• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eight hitters who have already cost their team 1+ win by WAR

Chuck

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Texas, KC, and WSN are the only teams in contention. I doubt those teams are overly concerned yet ... maybe WSN.

These are established ML players. You close the books on April & May and open a new set of books for June & July. 

While true, a loss is a loss and these guys have all sucked... One loss in April or May can determine not making the playoffs.

See last year's Angels. 

You can't do anything about what has already happened.  The real question is what will these guys do in the future, some have the potential to contribute several wins, some can continue to cost their team wins.

Alert Ripley's, since none of those eight are Halos batters?

Granted two of them used to be (Aybar, Morales).

Fielder has taken a giant dump as a Rangers player.   Meanwhile, Mr. Get Off Our Field has a .900 OPS for the Tigers.

Seeing Pujols and Fielder vastly decline makes what Cabrera is still doing at age 33 crazy good, despite the weight issue. 

44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Fielder has taken a giant dump as a Rangers player.   Meanwhile, Mr. Get Off Our Field has a .900 OPS for the Tigers.

Seeing Pujols and Fielder vastly decline makes what Cabrera is still doing at age 33 crazy good, despite the weight issue. 

You're confusing Cabrera with the Panda. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Fielder's 41 wrc+ doesn't suggest a natural decline or have anything to do with his weight. I'd wager that the neck injury has resurfaced or he's having the same swing mechanic issues that affected Cano last year. 

1 minute ago, sneaky_flute said:

Fielder's 41 wrc+ doesn't suggest a natural decline or have anything to do with his weight. I'd wager that the neck injury has resurfaced or he's having the same swing mechanic issues that affected Cano last year. 

You're right. If his wRC+ had anything to do with his weight it'd be going up, not down.

22 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Weird, cause I'm sure I saw him single-handedly lose like 8 games himself.

You think that would cost him -1.0 WAR each time.

Naw because we probably would've just brought in a different scrub who would've also blown the game. So probably just 0.3 of them were his fault.

lol

1 hour ago, sneaky_flute said:

I think the neck is definitely a factor but I do believe he may be one of those guys who is just done early -- his father experienced a similar sudden erosion in his play at a similar age.  I know some may say his father's history is irrelevant but, genetics are a thing...   Jered and Jeff Weaver are another example of guys following extremely similar decline phases.   

I have always liked Prince, he's been a classy pro and has always tended to take the high road when controversy hit.   Ranger or not, I hope he rebounds.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

singles, doubles, triples, homeruns, walks, hit by pitch, gidp, sb, cs, extra bases taken, k's, at bats, put outs, assists, opportunities, extra bases taken (def), and home park average runs per game.

Then what .,. you mixed it all up in a bowl then throw in the oven for 30 minutes until brown around he edges and let stand for 15 minutes? 

WAR is only a attempt to value a player using saber metrics. It has its uses but nothing clear cut. 

Most of us can determine a players worth without ever looking at WAR. 

Btw I as just messing with you ... sorry

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Then what .,. you mixed it all up in a bowl then throw in the oven for 30 minutes until brown around he edges and let stand for 15 minutes? 

WAR is only a attempt to value a player using saber metrics. It has its uses but nothing clear cut. 

Most of us can determine a players worth without ever looking at WAR. 

Btw I as just messing with you ... sorry

Each of those has an average run value associated with it. If you simply add them all together you will get a number very close to war. Conversely you could make your own version of war if you'd like. I'd bet someone has used a (Runs + RBIs) / 2 framework. You'd just need to figure out a way to measure defense, and of course how many Runs + RBI's a replacement player would have and bam you got war.

If you understand the components that go in to war you can more easily understand where it might fall short, or in turn, where our misperceptions may be falling short. It is not a good idea to look at war solely, as it is meaningless without some level of context.

10 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

WAR is a conglomerate of stats ... anyone here know the ingredients/equation to WAR?

Anyone?

WAR is what you get when Odor starts throwing punches, a home plate ump calls an outside pitch on Escobar a strike, and when Weaver is replaced by a reliever before he ready to depart.