• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman - Angels may spend

Second Base

Its entirely possible the Angels could get a free agent.  

Its entirely possible the Angels wont get a free agent.

The Angels are thinking about doing baseball things.

The Angels are thinking about not doing baseball things. 

Im thinking about getting a turkey sandwich for lunch.

I may get a turkey sandwich for lunch.

On a serious note, I'm surprised the Royals only offered Gordon 4/$52M max (4 x 12-13M a year). Maybe the Angels should get him while he's down, offer 4/$60M up to 4/$72M, which is $18M a year. The thing I like about Gordon better than Cespedes is that I think his ceiling is lower, plus he'd make a good leadoff hitter.

In terms of Outfielders.....its such a hard choice! Personally Gordon is a bad idea. We don't NEED the left handed bat that bad, we have those late in games coming off the bench. Cespedes is another huge question mark that wont be worth taking the risk IMO. What we really NEED is anyone who can competently play LF and just stay on the field, what we want is someone we can for sure pencil in and finally not worry about the outfield for once. Too me that player is Upton. The problem is, he like so many others want to get paid for the potential and we dont do that anymore (barring rare cases, i.e Trout). He's gonna realistically get 6-8yrs at 18-22MM. The other two are hard cases because of a multitude of factors, like no draft pick comp or health for instance. If Justin doesn't want too win here then so be it, our next target could be some sort of sign and trade for Dexter or just wait and further explore the trade market.  

On a serious note, I'm surprised the Royals only offered Gordon 4/$52M max (4 x 12-13M a year). Maybe the Angels should get him while he's down, offer 4/$60M up to 4/$72M, which is $18M a year. The thing I like about Gordon better than Cespedes is that I think his ceiling is lower, plus he'd make a good leadoff hitter.

you mean his floor is higher?  Maybe.  I just don't like Anaheim for lefties and his defense could become very average over the next couple of years.  

Upton is definitely the best choice, but there are two problems: One, he'll want more years than other two, probably 7-8, although maybe he takes 6. Secondly, the draft pick. So you have pros and cons:

Pros

Cespedes - Great tools, dynamic and exciting player. No draft pick lost. LH.

Upton - young (28), probably overall best player. Has the feeling of untapped potential.

Gordon - higher floor, best on-base percentage, might take 4 years. LH.

Cons

Cespedes - who is he, the excellent 2012/15 or the merely good 2013-14? Poor on-base skills, could decline quickly in 2-3 years.

Upton - years and big contract. Not sure how he'll handle a big contract.

Gordon - older (32) and won't get any better.

In terms of Outfielders.....its such a hard choice! Personally Gordon is a bad idea. We don't NEED the left handed bat that bad, we have those late in games coming off the bench. Cespedes is another huge question mark that wont be worth taking the risk IMO. What we really NEED is anyone who can competently play LF and just stay on the field, what we want is someone we can for sure pencil in and finally not worry about the outfield for once. Too me that player is Upton. The problem is, he like so many others want to get paid for the potential and we dont do that anymore (barring rare cases, i.e Trout). He's gonna realistically get 6-8yrs at 18-22MM. The other two are hard cases because of a multitude of factors, like no draft pick comp or health for instance. If Justin doesn't want too win here then so be it, our next target could be some sort of sign and trade for Dexter or just wait and further explore the trade market.  

No.  Gordon would be a great idea.  He put up a .377 OBP last year.  Over the last 3 years, he has had 354 at bats with runners in scoring position, he has a .923 OPS and a .314 BA in those at bats.  

Just imagine Gordon hitting behind Trout, the run production would be absolutely insane.  Two players who can post an OBP that high, with terrific RISP skills, say goodbye to prolonged offensive droughts. 

Escobar

Trout

Gordon

Pujols

Calhoun

Gia

Perez

Simmons

This lineup would feast

you mean his floor is higher?  Maybe.  I just don't like Anaheim for lefties and his defense could become very average over the next couple of years.  

Still don't agree with this at all.

The good thing is he isn't really a power hitter so his numbers wouldn't take a huge hit.

His defense will absolutely decline, but becoming "very average" over the next couple of years is a stretch. He's been amazing defensively for his entire career. He'll lose some speed but he's not just going to forget how to judge flyballs. His arm may drop a bit as well but he's not exactly Cespedes in that regard anyway.

I know you brought up facts when you said there was only something like 20 players in history who continued to play good defense in LF after age 32. But how many of those players were good or great to begin with?

Honestly, though I'll take any of the big 3, Gordon is the best fit as I see it.

No.  Gordon would be a great idea.  He put up a .377 OBP last year.  Over the last 3 years, he has had 354 at bats with runners in scoring position, he has a .923 OPS and a .314 BA in those at bats.  

Just imagine Gordon hitting behind Trout, the run production would be absolutely insane.  Two players who can post an OBP that high, with terrific RISP skills, say goodbye to prolonged offensive droughts. 

Escobar

Trout

Gordon

Pujols

Calhoun

Gia

Perez

Simmons

This lineup would feast

Gordon would almost certainly bat 2nd, but the good thing is he provides the flexibility to bat behind Trout if need be.

Heyman should have been a cook because he stirs the pot way too often

He does just what his boss, Scott Boras, wants him to do. Stir the pot to make owners think they have competition to sign players. Yes, the Angels have probably been in touch with all the OF'ers agents. But more than likely to see if prices have come down in terms of $ or years.