• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NY Proposes Legislation to Check Phone After Accident

Texting while driving is just as bad as drinking while driving — or worse. And although there's a breathalyzer to determine if a car accident was caused by a drunk driver, there's still no device being used to determine if an accident was caused by a distracted driver.

However, that might change soon with a "textalyzer" — technology that could examine a smartphone and determine if it was being used prior to or during a car crash.

The technology was introduced in a first-of-its-kind legislation proposed in New York. The bill, which is still in committee, hopes to implement a field testing for use of cellphones and other potable electronics while driving after an accident of small collision.

If approved, police would be able to administer the test on the side of the road just like they do with breathalyzers. Those who refuse to submit their phones for testing could risk losing their license.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/proposed-legislation-introduce-roadside-textalyzer-article-1.2597839

If this weren't a huge invasion of privacy I would be all for it.  Texting while driving is incredibly dangerous.  We have an old acquaintance that was killed recently by someone driving and texting.  Prosecutors tried to charge the worthless sack of shit that did it with vehicular manslaughter but the judge denied it.  They aren't even going to get jail time.

This will probably be under the category of

Police can't search your car without permission

You don't have to submit to a breathalyzer, because that is self incrimination

Phone in courts has been shown to be private property, and that search of the phone needed a search warrant.

So my thoughts are, the NY courts will make search of the phone part of the agreement of a drivers license.  Similar to breathalyzer.  You can refuse, but refusal means you lose your license for a year.  Because a license is a priviledge, not a right. 

If I have to send a text or e-mail while driving I will have my daughter or wife do it for me so yeah I don't see how they can prove I used my phone. What's next, cameras in our cars? Hell, they're probably already there so nevermind

If I have to send a text or e-mail while driving I will have my daughter or wife do it for me so yeah I don't see how they can prove I used my phone. What's next, cameras in our cars? Hell, they're probably already there so nevermind

With all the scammers and psycho's out there.  Camera's in car is slowly becoming a must.