• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Signing Upton/Cespedes

Signing Upton/Cespedes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the amount of money/years matter?

• Offer a high AAV as long as we stay short with the length
    • Offer more years and less AAV ( stay below the threshold in future years)
    • 1 year deal is the way to go
    • Try to sign them... But there's a limit to everything
    • Sign them no matter what. Pshhhh, Arte is a billionaire plus we can't waste Trouts talent
    • Both will be bad signings. Stick with the platoon or trade for an OF

what I read there were a lot of excuses for his play.

so why have so many teams rid themselves of thus guy in such a short period of time?

Gaylord Cespedes. Works for me

You knew it was a matter of time for the A's to trade him.  They trade everyone.

Red Sox to Tigers, Red Sox had too many OF'ers and not enough pitching, and Cespedes didn't acclimate well there.  So they traded him to the Tigers for Porcello and signed him to a 4 year contract. 

Tigers then sent him to NY, which probably wasn't a bad move since they are a top 10 pick and he was a FA after the year.  Of course the Tigers also traded Price and Soria at about that time also.  They got two minor league pitchers in Fulmer and Cessa for him.  According to Baseball America, Fulmer is the #1 prospect in the Tigers organization.  So the price was quite high.

.....And they all have reasons for it, justified or not. Only Davis and the pitchers have gotten more than what people have expected. I know its not some new idea or anything but the value of pitching from here on out is really going too explode. Teams want ANYONE who can get outs at the ML level and remember, the game is as profitable as ever! Baltimore got the short end of stick by having to deal with Boras on their "Home grown" perfectly fit need of a LH power bat. As for the Tigers, this is going to rub off weird but I just hope there not doing anything sketchy with an older Mr. Ilitch. I'm not accusing them of anything but I like to think I'm overly observant. Lets just say they're in win now mode. I can't possibly pull up every complain about Arte but all you need to look at is all the dysfunction and eventual Front Office shakeups. Personally, this organization is in a better place today than ever. Minor league depth is another question, I know that but you can't build that when the message is always changing. Talent plays but others have to be taught. Ward and Jones are going to be something but other players have to be caressed and groomed into their potential. Anyone who honestly thinks this team is going to be rebuilding is delusional. We have been one of the best franchises of the 21st century, that has managed to always found a way to shot themselves in the foot. We all like too think that we can learn from our mistakes and everything has to begin somewhere. No one wants to build off of someone else's image, especially if its flawed. This team needs some stability, then the organization as a whole will reap the benefits.  

Edited by DailyHalo

I think Arte trusts his front office and they have had a plan from day one. Like I said, were going to see in the next day or two if this all was a tactic or not. There is no reason for the market to stall any longer for any player willing too sign. Every day that goes by is another day for someone else to realize they need him. The Ilitch thing is a gross idea. My mind takes me to people parading endless paperwork in front of his face, helping him sign his name etc. Physically he's barely there as well but I'm referring too his mind.

There's no incentive to make a move

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-season-ticket-sales-20160119-story.html

Angels season-ticket sales have held firm despite the lack of a big splash in the free-agent or trade markets this winter, according to Tim Mead, vice president of communications for the club.

Arte doesn't want to go over the threshold, ticket sales still holding firm. Everything's smooth sailing for the yachtsman

Edited by bloodbrother

There's no incentive to make a move

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-season-ticket-sales-20160119-story.html

Angels season-ticket sales have held firm despite the lack of a big splash in the free-agent or trade markets this winter, according to Tim Mead, vice president of communications for the club.

Arte doesn't want to go over the threshold, ticket sales still holding firm. Everything's smooth sailing for the yachtsman

He obviously missed my cancelation.

....Or it could be that 90% of the season ticket holders/fans in general, are holding up their end of the bargain. The fans will be here through thick-n-thin and support the team, they just want to know he will as well. I appreciate having an owner like Arte. He loves the game and he loves the team. He wants this franchise too win just as much as the next guy, I think he just fears Hamilton 2.0 . Everyone gets the threshold is more of a point of emphasis rather than a line in the sand. He should just chalk up going over the threshold this one year on the growing pains this team went through of late. He will just have another blunder under his belt, if we lose again next year because we didn't acquire a competent everyday OF/LF. I can see a trade but what we have to deal from is more for a player thats young/displaced or for a solid RP. I'd say our realistic left field options are now Cespedes, Fowler or go in with Gentry/Nava.

Edited by DailyHalo

I'm going out on a limb but I wonder if bad blood exists between Eppler and Roc Nation. The Robinson Cano debacle lead to him being shipped off too Seattle and could have left a sour taste in the current/former Yankees FO. I'm sure it didn't leave all that great of a taste in Seattle's mouth either now that I'm thinking about it. I just hope that his Agents don't push everyone's buttons too much and end up with another potentially unhappy client. I'm willing to bet Cano would give back tons of that mulla if he could be back in New York, where his heart is.

Edited by DailyHalo

So Arte quit gambling of big money free agents. Good for him. He will get 3 million fans again and save $20M in the process.

Jesus Christ this is getting old. Congrats Arte, way to get "3 million fans". Claude, those are the same 3 million fans that you basically said weren't there last season, remember, you were convinced Arte was playing with the numbers to get to that 3 million number. You can say he is saving $20 million, but he really isn't. Attendance will be down again, and missing out on the playoffs hurts pretty bad financially. How bout we look at what attendance was when we were in the playoffs on a regular basis. In 2005 and 2006 the Angels averaged over 3.4 million fans, so since then we have seen a drop off of 400,000 fans a year. According to Yahoo, the average fan at a game spends $43 a game, that is a little over $17 million. You also go to enough games to know sell outs are down big time at he stadium. So, go ahead and applaud the guy that is basically giving up, because if he was really taking the team in a different direction we would see him doing different things as it relates to international signings to put talent in our minor leagues.

Jesus Christ this is getting old. Congrats Arte, way to get "3 million fans". Claude, those are the same 3 million fans that you basically said weren't there last season, remember, you were convinced Arte was playing with the numbers to get to that 3 million number. You can say he is saving $20 million, but he really isn't. Attendance will be down again, and missing out on the playoffs hurts pretty bad financially. How bout we look at what attendance was when we were in the playoffs on a regular basis. In 2005 and 2006 the Angels averaged over 3.4 million fans, so since then we have seen a drop off of 400,000 fans a year. According to Yahoo, the average fan at a game spends $43 a game, that is a little over $17 million. You also go to enough games to know sell outs are down big time at he stadium. So, go ahead and applaud the guy that is basically giving up, because if he was really taking the team in a different direction we would see him doing different things as it relates to international signings to put talent in our minor leagues.

Well Strad your argument that the 2016 team with Cespedes or Upton would perform better than the Vlad teams is baloney. The team and the farm was much better in the era.

Well Strad your argument that the 2016 team with Cespedes or Upton would perform better than the Vlad teams is baloney. The team and the farm was much better in the era.

Oh and that yahoo article that said $43 per fan, was from 2006. I found a price index for the Angels from 2013 and the average fan spent a shade under $50, so there is your $20 million. Oh and Claude, I am not asking them to out perform those teams. That was back when not only did we have a good farm system but we spent money. Apparently we don't do either of those things now. 3 million is an arbitrary number to make people feel good. Good thing that number was 3.1 million or those people wouldn't have felt good in a few years.

Oh and that yahoo article that said $43 per fan, was from 2006. I found a price index for the Angels from 2013 and the average fan spent a shade under $50, so there is your $20 million. Oh and Claude, I am not asking them to out perform those teams. That was back when not only did we have a good farm system but we spent money. Apparently we don't do either of those things now. 3 million is an arbitrary number to make people feel good. Good thing that number was 3.1 million or those people wouldn't have felt good in a few years.

$50 spent is not a net profit to Arte.

I will say this.....I'm pretty sure that Arte has plans that involve his family's future and wealth management. I'm sure that Arte has some advisors that understand todays baseball financial market. He's well informed about the risk of signing another big money player. This is not his first rodeo and this time he may be listening to his family and advisors instead of the fans. After Pujols and Hamilton I agree with his new direction.

Edited by CALZONE