• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New computers at my school

Tank

We've been hearing for a while that new computers are coming next year for the teachers. In K-8 we've been using macbooks for the last 7 or 8 years, and they've held up very well. We're switching to the following: Dell Latitude 3350 with Ubuntu 16.04. I know absolutely nothing about it, but our tech guy has pushed for a windows-based system (he prefers linux) for the last few years. We're switching computers because it's time for us to have a newer system for the facutly. We're going with Dells because Macs are simply too expensive, and it appears they won't budge very much on their prices, even though we need to buy about 40 of them, so this comes with a cost factor.

I've got quite a bit of saved work on my computer, all in mac format, and asked him about whether or not I'll have to convert it. He says we can use Google Drive to save all of our documents and then access them from our new Dells, and that the Google format will allow us to use the documents on any device.

I'm not a fan of putting all of my work on Google. At a school, I have legit concerns about hackers trying to see what they can find. I also am not a fan of Google having access to all of my documents, tests, etc. 

1. How concerned should I be about these issues?

2. How much work is it going to take to convert mac-based documents so that I can use them on a Dell?

3. Is Google Drive secure and trustworthy?

I'd appreciate your help/advice about any of this. I'm reaching that point of being an old dog and this windows system is going to be a new trick. Talk to my like I'm an idiot if it'll help me understand more easily.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Switching to Ubuntu?  Wow that is interesting.  Using KDE or GNOME?

The default would be Unity for Ubuntu. An option I would investigate if I was the tech would be Mate. Along with the OS X inspired theme it would be a much easier transition.

I would feel as comfortable in Google as anyone for keeping outsiders from seeing your data.  They store an ungodly amount of data. The NSA may be the only ones who could potentially exceed that amount but it's kind of doubtful.  So they are experts certainly in data management. But their entire business model is based on accumulating data, so there is that when considering them storing your own data.  Is it possible they'd be hacked?  Sure. But I'd trust them more than almost any mainstream online storage provider. And of course it is subject to any government subpoena though I doubt that is your primary concern. Far more likely that your credentials would be obtained maliciously and used to obtain your data. You are using different and strong passwords for every website and service, right?

If you are not comfortable storing your documents "in the cloud", you are not alone by any stretch.  You could store your documents locally and/or on a USB drive. If you still aren't comfortable you could encrypt the contents either locally, on the USB media, or even encrypt the data and then store "in the cloud".  Ask your tech if "they will be encrypting the /home/"user" directory".  He'll know what that means. If not by default you could ask if he would be willing to support you with this. Though understand in that case if your password is lost so is your data. But in the event that your laptop is stolen all the possible sensitive data would be inaccessible. Everyone with a laptop at my work is required to do this encryption.  On Windows for instance this would be Bitlocker.

I'm honestly surprised you aren't all getting Chromebooks.  That seems to be the trend for educational purposes.  Hit me up if you have any questions!

I agree with Thomas.  Google is about as secure as anyone else.  Including Apple.  You really don't hear about them getting hacked as much, since they pay to keep their security up to date.  They even give Hackers bounties for finding vulnerabilities. 

They also have a two step verification system.  I would suggest you turn it on.  What this means is, you will need a standard password (which as Thomas suggested, I would make difficult.  An easy way, is to say use your childhood address.  Change the numbers to the corresponding symbol.  Take out all the vowels.  Add another word or name and take out the consanants.(damn I can't spell)), but you will also need a phone number.  If you try to log in on a computer that Google does not recognize (which is via a cookie they put on your computer when you log in verified), then you have to put it a second security answer via phone text. 

Another option, on the assumption that you are using a form of MS Office on your Mac, is that Microsoft's Office 365 (The online version) works perfectly well on any current browser, including those on any recent Linux including certainly Ubuntu.  Being an educator you should be able to get that service for, well after a quick search, free. And that includes 1TB (a lot) of online storage.

https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

Edited by Thomas
Clarification

11 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I agree with Thomas.  Google is about as secure as anyone else.  Including Apple.  You really don't hear about them getting hacked as much, since they pay to keep their security up to date.  They even give Hackers bounties for finding vulnerabilities. 

They also have a two step verification system.  I would suggest you turn it on.  What this means is, you will need a standard password (which as Thomas suggested, I would make difficult.  An easy way, is to say use your childhood address.  Change the numbers to the corresponding symbol.  Take out all the vowels.  Add another word or name and take out the consanants.(damn I can't spell)), but you will also need a phone number.  If you try to log in on a computer that Google does not recognize (which is via a cookie they put on your computer when you log in verified), then you have to put it a second security answer via phone text. 

2FA (one thing you know, one thing you have) is a great suggestion as well. Not 100% effective but sure gets you a lot closer to that unattainable place.

And you can do the same with Office 365
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-multi-factor-authentication-for-Office-365-users-8f0454b2-f51a-4d9c-bcde-2c48e41621c6

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I would feel as comfortable in Google as anyone for keeping outsiders from seeing your data.  They store an ungodly amount of data. The NSA may be the only ones who could potentially exceed that amount but it's kind of doubtful.  So they are experts certainly in data management. But their entire business model is based on accumulating data, so there is that when considering them storing your own data.  Is it possible they'd be hacked?  Sure. But I'd trust them more than almost any mainstream online storage provider. And of course it is subject to any government subpoena though I doubt that is your primary concern. Far more likely that your credentials would be obtained maliciously and used to obtain your data. You are using different and strong passwords for every website and service, right?

If you are not comfortable storing your documents "in the cloud", you are not alone by any stretch.  You could store your documents locally and/or on a USB drive. If you still aren't comfortable you could encrypt the contents either locally, on the USB media, or even encrypt the data and then store "in the cloud".  Ask your tech if "they will be encrypting the /home/"user" directory".  He'll know what that means. If not by default you could ask if he would be willing to support you with this. Though understand in that case if your password is lost so is your data. But in the event that your laptop is stolen all the possible sensitive data would be inaccessible. Everyone with a laptop at my work is required to do this encryption.  On Windows for instance this would be Bitlocker.

I'm honestly surprised you aren't all getting Chromebooks.  That seems to be the trend for educational purposes.  Hit me up if you have any questions!

thanks, thomas. i was hoping you'd see this thread and respond. i'll send you PMs as needed. thanks for the advice about encryption - i'll ask about it.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

yes. i also have Pages. 

You may need to export your documents from Pages to another format such as .doc regardless of what solution you choose then before switching.

Two step verification, so you login with your password and then a second "password" or RSA key is required, a set of numbers usually 6-8 digits long.  They are usually refreshed every 30 seconds so you need a device that will give you the real time password essentially.  Usually a smartphone app is used now but there are also hardware based versions, some the size of a credit card, some the size of a small pager, etc.  Press a button (or open the app) to get the password.

I am sure @Thomas can be way more technical when describing them.  We use them at work, I also have it for personal email and any of the online game accounts I have.

RSA is a company name. Named after one of the earliest encryption. They do two factor authentication.The government for instance uses them. Probably a bit more difficult than necessary for you.

For your purposes what GB said is perfect. Set it up so that it will text your phone on occasion to make sure everything is okay.

google docs for business is great.

same with their email.

i only use MacBooks and linux workstations to access all my vms/containers floating around a private cloud, but pushing linux on people who are all mac/windows users seems like a really bad idea.

why not get chromebooks? most everything people do these days is with a browser anyway.

Edited by mrwicked

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

google docs for business is great.

same with their email.

i only use MacBooks and linux workstations to access all my vms/containers floating around a private cloud, but pushing linux on people who are all mac/windows users seems like a really bad idea.

why not get chromebooks? most everything people do these days is with a browser anyway.

Our tech guy has the philosophy of "my way or the highway." He doesn't like macs, never has, and has pushed for something else almost since he got here. The problem is that we have an aging group of teachers, many of whom aren't very tech savvy, and using Mac's is decidedly easier for most of us. I foresee a few of our staff having serious problems making this switch. I don't really know how helpful he'll be, either, as we transition. 

18 hours ago, Tank said:

Our tech guy has the philosophy of "my way or the highway." He doesn't like macs, never has, and has pushed for something else almost since he got here. The problem is that we have an aging group of teachers, many of whom aren't very tech savvy, and using Mac's is decidedly easier for most of us. I foresee a few of our staff having serious problems making this switch. I don't really know how helpful he'll be, either, as we transition. 

sounds like you need to get a new IT guy.

all he's doing is a. pissing off his clients (the teachers) and slowing down their productivity, and b. adding more work for himself and slowing down his productivity when he gets inundated with inevitable help requests.

at some point you just have to suck it up and pay a little extra to make everyone comfortable and productive.