ETA, September, 2016. 

I feel comfortable saying Smith could compete at the big league level right now as a starter.

There's a 99% chance Alcantara ends up as a reliever in the big leagues. His mechanics are extremely shaky and he lacks a 3rd pitch. This is not to knock the guy as I believe he has a very good chance to become a good late innings arm but he's no starter, regardless of what the Angels think. 

1 hour ago, Angels_Baseball said:

I feel comfortable saying Smith could compete at the big league level right now as a starter.

There's a 99% chance Alcantara ends up as a reliever in the big leagues. His mechanics are extremely shaky and he lacks a 3rd pitch. This is not to knock the guy as I believe he has a very good chance to become a good late innings arm but he's no starter, regardless of what the Angels think. 

Last I looked we are desperate need for some late inning arms

5 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Are you sure about that?  

You gotta love the in between minor league inning's contests!  That looks pretty surreal for a June 6, Travs game hosting, for example. 

image.png

Troy Scribner.  just turned 25yo (3 days ago).  Obtained for cash from Hou.  

Last 6 starts for AA Ark

35.1ip,  21h,  5er, 9bb, 41k.  All 5 of those er came in 1 start ie, he didn't allow a run in the other 5.  

Undrafted out of Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT

career minor league k rate of 10.8/9ip.  7.3h/9, 3.8bb/9.  0.69 go/ao so a fly ball pitcher.  

not sure what he throws, but throw a beard on him and let's see what he's got.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Troy Scribner.  just turned 25yo (3 days ago).  Obtained for cash from Hou.  

Last 6 starts for AA Ark

35.1ip,  21h,  5er, 9bb, 41k.  All 5 of those er came in 1 start ie, he didn't allow a run in the other 5.  

Undrafted out of Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT

career minor league k rate of 10.8/9ip.  7.3h/9, 3.8bb/9.  0.69 go/ao so a fly ball pitcher.  

not sure what he throws, but throw a beard on him and let's see what he's got.  

Billy has done a pretty decent job with the peanuts...

This guy...

There’s a lot to like here: low-to-mid-90s fastball that hits 97, plus slider, solid curve and change-up, and greatly improved command . He’s got the Jake deGrom thing going with the long hair look and similar height, though stuff isn’t quite as electric as deGrom's. It is still plenty strong however, his command has turned into a real asset, and he has a reputation for pitching well under pressure. He should be ready for a trial in 2016 and could become a number three starter, maybe even more. Grade B+.

Oh crud...the Angels traded him for a RP who pitched 30 innings and flopped....