• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Worst Offseason

happybat4

One bright side to waiting out the FA market this offseason is we've moved up to #16 and may still move up another spot or two in the draft.

If we wind up blowing chunks in 2016, we position ourselves nicely for a protected pick for 2017, when we'll have a larger draft $$$ pool and Baldoquin restrictions lift - where we wind up with a larger international bonus pool as well. So, in a way Eppler restructured the team in a way that may compete in 2016, but if not we're set up well to add to the farm in this draft, next draft, and next international signing period without having yet undergone a rebuild.

Every year the team that "wins" the offseason according to ESPN and other sites is one that dishes out at least one big long-term contract.  Very rarely do those work out and we've see how far "winning" the offseason got the Angels in recent years.  Winning the offseason is like getting a gold star in kindergarten.    

I refuse to trust any article that claims David Price and Zachary Greinke were the runaway best signings, and that Craig Kimbrel was "good for the Red Sox".

This just oozed the typical ESPN Red Sox-Yankee homerism.

They were not the best bargain signings, but they are the most impactful. I am not sure how you can argue they are not going to have a big impact. They do another sections where they have the best bargain signings. Kimbrel is lights out, he would be great for anybody.

Seriously? I'll take Simmons, alone, over Byung-Ho Park, Murphy, and Abad (the Twins). Napoli, Davis, Thatcher, Hunter, Gorzelanny, Detwiler (the Indians). Or Lewis, Ruggiano, Wilhelmsen, and Davis (the Rangers). I'd even say Simmons and Escobar plus the overall depth added (Pennington, Soto, Ortega, and Choi) is better than Chapman, Castro, and Hicks (the Yankees), and arguably better than Happ, Estrada, Chavez, Storen, and Floyd (the Jays). 

While I agree that the offseason sucked, there's a difference between not spending like crazy/being conservative and actually having a poor offseason. I like a majority of the moves Eppler's made, a nice left fielder would've just really been the cherry on top. 

I have been a big critic of the Angels this off-season, but it isn't fair to call it the "worst off-season" in baseball. Not even close. We got a good replacement for Freese, a great replacement for Aybar, and some pieces that help our bench depth. The only deficiency, and granted it is a huge one, is the failure to address left field (though my bold prediction is that second base will be a more troublesome spot for us this year).

On the whole, I'd probably grade the off-season a C.

Best free-agent signings

Zack Greinke (Diamondbacks): 14

David Price (Red Sox): 13

Howie Kendrick (Dodgers): 10

John Lackey (Cubs): 9

Ben Zobrist (Cubs): 8

Alex Gordon (Royals): 6

Yoenis Cespedes (Mets): 6

Justin Upton (Tigers): 5

I found this list interesting. I guess Heyward didn't make the list. Howie was a steal!

I refuse to trust any article that claims David Price and Zachary Greinke were the runaway best signings, and that Craig Kimbrel was "good for the Red Sox".

The Yankees didn't sign any free agents of note this offseason

Agreed (for once). I think the Cubs getting Heyward, Braves fleecing the Dbacks for their farm system, or the Tigers getting Zimmermann and Upton would be at the top. 

Best free-agent signings

Zack Greinke (Diamondbacks): 14

David Price (Red Sox): 13

Howie Kendrick (Dodgers): 10

John Lackey (Cubs): 9

Ben Zobrist (Cubs): 8

Alex Gordon (Royals): 6

Yoenis Cespedes (Mets): 6

Justin Upton (Tigers): 5

I found this list interesting. I guess Heyward didn't make the list. Howie was a steal!

Funny, I think the Greinke signing was horrible, and will go down as one of the worst contracts in baseball history.

But the Lackey, Kendrick, Gordon and Upton contracts all appear good. As does Heyward's.

Every year the team that "wins" the offseason according to ESPN and other sites is one that dishes out at least one big long-term contract.  Very rarely do those work out and we've see how far "winning" the offseason got the Angels in recent years.  Winning the offseason is like getting a gold star in kindergarten.    

I'm ok with not winning the offseason, but it would of been nice to have participated in it.