• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some Nick Tropeano love..

Chuck

While he got some praise in our Gameday Thread last night, I believe he deserved a thread of his own. 

He pitched really well through 6 innings, for the first time this season, then showed some toughness getting through that 7th inning after loading the bases with no outs only to strike out Grandal then get a double play to end the inning.

When you think about having a healthy rotation of Richards, Heaney, Santiago, Tropeano and Skaggs, possibly Lincecum/Chacin, that's something to really get excited about. 

Here's Nick Tropeano's pitch chart which can also be found on our pitching stats page located in the navigation bar under the header. You're welcome, @ettin

22 minutes ago, Angelsfirst said:

Absolutely appropriate thread. Trop has really shown me something so far this year. Actually last year I was impressed by his stuff and composure as well. You always need those guys to step up when key guys go down. Hope he keeps it up.

Agreed.

Tropeano currently leads the team in K's, though if Richards were still pitching he'd probably best him in that category.

Trop1.png

If healthy, this team would be pretty good with some offensive players showing improvement lately (Pujols and Gia).

Richards
Heaney
Santiago
Tropeano
Skaggs

Escobar
Calhoun
Trout
Pujols
Soto
Simmons
Nava
Giavotella

That's a nice rotation. Offense still doesn't look great but would be a whole lot better than what Sosh currently has to pencil in every night. This team did have potential this year, but the number of injuries to the rotation would suck the life out of any team.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos

This is his moment....with all the injuries, he'll get an extended opportunity to show what he can do.....sometimes top drawer type of prospects get lots of opportunities, but for everybody else, you need to take advantage of the opportunity when you get it.....same with Ortega....also getting his chance....seize the day....

Edited by DMVol

He's stranding just under 90% of baserunners this seasons (third best after Lewis and Lester).

While that's not sustainable I think he will probably get better at minimizing the 2 out jams he seems to get himself into. Losing focus and walking people or giving up hits too often, though he's been able to pitch out of those jams very well. Really good stuff. I can't believe HOU gave him away. Think they could use him now?

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

When you think about having a healthy rotation of Richards, Heaney, Santiago, Tropeano and Skaggs, possibly Lincecum/Chacin, that's something to really get excited about. 

The sad thing about all of these injuries is that we have the makings of a really good young staff. These are the guys who could've made our troubled minor league system into a minor issue. Trout. Calhoun, and Simmons is about as good of a young position player core outside of Chicago that there is.

5 hours ago, DMVol said:

This is his moment....with all the injuries, he'll get an extended opportunity to show what he can do.....sometimes top drawer type of prospects get lots of opportunities, but for everybody else, you need to take advantage of the opportunity when you get it.....same with Ortega....also getting his chance....seize the day....

Yeah i hope he stays up all year. Will be interesting to see what they do if some of the others get healthy again. Trop and Skaggs can still be sent down right? What about Chacin?

I imagine if we wind up with too many starters in the rotation we see one slide into the pen. Don't think Tropeano should be booted to the minors when that time comes. He's been a little lucky and not the most efficient, but he's been producing and I think with an eye on the big picture, he needs to stay in the rotation unless he totally blows it. If Trop can put up 30 starts and a 3.50ish ERA, it alleviates a lot of need for rotation help in '17 - barring Heaney's and Richards' health.

Edited by totdprods

Sometime in early June the Angels possibly will have seven starting pitchers: Weaver, Santiago, Lincecum, Wilson, Tropeano, Shoemaker and Chacin.

Weaver and Santiago are locks to stay in the rotation.

If Lincecum and Wilson pitch well they probably will be in the rotation.

Who would the Angels keep of Tropeano (my choice - think he's on the verge of putting it together), Shoe and Chacin?

...depending on circumstances, if all the SPs came back June/July, plus Skaggs (no Richards or Heaney obviously) I think I'd consider dealing Santiago for an outfielder. Obviously CJ would be great to move and everybody's top choice, and it may be possible still, but I doubt he'll establish much value before the deadline. 

Hector on the other hand could bring back a solid hitter, maybe a prospect as well, from a team in need making a playoff push, and as solid as he's been, I still have a feeling he could implode at some point.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, ksangel said:

....Who would the Angels keep of Tropeano (my choice - think he's on the verge of putting it together), Shoe and Chacin?

Likely a month or a little less to figure that out....at the rate our guys have been going on the DL, wouldn't worry about much right now....

For the remainder of the year, or at least to finish it out, I'm guessing we'll see something along the lines of Santiago, Tropeano, Weaver, Lincecum and Shoemaker. We'll see appearances from Skaggs, Wilson, Chacin, and if we're lucky, Heaney and Richards.

Next year, assuming we don't splash in FA, Santiago, Tropeano, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Smith. At least until Richards and Heaney are back.

Plus we have McGowin well on his way. So there is pitching depth, enough to cover our needs. Now if we can only find another couple bats.