• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why Not Try Austin Jackson?

mota_madness

The article doesn't give a timetable. Boras is an idiot for not taking what is offered after mid January for a guy with a career slide of three years. I'm glad he didn't accept because the Angels don't need an expensive Mat Joyce.

Edited by notti

If Eppler has the magic touch and believes in Nava/Gentry, why are the halos now pursing alternative options?  

Seems like we are now second guessing the path we've taken as spring is starting?  Fan freaking tastic.  

I agree with this 100%.  Eppler knows the current platoon is laughable and he wants to upgrade it.  Jackson would be an upgrade over this platoon.

Jackson may regret not signing a 1/6 deal, because I think his price goes down from here.  The reality is that the Angels are the only team out there that really needs him.

The article doesn't give a timetable. Boras is an idiot for not taking what is offered after mid January for a guy with a career slide of three years. I'm glad he didn't accept because the Angels don't need an expensive Mat Joyce.

No...the article clearly uses the word RECENTLY.

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that they’ve also recently made a one-year offer to free-agent outfielder Austin Jackson

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/angels-make-offer-austin-jackson.html

Recently is not a day, date or time. It is a confession he doesn't know when the offer was made but wanted to lump it in.

Jackson's last three seasons OPS+ 104, 87, 95. He has had one good season in 2012, all others are barely at or well below league average.

Eppler is showing what he really believes. Don't get me wrong, both Nava and Gentry are good guys to invite to camp, good reclamation projects. Gentry in particular is a valuable 4th OF. But they aren't guys that a team with championship aspirations slots as their starting LF. The fact that they platoon makes it more palatable, but still difficult to stomach.

The LF situation isn't good enough. Maybe Choi works out but who knows? Maybe one of Nava or Gentry bounce back, but that's not something we should bet on. I like Ortega and Hinshaw, but they're AAA for now.

And as for Austin Jackson, 5 million is what you spend on a late reclamation project with upside. Austin is a little better than that. But he isn't worth the 11 million Fowler got. But a fair middle ground between the two is 1 year 8 million with a second year option of 10 million.

I'm not saying the Angels have to do this, but I think Jackson is worth 1/8.

So it seems that if Arte made this offer, he really was/is OK with going over the luxury tax. Which means the Angels not signing Heyward/Upton/Cespedes/Gordon really was about thinking none of them were worth the years/$$ they were seeking, and not wanting to put another expensive band-aid on the situation. I think that's ultimately the right call.

So it seems that if Arte made this offer, he really was/is OK with going over the luxury tax. Which means the Angels not signing Heyward/Upton/Cespedes/Gordon really was about thinking none of them were worth the years/$$ they were seeking, and not wanting to put another expensive band-aid on the situation. I think that's ultimately the right call.

And not losing the pick with most of those.

Eppler is showing what he really believes. Don't get me wrong, both Nava and Gentry are good guys to invite to camp, good reclamation projects. Gentry in particular is a valuable 4th OF. But they aren't guys that a team with championship aspirations slots as their starting LF. The fact that they platoon makes it more palatable, but still difficult to stomach.

The LF situation isn't good enough. Maybe Choi works out but who knows? Maybe one of Nava or Gentry bounce back, but that's not something we should bet on. I like Ortega and Hinshaw, but they're AAA for now.

And as for Austin Jackson, 5 million is what you spend on a late reclamation project with upside. Austin is a little better than that. But he isn't worth the 11 million Fowler got. But a fair middle ground between the two is 1 year 8 million with a second year option of 10 million.

But if you spend $8 mil on Jackson you're committed to him for the year or you eat a big part of it after you DFA. Didn't work with Ibanez or Joyce. Too much to commit to a guy whose best skill is striking out.

i doubt anyone in the org has championship aspirations.

they just need to survive the hamilton $$, get some players around trout and start re-stocking the farm.

i doubt anyone in the org has championship aspirations.

they just need to survive the hamilton $$, get some players around trout and start re-stocking the farm.

i would say around 20 of the 30 teams have championship aspirations this year, including the Angels. It's baseball, it's not just the sum of the parts.

But if you spend $8 mil on Jackson you're committed to him for the year or you eat a big part of it after you DFA. Didn't work with Ibanez or Joyce. Too much to commit to a guy whose best skill is striking out.

Never once in Jackson's career has he been a DFA candidate. At his very worst, he's a 1.5 win player, and that's only because he isn't a good CF anymore, which he would t be playing here. At his best, Austin is a 5-win player, better than everyone on the team not named Trout.

It's highly likely Jackson would post positive defensive numbers in LF and bat around his career average which is .273/.333 30 DB 5 triples 10 HR's and 20 SB.

That's good for 3-4 wins. And that's worth 8 million.

Never once in Jackson's career has he been a DFA candidate. At his very worst, he's a 1.5 win player, and that's only because he isn't a good CF anymore, which he would t be playing here. At his best, Austin is a 5-win player, better than everyone on the team not named Trout.

It's highly likely Jackson would post positive defensive numbers in LF and bat around his career average which is .273/.333 30 DB 5 triples 10 HR's and 20 SB.

That's good for 3-4 wins. And that's worth 8 million.

I think that's highly unlikely and not worth an $8 million risk. Time will tell.

Arte absolutely hates Bora$.  Unless it's a situation like Weaver, who specifically wants to play for the Angels, Arte will never deal with him.

I also think he's reeling from the Hamilton deal and isn't very anxious to spend money.  Eppler probably wasn't allowed to do more than he did this offseason.