• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Two more guys we won't look at....

How familiar are you with baseball in Cuba?  The National Series runs 90 games -- plus the playoffs and then the Super Series runs another 30 and another round of playoffs..  they aren't getting around on chartered flights or staying in first class hotels either.  Truth is he's likely played more games than the typical US player his age..  They are filtered into academies while in grade school to fully devote their time to whatever sport they are being groomed for, it becomes their life..  When they aren't playing in the National League or the Super Series, most play in regional leagues in their provinces -- the state treats baseball as their profession and that's what they are "paid" for.

For most players it's a year round thing down there -- some work at the academies when they aren't playing, but it's a misconception that they aren't getting ridden pretty hard. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=gourri000yul

He's Cuban who was loaned/allowed to play in the Japanese League so he's been playing there.

Cuban National Series

Main article: Cuban National Series

The National Series generally runs from November through April with a schedule of 90 games per team in the regular season. The series is then followed by 3 playoff rounds culminating in a championship. This series has been played each winter since 1961-62. There are 16 teams organized in a West League and an East League. The top four teams from each league advance to a playoff, with the winner crowned in April. Two teams have dominated the National Series in recent years: Industriales and Santiago de Cuba.

Super Series

The Super Series is usually played from May through July with a schedule of about 28 games. The series is followed by a playoff between the two top teams. Its teams are selected from the best players of the National Series. In turn, the Cuban national team is selected from the players in the Super Series. Five regional teams compete:

Occidentales (Western region)

Havana

Centrales (Central region)

Orientales (Eastern region)

Santiago de Cuba

approximately: 120 games for both. Which is interesting since his stats state he averages 80+ .....

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

i read that he has only played in more than 90 games in a season once in his career. 

111 games in 2014

Thats incorrect.  Thats the most games he's played in recognized leagues and that was 2014 when he played for the Industriales in Cuba and then the Carp in Japan.  

The National Series runs November through April...  Then the playoffs..   The Super Series in Cuba is like a All Star series that runs from May to July and is made up of the best players from the 5 different regions and runs for like 27-30 games -- it's this league that is used to pick the players who will play on the International team.   

There are 7 national leagues (4-5 mostly developmental), that play in Cuba, only one of which is followed outside of Cuba (the National Series).

Edited by Inside Pitch

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=gourri000yul

He's Cuban who was loaned/allowed to play in the Japanese League so he's been playing there.

Cuban National Series

Main article: Cuban National Series

The National Series generally runs from November through April with a schedule of 90 games per team in the regular season. The series is then followed by 3 playoff rounds culminating in a championship. This series has been played each winter since 1961-62. There are 16 teams organized in a West League and an East League. The top four teams from each league advance to a playoff, with the winner crowned in April. Two teams have dominated the National Series in recent years: Industriales and Santiago de Cuba.

Super Series

The Super Series is usually played from May through July with a schedule of about 28 games. The series is followed by a playoff between the two top teams. Its teams are selected from the best players of the National Series. In turn, the Cuban national team is selected from the players in the Super Series. Five regional teams compete:

Occidentales (Western region)

Havana

Centrales (Central region)

Orientales (Eastern region)

Santiago de Cuba

approximately: 120 games for both. Which is interesting since his stats state he averages 80+ .....

So Basically you're confirming what I said.  Cool.

He hasn't average 80 games, that's what he played for the Sancti Spiritus/Industriales of the National Series   

I maintain that getting the younger one is probably the better option -- but, as I think you said, we are both chasing our tails since the Angels aren't likely to chase either.  We need something more based in reality to argue about.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I just wish an NFL team would go 19-0 including the Super Bore, so that we didn't hear anymore about the yearly 1972 Dolphins team victory party over being the only team to go unbeaten through the SB.

That may have been the most boring SB ever (SB VII)!    Two offensive TDs for Miami and one defensive TD for Washington off of a putrid pass from Dolphins' PK Garo Yepremian after a botched FG snap.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Arte should just sell the Angels to the Samueli's . They'd spend more on the draft, scouting & player development & let the baseball minds run the game instead of interfering like Arte "Al Davis" does.

I think it's awesome. Thank you Albert and Josh for your wonderful contributions to our current budget. We couldn't have done it without you.

your response has absolutely nothing to do with my comment, but, ummm ... thanks. 

I guess 

So Basically you're confirming what I said.  Cool.

He hasn't average 80 games, that's what he played for the Sancti Spiritus/Industriales of the National Series   

I maintain that getting the younger one is probably the better option -- but, as I think you said, we are both chasing our tails since the Angels aren't likely to chase either.  We need something more based in reality to argue about.

lol based in reality?  you must be lost, little buddy. 

so are there any actual stats from these other leagues? 

lol based in reality?  you must be lost, little buddy. 

so are there any actual stats from these other leagues? 

Nope -- there aren't.  I'm Cuban, I have family still on the Island.  They attend the games, they follow the players, I have cousins I've never met that worked their way through the academies and then during the off-season got sent to work in the "agricultura" machetes in hand...  That reality enough for you?  

You can't find stats for the Super Liga anywhere on the internet, does it mean it doesn't exist?   The Provincial Leagues, the Desarollos League, all very real and yet -- no stats.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Whoa!! Slow down there, cowboy.

My reality comment was a jab @ AW. As in : " since when does something have to be based in reality to have an argument here "

As far as asking for stats, I genuinely wanted to check them out since I know nothing about these guys that are being discussed in this thread. I never once even hinted that the other leagues didn't exist.

Whoa!! Slow down there, cowboy.

My reality comment was a jab @ AW. As in : " since when does something have to be based in reality to have an argument here "

As far as asking for stats, I genuinely wanted to check them out since I know nothing about these guys that are being discussed in this thread. I never once even hinted that the other leagues didn't exist.

Oh, I'm not worked up -- tired, so maybe it's coming off as worked up.    My initial reaction was to laugh earlier today and think to myself that it was a miracle someone was actually even tracking the CSN...   That's pretty new..  Here's the link to the main league -- http://www.baseballdecuba.com/  Yulieski BTW was completely destroying the league this season. http://www.baseballdecuba.com/leaders.html

There is a Spanish language article on the main page talking about the Gourriel defection -- the Cuban league seems to be taking it extremely hard.

I re-read the post, it does come off a bit snippy.   My intent was to be brief, not rude.   

Edited by Inside Pitch

No worries.

I was just reading that article and watched the video of a couple of teammates commenting on the topic.

The players seem to understand (obviously) and accept it, but you are correct, everyone else is taking it pretty hard. That doesn't surprise me at all. This has to be a punch in the gut to Cuban baseball and it's followers. Imagine how we'd feel if Trout just got up one day and was on his way to Japan to play. tdawg would never have another boner in his life.

Oh, I'm not worked up -- tired, so maybe it's coming off as worked up.    My initial reaction was to laugh earlier today and think to myself that it was a miracle someone was actually even tracking the CSN...   That's pretty new..  Here's the link to the main league -- http://www.baseballdecuba.com/  Yulieski BTW was completely destroying the league this season. http://www.baseballdecuba.com/leaders.html

There is a Spanish language article on the main page talking about the Gourriel defection -- the Cuban league seems to be taking it extremely hard.

I re-read the post, it does come off a bit snippy.   My intent was to be brief, not rude.   

Question IP:

Since you have a little more knowledge than what we can secure online for these leagues due to family.

There is a breakdown of games on Yulieski's page there http://www.baseballdecuba.com/player_yulieskigourriel.html  ..... Does that include the 2 leagues that you were talking about earlier? Or, is that the main league plus the playoffs for the main league? That states only 49 games played total out of 80+ played during their regular season? is that correct? Was he hurt? Or, do the Cuban teams switch among their players more? Or, would those games/time coincide before he played in Japan? Does he play in all of the other leagues that you mentioned also? Or, due to his name and the player he is does he just play in the Main League and then Japan?

If you could fill in more details I think everyone would like to know more about Cuban baseball as the possibility of more of those players coming here to play in the very near future. Is pretty cool and interesting for the Game! Not just as an Angel fan!

And maybe, even though we probably won't sign them.... :rolleyes:  It is a chance of more players coming here and being successful with even the possibility of a few sprinkled into our organization.

(Maybe, I don't know if it would be interesting to anyone other than myself).....We could have the AW guys and Chuck get together with (yourself) and interview your family about the game in Cuba. Might be a pretty cool read and a look into something we as Americans have been shut out of... Maybe, include some information on top young players etc??? Or maybe, focus on a team a month or something along those lines? Or the different leagues/seasons etc? 

It definitely would bring something more to AW.com than what the other baseball and fan websites have including the Big Boys!

Just sayin Chuck and Mods~ That would be a true look into the future of the game~

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy