• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cuban IFer Yulieski Gourriel declared a FA

By the way, you remember how awesome Jose Abreu was as a rookie? His .964 OPS has withered away to .730 this season. Like Puig it appears his roids have worn off since coming stateside and now is just an average player working his way to replacement level.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

By the way, you remember how awesome Jose Abreu was as a rookie? His .964 OPS has withered away to .730 this season. Like Puig it appears his roids have worn off since coming stateside and now is just an average player working his way to replacement level.

It's still early yet for Abreu this year!

Many would love his line from last season out of CJ Cron 30/101 .290-.347-.850...

Yulieski Gourriel is known as the best active Cuban player yet to play in MLB. The right-handed hitting infielder is a career .330/.412/.570 in 14 seasons in the Cuban National Series. Gourriel has permission from the Cuban government to also play for the Yokohama Bay Stars of the Japan Central League, where he posted a similar slash line in 2014.

Here is a blurry picture of Yulieski I took on March 4, 2014.  Estadio Lationamericano, Havana, Cuba

Here is a blurry picture of Yulieski I took on March 4, 2014. Estadio Lationamericano, Havana, Cuba

I was lucky enough to watch Gourriel play four games in Havana in 2014. He showed me above average power and the ability to shoot line drives into the gap. Most impressive was how he turned on an inside fastball against the Artemisa Cazadores and kept it fair for a line drive home run (similar to what he did in the Caribbean Series yesterday). He hits to all fields, but lacks punch to the right side. Gourriel has a slightly open stance and a serious bat wrap. His swing reminds me of Juan Gonzalez.

Gourriel shows good hands in the infield. He plays both third and second base in Cuba and Japan. I saw him make a few plus defensive plays with his glove and arm for the Industriales of Havana, where he was stationed at third.  He has average speed and didn’t show me any aggressiveness on the basepaths.

Yulieski comes from a baseball family. Both of his brothers (Yunieski and Lourdes Jr.) play with him on the Industriales and his father is one of Cuba’s all-time greats. He has an athletic body and looks taller than his listed 6’0″ when he’s on the field.

Gourriel would be an above average player in MLB, both offensively and with the glove. I see him as a 15 to 20 HR third baseman who could consistently post a .350 OB%. At 31 years old, however, his window for Major League production may be closing fast.

http://60ft6in.com/2015/02/09/scouting-report-yulieski-gourriel/

I know the track record on the recent Cuban FA guys is not great but I've thought for some time that signing one (or more) is a way around the difficult situation we find ourselves in--no farm, limited trading potential, unwillingness to sign American FA's and lose a draft pick and, most importantly, an owner who seems tapped out, at least in the short term. So, if your scouts really like this guy and Arte could be convinced to spend (without losing a draft pick), I'd look at it for sure....And as for his position (3b), I'm starting to wonder if Escobar's attitude "issues" aren't starting to be a problem with Scioscia, as they have been elsewhere.....We'll see....