• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Hall of Fame Case: Garret Anderson

ABC

There is no case. His career wRC+ of 100 says it all: he was an average player who had a few good years and played for a long time.

Mark Whiten once had 4 HR and 12 RBI in a game. Mike Benjamin once had 14 his over three consecutive games. Definite Hall of Famers.

Come on, GA was a much better player than those guys.  I'm not saying he's HOF material, not even close, but you make him sound like a scrub.

i don't think the writer made much of a compelling case.

as an angels fan, i'm glad he was part of our team. his contribution in '02 was critical, and for that we're all thankful. but i don't think he has anywhere near the numbers that will make him worth a second look for the hall.

Come on, GA was a much better player than those guys.  I'm not saying he's HOF material, not even close, but you make him sound like a scrub.

Of course. I was just pointing out how you can find all kinds of anomalous stats, which don't make a Hall of Fame case. Garret was a pretty good player, but he was far from great.

There are 123 outfielders in the history of the game with 8000+ PA (Garret had 9177). Garret was #116 in fWAR with 24.0. Of all players listed as outfielders with 9000+ PA, Garret is #72 of 75. Behind him is Bill Buckner, Joe Carter, and Doc Cramer.

There's one of these for Eckstein too, everyone on the ballot this year, so don't read too much into it. Clearly he's not a hall of famer, but he was still a very good hitter for a long time.

It's lost on half of the HOF experts here.

i don't think the writer made much of a compelling case.

as an angels fan, i'm glad he was part of our team. his contribution in '02 was critical, and for that we're all thankful. but i don't think he has anywhere near the numbers that will make him worth a second look for the hall.

Unfortunately the best case for GA was made in this line...

His 2,529 career hits, .293 lifetime average and 287 career home runs might leave him a tad short of induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame, but, counterpoint ...

Once you dig any deeper than that it starts to fall apart.

Well exactly. Actually, if you consider context any vague chance is scattered to the wind. He compiled that .293/.324/.461 line during the 90s and 00s, one of the highest run scoring context in history. If you adjust those numbers to being an Angel in 2014, his career line is .278/.309/.438, according to Baseball Reference's Neutralized Batting calculator.

(As an aside, Mike Trout translated to being an Angel in 2000 has a .358/.457/.660 career line)