• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A One Year $25M+ Deal for Upton Makes Too Much Sense

For the Angels:

... because so much money is coming off the books next offseason, the opportunity to go back below the luxury tax threshold will be relatively easy.

For Upon:

... because next year's free agent class is so terrible.  His earning opportunity next offseason would be off the charts.

so here is a thought I found interesting mentioned on mlb radio last night.

the reason some of these guys are holding to their demands is that not only is it a weak free agent class next year, but a bunch of teams have older money coming off the books.  Several of the teams that will need hitters are teams with deep pockets.  Like boston with papi, the rangers might lose Beltre and Moreland.  Toronto Bautista and Encarnacion.  NYY Tex.  CWS - Laroche. LAA - Weaver, Wilson.  Stl - Holiday. 

So the speculation was that Davis, Cespedes and Upton's reps are trying to convince some of these teams to jump in now because of next years weak FA class.  Which they think will happen if the prices start to come down.  For instance, a team like Boston might jump in on a Chris Davis right now and slot Hanley into DH next year instead of forcing him into 1b.  

The big advantage I see with signing one of these guys to a pillow contract though is that if the team isn't in the mix, they could trade the player for a position player a lot closer to the majors instead of keeping the draft pick.  

Lot's of what ifs, but I would rather do a 1yr deal than nothing at all.  At least it gives us a much better chance for 2016.   

Except for the fact that $45 million coming off the books next year.

Don't let that fool you ... unless you have no plans on re-signing him or any other big name free agent.

I prefer a 4-5 year deal. You could include a opt out in 2 years if you had too.

Edited by Troll Daddy

We could make a QO on Upton next year and get the pick back.

That said, I still don't think it makes sense.

Right now, we stand at the #17 pick.  If the Orioles sign Davis, I believe we move up to #16.  This year, those who lost a qualifying offer in compensation starts at #27.  But this was a very large compensation class.

From the sounds of it, next years draft class is very devoid of any substance.  So it could very well be a very low number of compensation players.  Thus a higher compensation pick in the 29+ area. 

So while we will get a pick back.  It will be much lower in order. 

Don't let that fool you ... unless you have no plans on re-signing him or any other big name free agent.

I prefer a 4-5 year deal. You could include a opt out in 2 years if you had too.

I was referring to your point about being over the tax next year even if we signed him to a 1 year deal, which we won't.

Right now, we stand at the #17 pick. If the Orioles sign Davis, I believe we move up to #16. This year, those who lost a qualifying offer in compensation starts at #27. But this was a very large compensation class.

From the sounds of it, next years draft class is very devoid of any substance. So it could very well be a very low number of compensation players. Thus a higher compensation pick in the 29+ area.

So while we will get a pick back. It will be much lower in order.

The Orioles won't lose a pick for signing their own free agent Davis.

I hope they just offer Cespedes 5 years $90 million. At least they will have made a serious offer. If he says no, then go after Upton and offer 6 years $105 million.

With a 3 year mutual option.  These are totally legit offers and these guys have to know that playing with Trout, Pujols, Simmons, Calhoun, Richards, et al. is going all in.

I like the idea of signing Cespedes, then later trading him for prospects. An opt-out clause really messes with that approach though, as it may decrease the value. And of course no-trade limits opportunity as well. Still, Cespedes at 5/110 with an opt out at year 2 would still give an opportunity after the first year to bring something good back and eating some salary could make that something a couple of good prospects.

And if he has a year like 2015 it would help considerably. Many folks seem to think last year was a career year for him, but what if he repeats it? Might end up keeping him, or might get a good haul in a trade.

Do the Halos seriously think Nava and Gentry will get it done in LF? 

Don't worry, Simmons' defense will make up for it. It'll make up for the bullpen too and issues with 2B and 3B. It'll also make CJ Wilson an ace, Weaver will throw 98 mph, and Salas will have a 1.98 ERA.