• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons wants to hit .280

KevinJ14

Andrelton Simmons would like to be a .280 hitter. The Angels would really like that: http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/165376694/andrelton-simmons-looking-to-boost-offense â€¦

CcBcWdKVIAEJgFl.jpg

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Wednesday was Andrelton Simmons' first official day with the Angels, so he thought he'd stop by the pitchers' meeting and listen in for a while. Problem is, he wasn't dressed in his full uniform. And that's a rule. Simmons was wearing shorts, and word quickly spread to his new manager, Mike Scioscia, who playfully looks for this kind of thing during Spring Training.

The penalty, as usual: lunch for the whole team.

"First day was a little rough, but it's good," Simmons said, laughing. "Now I know -- whenever there's a meeting, I have to be fully dressed."

The Angels gave up a lot for Simmons, sending their two best prospects (Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis) and one of their cornerstone players (Erick Aybar) to the Braves in the middle of November. They did it because Simmons will provide them with premium defense at shortstop, at an ideal age and at a fair price, for the next five years. But they'd love it if he found another gear offensively.

Simmons was asked what he'd like to be offensively.

"I don't know, maybe a .280 hitter," he said. "Ideally I'd drive in a hundred, but that'sMike Trout's territory. You want to be productive, whatever it is. You want to move the guy over when you have to. You want to come up with a big hit. I don't want to look at the end of the year and be like, 'Let me see my numbers.' I want to look at the end of the year and see how many times I came through for my team and how often I helped my team win a game."

Simmons -- set to make $53 million through the 2020 season -- sports a .252/.301/.357 slash line as an everyday player over the last three years. His .658 OPS ranks 12th among the 15 shortstops who have registered at least 400 games in that span.

But Simmons flashed some power in his first full season, hitting 17 home runs in 2013. He also has just 184 strikeouts in 499 career games, and a few people with the Braves believe the 26-year-old right-handed hitter could improve offensively if he doesn't try to pull the ball so frequently.

"I get to work with veterans like [Albert] Pujols, get to watch them play every day," Simmons said when asked what it would take to become a .280 hitter. "I'll try to pick their brains, see what I can get better at, listen to the hitting coaches, and be disciplined at the plate. Get my pitches, and see where I'm at."

Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @Alden_Gonzalezand Facebook , and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/165376694/andrelton-simmons-looking-to-boost-offense

Edited by KevinJ14

Why would his goal be to only hit .280? Maybe he's realistic and understanding of his limitations.

He should've said he wants to get on base more often. I'm fine with him hitting under .280 if he can draw some walks.

Well .......  

Simmons said when asked what it would take to become a .280 hitter. "I'll try to pick their brains, see what I can get better at, listen to the hitting coaches, and be disciplined at the plate. Get my pitches, and see where I'm at."

"You want to be productive, whatever it is. You want to move the guy over when you have to. You want to come up with a big hit. I don't want to look at the end of the year and be like, 'Let me see my numbers.' I want to look at the end of the year and see how many times I came through for my team and how often I helped my team win a game."

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I would be concerned if his goal was to hit 20 homers or something. If it happens great, but the goal is to do your job at the plate, whatever that is, to win the game. That's a great attitude to have.

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod

I think Simmons will improve as he reaches his physical prime in terms of power and OBP. But that's still a couple years off. For now, I think he'll be a .260/.320 hitter.

But in 2018, I think he'll be a .270/.330 15 HR type. Of course by then it's likely he won't be great anymore on defense as much as he'll be very good.

I think Simmons will improve as he reaches his physical prime in terms of power and OBP. But that's still a couple years off. For now, I think he'll be a .260/.320 hitter.

But in 2018, I think he'll be a .270/.330 15 HR type. Of course by then it's likely he won't be great anymore on defense as much as he'll be very good.

He will still be great defensively for 3-4 years. He might not be the single best but he will be in the top 3 or so. In my mind that makes him great.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If by a miracle he duplicated that .774 OPS for the rest of his career, a borderline HOFer? 

not borderline at all.  he was a 2.3 WAR offensive player this year.  Yes that was with defensive corrections which is not included for his overall WAR total.  But he's 5 yrs into his career and has 21.5 WAR entering his age 27 season.  17.8 dWAR.  

Ozzie Smith had 15.9 WAR through his first 5 seasons of which he was a year older.  

Omar Vizquel had 10.3 WAR in his first five season and was of equal age.  

Simmons is 2.2 dWAR away from being in the all time top 50.  Granted, defensive metrics and in particular dWAR leave a lot to be desired, but for the most part, it seems to get it right relative to the eye test.  The top guys are the ones you'd expect.  

The top 15 dWAR is as follows:

As you can see, only 3 of those players are not in the HOF or aren't going to be.  Mark Belanger, Bill Dahlen, and Art Fletcher.  

Pudge might not get in, but Vizquel and Beltre will.  

Most of them got in because of their bat as much as their defense.  

Belanger was a tremendously awful hitter.  A 68 ops+ and a .580 ops.  

Art Fletcher was average with a 100 ops+ and a .684 ops.  Maybe because he only played 13 seasons

I have no idea why Bill Dahlen isn't in the HOF.  21 seasons with 75.2 WAR.  Actually, Dahlen is an interesting story and appears to be at the top of the list when the pre-integration committee meets at this year winter meeting to vote on his candidacy.  By all accounts, he's likely to make it as he's considered the best player ever not in the hall.  

Here's an interesting article.  http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/bill-dahlen-hall-of-fame-chances-stats-chicago-colts-orphans-brooklyn/n9j4u52dvjcm1oek5mgdt96vi

Anyway, it appears that only two players aren't HOF worthy on that list.  

If Simmons averages 2 dWAR per year over the next 6 years, he'll be in the top 8 by age 32.  He's got a legitimate shot at breaking Ozzie's record.  

It's crazy to think that the current halos team could have 3 HOFers on their roster.  Too bad they didn't sign Beltre a few years back.  :)