• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California's $64 Billion Train to Nowhere delayed again

Not to completely derail the train thread (pun intended) but the biggest reason there's no desal plants is because nobody has figured out how to make them into a cash cow. All the desal plants in the middle east are built by the governments and most subsidize the cost of the water to the public. It's probably going to take a cooperative effort between California and the other southwestern states that could benefit from a steady supply of water. Is it even remotely possible that 3 or 4 state governments and a few big businesses can get together to do something mutually beneficial anymore? I doubt it.

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Not to completely derail the train thread (pun intended) but the biggest reason there's no desal plants is because nobody has figured out how to make them into a cash cow. All the desal plants in the middle east are built by the governments and most subsidize the cost of the water to the public. It's probably going to take a cooperative effort between California and the other southwestern states that could benefit from a steady supply of water. Is it even remotely possible that 3 or 4 state governments and a few big businesses can get together to do something mutually beneficial anymore? I doubt it.

To be fair. I believe that a few desal plants are going up in San Diego.  San Diego, if I remember right, is making a big push for Desal.  To the point that they claim they will be independent of the water supply in a few decades.  Also I believe one might be going up in Santa Barbara. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

To be fair. I believe that a few desal plants are going up in San Diego.  San Diego, if I remember right, is making a big push for Desal.  To the point that they claim they will be independent of the water supply in a few decades.  Also I believe one might be going up in Santa Barbara. 

They already have one.  Mothballed it back in the 90s.  Spending $55MM to bring it back online

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-barbara-reactivating-desalination-plant-20150721-story.html

And an update from earlier this year:

http://www.marketplace.org/2016/01/12/world/los-angeles-great-city-roots-music

42 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

They already have one.  Mothballed it back in the 90s.  Spending $55MM to bring it back online

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-barbara-reactivating-desalination-plant-20150721-story.html

And an update from earlier this year:

http://www.marketplace.org/2016/01/12/world/los-angeles-great-city-roots-music

this is good to see. the central valley could use one or two, also, as a lot of farms are nothing but dust. because so much agriculture comes from CA, you'd think that providing necessary amounts of water to keep our food chain in good standing would be a much, much bigger priority.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

this is good to see. the central valley could use one or two, also, as a lot of farms are nothing but dust. because so much agriculture comes from CA, you'd think that providing necessary amounts of water to keep our food chain in good standing would be a much, much bigger priority.

Nope.  Oil is more important.  Especially Oil from Canada.

14 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Imagine if we spent $64 billion on a water pipeline all the way to the arctic circle, instead of on a crazy train. 

I've always said that if we can drill oil from deep in the Earth and pipe it hundreds of miles then why not pipe in soon-to-melt glaciers. That ends the need to conserve water and stops rising sea levels. Boom, next. 

On 9/29/2016 at 11:31 AM, gotbeer said:

Hahahahahahaha.  This state is so screwed. 

Gov. Brown vetoes bill aimed at improving bullet train oversight

An initial operating segment from San Jose to Wasco would cost about $21 billion. The authority hopes to pay for that with a combination of bonds, federal grants and proceeds from greenhouse gas fees. But those greenhouse gas fees are coming up well short of expectations, and a quarter-billion-dollar gap has opened this year. Beyond the initial segment, there is a $43.5-billion shortfall in the amount of money identified as available to complete the system.

-----

Wasco...? WTF

On 10/1/2016 at 0:35 PM, Lawrence said:

The next gubernatorial election is going to be all about killing this thing. 

Somehow I don't think Governor Newsom is going to want to kill this thing. If anything, he will look for ways to jack up the costs of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Jay said:

An initial operating segment from San Jose to Wasco would cost about $21 billion. The authority hopes to pay for that with a combination of bonds, federal grants and proceeds from greenhouse gas fees. But those greenhouse gas fees are coming up well short of expectations, and a quarter-billion-dollar gap has opened this year. Beyond the initial segment, there is a $43.5-billion shortfall in the amount of money identified as available to complete the system.

-----

Wasco...? WTF

Wasco isn't even in the midst of Paso Robles area wine country.   WTF is its' selling point?

Even Livingston at least has Foster Farms chicken.