• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves trade Jhoulys Chacin to Angels

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked Eppler that and he didn't really say. Seems to me like they would still be interested, but I'm not sure Lincecum/Lohse would be as interested now that there's another name on the depth chart ahead of them.

Again, I'm amused that people think Lincecum or Lohse would be better than Chacin or Shoemaker. This isn't 2010.

This also isn't 2014 regarding shoemaker. 

The good thing shoemaker has going for him is that his salary is really, really cheap.

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked Eppler that and he didn't really say. Seems to me like they would still be interested, but I'm not sure Lincecum/Lohse would be as interested now that there's another name on the depth chart ahead of them.

Again, I'm amused that people think Lincecum or Lohse would be better than Chacin or Shoemaker. This isn't 2010.

When would Lincecum  even be ready to pitch?  July?

2 hours ago, ksangel said:

So you have the true inside scoop on who runs this team and how Scioscia thinks?  It's human nature for the top dogs to dominate an organization and Scioscia is no different.  It's his rear that's on the line if the Angels don't win year in and year out regardless of the whims of Arte to sign players such as Wilson, Pujols and Hamilton.

Trout, Lackey, Frankie Rodriquez, Calhoun and many other young and talented Angel players were held back during Scioscia's tenure.

And Tropeano wouldn't be sniffing the majors if not for injuries, even though he belongs in the majors. 

KROD IN 2002,  Lackey in 2002, Bourjos in 2008 (I believe) Trumbo in 2009, and Calhoun are hustle to name a few who I can remember who have played over veterans.  

I am not doubting who is in charge.  The false narrative is that Scioscia refuses to play rookies over veterans. 

This deal is fine. He's someone to run out their every fifth day who will probably suck a little less than the alternatives. Even the worst teams need to make these kinds of moves. Someone needs to start and we are quickly running out of people.

My bigger concern is why Shoemaker is now in the rotation and Smith isn't? Shoemaker has proven beyond doubt that he is terrible.

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Yep, the bottom three in the order need to be at least better than Colon at hitting.

Actually you can argue the clean up spot has been worse than the bottom 3 in the order.  Mostly because Pujols has been so bad.

4th spot in order .183 avg .261 obp

7th   .222 avg   .300 obp

8th   .206 avg   .218 obp

9th   .218 avg   .261 obp

Edited by JarsOfClay

I don't mind this move, but 

9 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I'm willing to bet Lincecum can put up better than a 9+ ERA or whatever the heck Shoemaker is giving up these days. 

I'm willing to bet Shoemaker can, too.

5 hours ago, ksangel said:

So you have the true inside scoop on who runs this team and how Scioscia thinks?  It's human nature for the top dogs to dominate an organization and Scioscia is no different.  It's his rear that's on the line if the Angels don't win year in and year out regardless of the whims of Arte to sign players such as Wilson, Pujols and Hamilton.

Trout, Lackey, Frankie Rodriquez, Calhoun and many other young and talented Angel players were held back during Scioscia's tenure.

And Tropeano wouldn't be sniffing the majors if not for injuries, even though he belongs in the majors. 

Are you completely off your rocker? Lackey debuted in 2002 as a 23 year old out of AAA and never went back. Rodriquez was a 20 year old that the previous season in the minor leagues had an ERA over 5. He too, brought up and never went back. Calhoun had his extended stay in 2013 when there really was no position for him to play with Hamilton in the lineup and was pushing Bourjos for playing time.

But the really giant elephant in the room is saying Scioscia was holding back Trout. Just plain idiocy and shows you don't really follow the team at all.

I have a suggestion, read more then maybe you will have something less stupid to say. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't think Lincecum or Lohse would be better than Shoemaker has been, but it is possible that they could be.  Shoemaker has been pretty bad this year.  That said, I would think the Angels should sign one of those guys for depth.  The depth at the starting position is poor now.  Adding one of those guys helps in that department.

Edited by VariousCrap

Anyone complainong about this needs to look at our rotation...its missing 4 guys and its only may. 2 wont be back, 2 more (skaggs and wilson) have no real timetable. The 5th, weaver, will turn into a pumpkin at some point.

Like the move or not, mlb rules mandate we actually have someone pitch every game.

Its not ideal, but what options do we have?

It would actually behoove the Angels to sign Lincecum if they liked his workout. It would do two things: 1) Give us a starter at a likely reasonable price probably on a 1 year deal with maybe an option and 2) if he gets in some decent starts before the trade deadline and the Angels are out of it then they could flip him to a team in need.

According to Alden Gonzalez I believe he said we're about $5MM below the cap so this wouldn't be an issue if they signed him, say, for $8MM and then absorbed no more than $5MM and flip him in trade. If the Angels actually claw their way back into the fight for the Division who cares if we incur a $3MM overage over the CBT threshold? (except maybe Arte -.- )

Edited by ettin

6 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

No way Lincecum gets 8 million from anyone.  Jeff Fletcher said he'd only get a low deal.  Maybe a million.

I was just throwing a number while I was typing VC to make a point regarding Luxury Tax implications. You're probably right he won't get too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this thread. I dont want to go overboard over one start, but he threw a freaking gem last night. Kudos to him. 

I dont expect that going forward from him, but he gives us a solid SP, something we definetely lack. 

This is an old tbread obviously, but i missed fletchers take when it was posted. Spot on point about sending the wrong message to the players. Folding the tent in may and not even trying isnt at all the message you want to send the guys, especially the younger ones who will be free to leave in a few years