• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

USS Indianapolis

Hooper: You were on the Indianapolis?

Brody: What happened?

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

15 minutes ago, Kevin said:

My grandfather spent most of the war on the Indianapolis before being transferred off in March 1945 while it as being repaired for damage. Close call.

Having said that, I'll see this but knowing Cage is in this makes me already think it could be lame.

One of the comments online sounded like you. They said they were rooting for the Sharks first, then the japs, then Cage.

2 hours ago, NJHalo said:

Hooper: You were on the Indianapolis?

Brody: What happened?

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Check out the documentary Milius. In it, Spielberg talks about how he had a bunch of people try to write Quint's dialogue for this scene. Finally, John Milius wrote it and then Robert Shaw edited it down to the version that was finally recited in the scene. Spielberg said that he knew if this scene wasn't powerful enough, the entire movie would have been screwed (I'm paraphrasing).

Edited by Ray McKigney

Few things stood out.  Most glaring.  Political Correctness using Japanese instead of the other word.  This is one of those cases, where using the other word is probably ok.  Second, so many black guys.  Don't know if there were so many on the ship, outside of the galley.  Let's be real here, this was WW2.  Third, that one scene where the shark was attacking looked a lot like when Jaws attacked.  Which is kind of cool in a geek kind of way.  Hopefully one of the guys that survived was named Quinn.  And finally, Mario Van Peebles?  Looking at IMDB, he has a long list of tv directs.  But I think this will be his first big film.  I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

Mario Van Peebles has been around for decades. He was terrific as the Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla in Heartbreak Ridge. I also recall a decent action flick that he starred in from the 90s called Solo.

Acting yes.  But he's directing this one. 

54 minutes ago, LBHalos17 said:

In spite of Nick Cage, this looks pretty good.  And, I will see it to honor these men and their service.

I remember seeing the "Jaws" scene the first time.  It was so powerful, that I was motivated to study-up on the incident.

Same here. When watching it for the first time as a young kid, I still remember asking my mom if that really happened. Scared the hell out of me.

On 5/6/2016 at 3:45 PM, Ray McKigney said:

Mario Van Peebles has been around for decades. He was terrific as the Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla in Heartbreak Ridge. I also recall a decent action flick that he starred in from the 90s called Solo.

"Oo-weyes stitch jones,come to Hollywood and be a rock and roll star"

When I was younger I worked at a restaurant that celebrities would come to. One night some people told me I was gonna be serving Rick fox. Turned out it was van peebles. And he was a shitty tipper.

Nice guy though

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I wonder if van peebles wanted to make another shark movie after jaws 4

the best part of jaws 4, and by far the most believable part of the entire movie-going experience, was how they killed the shark with the yacht. 

i hope he adds something like that in this movie.

Edited by Tank

On 5/6/2016 at 3:37 PM, gotbeer said:

Few things stood out.  Most glaring.  Political Correctness using Japanese instead of the other word.  This is one of those cases, where using the other word is probably ok.  Second, so many black guys.  Don't know if there were so many on the ship, outside of the galley.  Let's be real here, this was WW2.  Third, that one scene where the shark was attacking looked a lot like when Jaws attacked.  Which is kind of cool in a geek kind of way.  Hopefully one of the guys that survived was named Quinn.  And finally, Mario Van Peebles?  Looking at IMDB, he has a long list of tv directs.  But I think this will be his first big film.  I don't know. 

How could they not take this opportunity to do so? It would be disappointing

45 minutes ago, Tank said:

the best part of jaws 4, and by far the most believable part of the entire movie-going experience, was how they killed the shark with the yacht. 

i hope he adds something like that in this movie.

I'd like to see the shark eat a helicopter, a la jaws 2, even if helicopters didn't exist yet.

And agreed on the shark roar. Not many outside of the science community knew that. I also didn't know they could hold grudges against families and follow them around the globe in order to eat them and banana boats