• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels aren't far from being pretty good

Consider first that despite losing two of three to both Baltimore and Texas, the Angels are 9-5 in their last 14 games. Over the last 14 days (couldn't include that full span) they're 6th in major league batting fWAR...in the major leagues, tied with the Cubs. They've hit .289/.343/.426 during that span.

Trout is Trout, Escobar and Calhoun remain pretty good and Pujols, Perez, and Gio have been hitting better of late. They actually have the makings of a decent lineup. It won't be great, but it could be solid.

On the pitching side, Shoemaker has been a revelation the last two starts, looking like his 2014 self. He probably won't keep this up, but if he splits the difference between 2014 and 2015, it will be great boon. Tropeano has been excellent, although he walks too many batters and his 4.38 FIP points to regression from his 2.86 ERA. Chacin has been OK, Weaver hasn't fully imploded somehow, and Lincecum is on his way. Santiago is a bit worrisome - so erratic, and not very good his last several starts. Maybe Skaggs can come back and contribute, or even Heaney or (gulp) Richards. Regardless, the rotation isn't as hopeless as it looked a couple weeks ago.

The bullpen isn't great, but there's some positive signs. Cam Bedrosian has quietly taken a huge step forward. If and when Street comes back will be huge.

Anyhow, I'm not expecting 90+ wins from this team, but I think they could sneak in 85+ and maybe a wildcard spot. Or, at least, they could make things interesting.

All is not lost yet, folks.

Simmons will return to add to the infield that missed his defense for a while now. Petite is good but he is not at Andrelton's level but it is good to have a competent backup.

The starting pitching is still the Angels Achilles heel. Wilson is about three weeks out, doing rehab starts in the IE. That is the most time they can leave him there without a relapse. Lincecum is coming up right behind him getting work in at Salt Lake. There are your two gap fillers right there should Shoemaker return to a smelly old Shoe, or if Santiago needs to be code red.

The team could go any direction following the break. Just the same Seattle and Texas could fall apart as well. The division is far from determined at this point.

If we're five games back or less at the break, the optimism will still be there. If it's more than ten, well that's another story.

We have a chance in June to gain significant ground, with 13 games against the lowly A's and Astros, and three vs (gulp!) Minnesota.

July opens with a ten-game road trip through Boston, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore. That will be a challenge.

37 minutes ago, RallyPanda said:

Let's just get one thing straight though:

although it'd be nice for them to compete and be entertaining...they still have ZERO chance of going all the way...so don't get your hopes up too high folks!

They have just as much of a chance as anyone in the American League right now.

Just now, elixir said:

I think we are due for a 6 game losing streak to clear up any hopes

I think it's funny that you spend most of your board time bobbing on Jerry's knob and yet you use the term "we" when decribing the Angels.  Also negative posts in positive threads are like fishing in a barrel.  Go find another thread to shit in.  

I'm waiting to see what happens with Richards and Heaney, those two will have the biggest impact moving forward. Especially when you consider that Weaver and Wilson are free agents at the end of the year, gotta hope for at least one of Andrew/Garrett to get back in action, Skaggs returning, and Trop/Shoemaker being able to hold down the back part of the rotation. They'll have work to do in the rotation, the bullpen needs to get completely revamped, gotta hope that Bandy can potentially be the offensive complement to Perez at catcher. 1st base looks like a question mark heading forward, Pujols will need to get more and more time at DH, and Cron is frustrating (to say the least). Left field is still an issue, but I like Ortega as a fourth outfielder at worst. 

So I guess Eppler's to-do list moving forward consists of 1) figuring out the starting rotation (fingers crossed we can get Richards, Heaney, and Skaggs back, that will be a huge benefit). 2) the bullpen needs a total revamp (aside from maybe Bedrosian, I'd like to see what Victor Alcantara can do in the pen). 3) continue replenishing the farm system and add a much more established presence in the Latin market. 4) first base/DH to go alongside Pujols. 5) left field, and 6) most likely a catcher. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think it's funny that you spend most of your board time bobbing on Jerry's knob and yet you use the term "we" when decribing the Angels.  Also negative posts in positive threads are like fishing in a barrel.  Go find another thread to shit in.  

I'm so proud of you, seriously.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well considering some on this board think the team has sucked the last six years I could see why you'd say that @rallycat.  

I'm not sure how that relates to the Angels having an inconsistent offense. 

This is an important season regardless of the injuries.  It's a good opportunity to know your floor for the next 2-3 seasons so you know how to proceed.  It's also a chance to evaluate some younger guys that might be able to contribute in the future.  

It actually bodes well if you can be around .500 this season.  And if by some chance you can catch lightning and win a few more than that then great.  

The way I see it, it would take the following for us to make the playoffs:

Albert heats up considerably and ends up with 2014 numbers

Cron becomes a legit moto bat with an .800 ops.

Skaggs comes back and pitches like a #2 for the rest of the year. 

Lincecum pitches like a solid #3

Shoe continues from his last two starts for the rest of the year.

Street comes back asap and Smith returns to form while the rest of the pen steps up and improves.  

Ortega takes it to the next level.  

would like to see a couple of those things happen.  

18 hours ago, cezero said:

Since your farm is dog shit (so is mine), it's all about if your current roster can play career average ball, and if Moreno can buy the supplemental pieces you need in July and the offseason.  It'll be the same every year forever until you get a new owner, or Arte decides to give his GM permission to actually build from within. 

In the past dog shit farm systems have still helped the parent club during the stretch.