• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vlad going in HOF as Angel

His career WAR is low for a HoFer, but there are HoFers with less than him. He will get in for 2 main reasons...

His WAR is low due to a lack of longevity, and poor defensive and baserunning scores. Voters have a positive recollection of Vlad in both areas, despite a few dumb plays here and there I think he gets the benefit of the doubt based around the peak performance of his bat.

And second, and perhaps most important, he has the distinction of being a 'clean player' during the height of the steroids era. 

The only thing that's troubling about this is that Vlad kinda insinuated that he would go in as an Angel because the Expos were out of business. The HOF committee has the final say but I'm not so sure that Vlad makes that statement if the Expos were still in business. So is his heart with the Angels or the Expos. He did great things for both teams.

Will Vlad get in? 49.3 career war

This is a perfect example of how WAR shouldn't have all that much weight in determining how good a player is. It's a useful tool, that's all, and it only gives a small part of the whole picture.

Vlad deserves to be in the HOF and most people that saw him play will agree.

Anyone that would dismiss Vlad's greatness and HOF credentials because of WAR is missing it. ymmv 

That's the main question. His home runs, RBIs, and Average make him look like a lock to get in. He was so consistent with his .300 batting average, 100 RBIs, and 30 home runs. Then you look at his career WAR, and it isn't as impressive. He's definitely borderline to many people, IMO.

I think he gets in. And I'm glad he would choose the Angels if he does.

I don't think his totals are HOF impressive. By the numbers he looks Hall of very good, but his personality I think puts him over the top.

He's kind of a legend in regards to his ability to hit bad pitches.

If he had just 3 more seasons as an average player I don't think anyone would really question his HoF worthiness. Generally you have guys get in because of either peak performance or longevity. Vlad was one of the premiere hitters of his generation, and one of those players people actually paid to see play.

I don't think his totals are HOF impressive. By the numbers he looks Hall of very good, but his personality I think puts him over the top.

He's kind of a legend in regards to his ability to hit bad pitches.

Hall of very good? You did watch him play, right? Of his 15 full years he hit .300 or better in 13 of those seasons. The other two seasons he hit .290 and .295. Now if he was a weak .318 life time batting average I could see you saying something like that I guess. He had one season below a 107 OPS+, and was a career 140 OPS+. 450 life time homers and a. 180 stolen bases. He was a hall of famer, it is as simple as that.

With all that being said, I don't remember people killing Vlad for hitting into double plays on here the way Albert gets murdered for it. Looking at the stats Albert only hit into 15 double plays last year (four more than Trout), the year before that he hit into 28 when the team won 98 games.

When MLB has the final say, as they do, I definitely worry.  There is a strong sentimental appeal to the HOF committee for the (sigh) Expos.  I strongly believe the committee sides with that organization.  I love Vladdy.  He is famous for his bad ball hitting abilities.  Little talked of are Vlad's undisciplined baserunning and often wild and crazy heaves from the outfield to wherever?  Vlad firmly believed he could cut down any runner?  Some feared his wing but many more adroit runners simply grabbed the next base as his errant toss sailed, the baseman often needing to lunge to snag it.  Still nothing would be sweeter than to see him go in the HOF as an Angel.  I put those chances at about 23%.  Say you?

Hall of very good? You did watch him play, right? Of his 15 full years he hit .300 or better in 13 of those seasons. The other two seasons he hit .290 and .295. Now if he was a weak .318 life time batting average I could see you saying something like that I guess. He had one season below a 107 OPS+, and was a career 140 OPS+. 450 life time homers and a. 180 stolen bases. He was a hall of famer, it is as simple as that.

These are the kinds of numbers HOF voters look for. Vlad also has an MVP in his pocket. Plus, HOF voters haven't really embraced a lot of advanced stats.

He'll get in, no worries.

I think Vlad will get in but not first ballot. What will help him is that he put up great numbers during the steroid era and never had that suspicion next to him, so the voters will fawn over that. They seem to prop up the guys they just pick and choose as being clean

I totally agree.  

i think people really want to believe he is just a pure freak.  Frankly, I think the chances are good he didn't use due to his normal aging curve.  But who the hell knows for sure.