• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Going into labor

Hi everybody!  My wife and I are expecting our first kid.  She's 8 months pregnant and due date is April 12.

We are seeing our OB 2x a week for Biophysicals, Ultrasound, and Dr.

We did the hospital tour and packed 3 Ready To Go bags.

Any advice?

Seriously, getting adequate sleep is the hardest thing to adjust to.  When the baby is waking up every couple hours in the middle of the night to feed, you and the wife start to become zombies.  Start talking about the nightly schedule, who is getting up to feed the baby, if you're going to alternate, if your wife is going to strictly breast feed or if she's pumping, then putting her milk in bottles, or if you're strictly doing formula. Have a good system in place for the "night sessions" as my wife and I liked to call them.  

Oh, you'll be washing bottles up the yazoo constantly.  Most bottles nowadays have multiple pieces to them, to help prevent against the baby sucking in air, which causes burping, spitting up and general discomfort. So have a place to store all your bottles and their pieces, and their cleaning supplies.  Also, this sounds stupid, but a bottle warmer is handy to have if you keep your breast mil in the fridge, or if you pre-make your formula. Its faster and cleaner to warm up a bottle at 2am when your zombied-out, plus you always know its a safe temperature.

Get a cozy chair for these nightly feedings too, but don't fall asleep with the baby in your arms.  (((Sad story upcoming)))  My friend and his wife just had a baby, and it was a long labor. First night in the hospital, the wife's exhausted, she falls asleep, slouched over while breast feeding her baby. Suffocates it.  Terrible story, but just a warning. You'll be exhausted the first couple days, and then really tired the next couple months until the baby eats more at a time, and sleeps longer. Some babies sleep 6 hours right away, some are colicky and don't sleep more than an hour.

Have a blast! By first kid came into our world at 7:10pm, just in time to watch the Angels game that night. 

All good advice about getting sleep, and setting schedules to share the responsibility (sleep deprivation).

Remember, babies are not made of glass. I am sure you will be gentle, but don't make yourself neurotic. They are tougher than you think.

be as helpful as you can, a real johnny-on-the-spot for her. she'll have it tougher than you, so don't disappear.

read to your child as much as you can every day. may not seem like much, but it helps put her into a routine that's easier to maintain as she grows, plus it helps her audiologically. it also helps create an interest in books and stories, and those are pretty useful in a lot of ways.

Any advice I have would be about 8 months too late :)

Seriously, slow down and enjoy being with your wife right now, cuz it's all about to change (for the good and not so good).

Go to the movies together, spend a night away, just hang out. If you have a dog, spend a ton of time with the pup, he/she is about to experience a big shake up.

Make a playlist on your device of choice to play during labor. You will remember the first song your kid hears.

Seriously, slow down and enjoy being with your wife right now, cuz it's all about to change (for the good and not so good).

Go to the movies together, spend a night away, just hang out. If you have a dog, spend a ton of time with the pup, he/she is about to experience a big shake up.

Make a playlist on your device of choice to play during labor. You will remember the first song your kid hears.

we can give requests!

my choice: 

Can't stress this enough.

I also hope you're on good terms with the grandmas of the family. They're clutch when it comes to babysitting.

Ha! Seriously. In-Laws watch my kiddos M-F, 7:30-5. My parents pitch in a few hours on T/TH and weekends. 

And they do my dishes and fold my clothes.

We had the same Doctor deliver both of my daughters. He cranks The Beastie Boys "Girls" when the baby daughters are born.