• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$18m Batting Practice Pitcher

nate

Weaver has been amazing for this team for a long time.  That will always be remembered by Angels fans.  

However, what Weaver did in the past doesn't change the fact that he is done as acceptable pitcher at the MLB level now.  A 78-80 mph fastball is not going to cut it.  Weaver is going to hurt this team every time he takes the mound in 2016.  Honestly, he needs to be put in the bullpen or he needs to be put on DL for as long as possible.

Weaver is a guy who has always had a lot of pride, but nobody has so much pride that they are going to turn away from 18 million dollars.  If Weaver was to say to his wife, "I don't have it anymore. I need to just retire now."  I am sure that his wife would turn into Marsellus Wallace and she would say to him, "That's pride f--kin' with you.  F--k pride!!!  Pride only hurts, it never helps. You fight through that shit."

Jered has been an integral part of this team for the last decade - actually, he's pretty much been the backbone of this team, at least since Lackey left. That said, if he continues throwing like this it doesn't matter -- he's done. Maybe it is a bit harsh to say so, but the writing's on the wall. I think the Angels were hoping for one more halfway decent year out of him so they wouldn't have to bench him, but I don't think that will be the case.

This all comes down to if you subscribe to the basketball way of treating your great players or the football way.  Basketball does a giant farewell tour, wastes a season and destroys the development of young players just to appease a franchise player and football cuts your ass. I love Weaver but he's done.  Needs to be the mop up man at best.  

Baseball and Basketball have guaranteed contracts while football doesn't. 

Neither does KC....and a lot of other teams, if you're looking at a Scherzer or Price type.  Richards has been our de facto Ace, but he has a very good chance to be a bona fide Ace.  Technically, he has better stuff than Keuchel.

Completely agree.

Richards has the tools to be the real deal, whether or not he ascends to that level remains to be seen but he definitely has the tools.

Certain players deserve respect and it sucked watching this board trash GA, Guerrero, and now Weaver.

Agree completely. Fans turn on players very eadily. Yet the fans hate players who are disloyal and leave via free agency.

As for Weaver he has earned every opportunity and it is still spring training. That said if he doesn't improve there will be little choice but to let him go.

After all that Weaver has given to the Angels, I'd think that he at the very least deserves to go through spring training before all of the vultures start circling him. I mean really guys, he's pitched what, 4 or 5 innings so far? Good grief! 

He'll get through ST but unless he magically adds 5-6 MPH to his FB there's not much that can be done. Wishing and hoping isn't going to make him a viable MLB starter with a average fastball at 78-81 MPH.

After all that Weaver has given to the Angels, I'd think that he at the very least deserves to go through spring training before all of the vultures start circling him. I mean really guys, he's pitched what, 4 or 5 innings so far? Good grief!

You have to factor last season into this equation so it's a bigger sample size than 4 or 5 innings. It sucks to see this happening but it is reality. For the record, no Angel fan should bad mouth him as he has been awesome for this franchise.

You have to factor last season into this equation so it's a bigger sample size than 4 or 5 innings. It sucks to see this happening but it is reality. For the record, no Angel fan should bad mouth him as he has been awesome for this franchise.

I am appreciative of all that he has done for the Angels. I also believe that, realistically, we are witnessing the end of his career. It isn't often that a pitcher loses velocity as abruptly as Weaver has. Makes me wonder what the real issue is.

That's nonsense. GA and Guerrero saw their abilities diminish but never to the point where giving them playing time actively hurt the team, which is where Weaver is at now. We cannot continue to run him out there, it will be a freaking horror show if he is throwing 78MPH fastballs. That is not a cheap shot, it's a statement of fact. There are no examples of any right handed pitchers who have been successful throwing as slowly as Weaver is. I hate seeing it, because I love Weaver and wish he still was what he used to be. But he isn't and it is time to accept that.

My point was similar to another post on this thread that certain players should be exempt from getting ripped. Obviously Weaver's days are numbered. I'm not suggesting he pitches all year if he is getting shelled. I'm saying he has earned to the right to avoid threads like these after a spring game.

And yes many members on this board ripped GA and Vlad to shreds.  

Who's slap?

SlapHappyUtilityGuy

...uh he's got like an avatar of an old dude

Swear he posted the exact same thing in a Weaver thread lol

EDIT: Boom found it. 7th or 8th post. Small world forum. 

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/25281-orange-county-register-after-spring-debut-angels-jered-weaver-passes-torch-to-garrett-richards/?hl=weaver

Edited by laagamer

I think it was just wishful thinking that a fan favorite could somehow regain the velocity back to even 2014 level. He fell off about 3 MPH on all of his stuff last year and spent time on the DL. The hope was that he was perhaps not fully healthy and that caused the significant drop. Prior to 2015, his velocity had been gradually declining by about .5 or 1 MPH for each of the past few years, so the sudden huge dropoff left hope that maybe he wasn't healthy

Turns out that was likely his last hurrah. His final numbers were those of somebody you'd expect to see who had a 83 MPH average FB. Mid 4 ERA(very bad in this era where pitching dominates more), and a complete inability to miss bats with a career low 5 K/9.

With his FB looking about another 2 MPH slower than last year's level thus far through his 2 spring starts, you can take a guess as to what will happen with that ERA and K/9....it'll trend even further in the wrong direction.

Let's be honest, Scioscia is not going to take him out of the rotation until August at the earliest no matter how bad it gets. He loves the veteran players...my guess is it will be an embarrassing season for both of them. Tropeano or someone like that is going to get robbed out of some experience because of this. Very hard to picture him keeping his ERA below 5 this year

Having said that, I can't be mad at Weaver. He's entitled to play out the contract him and the team agreed to and that's what he's doing. He's been a fan favorite and leader for many seasons. Pujols and Wilson are much easier targets for me

Edited by GrittyVeterans

Let's be honest, Scioscia is not going to take him out of the rotation until August at the earliest no matter how bad it gets. Very hard to picture him keeping his ERA below 5 this year

He is getting cuffed around already, and it's only spring. Half of these guys he is facing will never see the majors.

He is getting cuffed around already, and it's only spring. Half of these guys he is facing will never see the majors.

Yeah, but Scioscia doesn't care. If he gave Steve Finley and Matt Joyce regular playing time until late August, he will surely give Angel legend Jered Weaver the entire season no matter how bad it gets. It's not a big deal because this team is not making the playoffs (realistically)

Edited by GrittyVeterans

Yeah, but Scioscia doesn't care. If he gave Steve Finley and Matt Joyce regular playing time until late August, he will surely give Angel legend Jered Weaver the entire season no matter how bad it gets. It's not a big deal because this team is not making the playoffs (realistically)

I highly doubt it. My guess is he won't make it to June.

I highly doubt it. My guess is he won't make it to June.

I just couldn't envision a scenario where Scioscia benches such a popular veteran player.  Honestly I'm not even taking a cheap shot at Scioscia here. What is he supposed to do? Weaver is making 20 million dollars this year and would be awful in the bullpen too. He pretty much has to just roll him out there every 5 days at least to start the season.  If things escalate to a point where he's giving up 7 runs a game, then yeah he's gotta pull the plug as much as it would be tough for him (I imagine him and Weav have a good relationship). I think if Weaver is a 6 inning, 4 runs a game type of pitcher (which is an ERA of 6) Scioscia will just roll him out there the entire season/ I think Weaver may agree to a buyout in June though if he can't get his fastball above 80

Edited by GrittyVeterans

I can't foresee weaver getting battered around another season, I think he has too much pride. I was sitting out in right field today, Weaver was bummed the **** out today after that showing, and later I heard another guy say he saw him walking to his car in the parking lot and he said "Hey, Weave" and Jered just glared at him. I mean you really have to feel for the guy, you aren't able to play the game you loved your whole life because your body just won't allow it anymore. It has got to be heartbreaking.