• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

M's sign Cishek 2/10

Say what you want about Dipoto, but he always

had a plan even if it sucked, he had one. Currently it doesn't look like Eppler does. If we don't get a top outfielder after trading away some of our future, I'll lose my ****ing shit

We'll have an OF and whoever he is, is going to be better than Matt Joyce was last year. But I think that Luxury Tax barrier is a lot more firm than has been reported. I mean sure, it may have been fluid, with Jason Heyward still in play, and most reports indicate we came in hard at him. But now that he's off the market, Arte may be saying "keep it under".

I know I've guessed Yoenis Cespedes the whole time, and I know Alex Gordon is the flavor of the week right now, while a strong contingent still yearns for Upton's consistent power, and still others clammor for a leadoff hitter like Span or Revere. I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't going to enter Spring Training with an open competition for LF just like we did with 2B last year,

Seems like a nightmare to me, but I think we could see something like Gentry, Nava, Choi, Kubitza and Ortega all battling it out for that spot. Gentry has the speed and defense, Nava has a history of success, Choi his a hits and OBP machine, Kubitza reaches base and is a doubles machine, and Ortega is just an all-around ball player. Not saying it'd answer our needs, but it'd be cheap and improvement over last season.

I know I've guessed Yoenis Cespedes the whole time, and I know Alex Gordon is the flavor of the week right now, while a strong contingent still yearns for Upton's consistent power, and still others clammor for a leadoff hitter like Span or Revere. I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't going to enter Spring Training with an open competition for LF just like we did with 2B last year,

I'm hoping Eppler is hoarding all these players as a sort of safety net. Even if they do heavily pursue any or all of the big 3 remaining OFers, there's still a chance they could get outbid, or even if they offer the most, a player may choose a lesser offer due to hometown ties or whatever. If they strike out on all 3, they will at least have some sort of depth built up already, rather than a January scenario of "Oh shit. All three signed elsewhere. Quick, let's see what's left!!"

That was what led us to Vernon Wells.

If we sign a big 3, or a mid-tier bat, all these guys profile just fine as depth at SLC or 4th OFers.

Edited by totdprods

Jerry > Eppler

Not sure how you could possibly say that with any conviction at this moment in time.

Dipoto inherited both the Angels and the Mariners from GM's that had not done a good job running them. Jerry leaves the Angels after reorganizing them to align with his vision and makes a bunch of moves to clean the M's house and that equates to him somehow being better than Eppler who has made a series of moves just not the lightning ones that Dipoto has?

You cannot form the basis for a comparison with so little data. It's like trying to correlate a hitter's 50% K rate based on 8 plate appearances there is not enough data to create a confident opinion.

I'm hoping Eppler is hoarding all these players as a sort of safety net. Even if they do heavily pursue any or all of the big 3 remaining OFers, there's still a chance they could get outbid, or even if they offer the most, a player may choose a lesser offer due to hometown ties or whatever. If they strike out on all 3, they will at least have some sort of depth built up already, rather than a January scenario of "Oh shit. All three signed elsewhere. Quick, let's see what's left!!"

That was what led us to Vernon Wells.

If we sign a big 3, or a mid-tier bat, all these guys profile just fine as depth at SLC or 4th OFers.

He is hoarding them in case they don't pick up one of their OF targets. In fact Heyward might have been their only target to be honest. Upton would be a good choice too but Eppler has to prepare for a Universe where we platoon our LF position and you have to have at least one backup for both sides of the plate, preferably two or more.

He is hoarding them in case they don't pick up one of their OF targets. In fact Heyward might have been their only target to be honest. Upton would be a good choice too but Eppler has to prepare for a Universe where we platoon our LF position and you have to have at least one backup for both sides of the plate, preferably two or more.

Yup. I'm Trying to not view it as Heyward/Upton/Cespedes versus Gentry/Choi/Ortega/Buss/Nava

I'm viewing it as that second grouping versus those types of players that are available in January (which ironically will probably be the David DeJesus/Matt Joyce types) - if things don't fall the way we we want with the big FA's, hoo boy I'd be much happier with what we have assembled now versus what will be available then.

Edited by totdprods

He strikes me as a "I love to hear the sound of my own voice" type of guy. An attention seeker of sorts, a non drunk AO in a suit, or a skinnier less passive aggressive Stradling

I really like this post. Sometimes you read a sentence and it's kind of perfect. "A skinnier less passive aggressive Stradling", is so good. For one it's probably pretty accurate and two the sentence is passive aggressive.

I'm not as carasmatic as Jerry, but I'm guessing I'm a better workplace communicator than JD. I'm sure I also have less of a workplace ego.

Now I'm wondering if GMs are leery of Clippard because he's had a big workload since 2010.

He's been consistently healthy, but also with some 450 innings pitched since then.

His numbers did drop some in 2015, even when going back to the NL in July.

But, can the Halos truly rely on Salas, Morin, and Bedrosian as their 3-4-5 in the pen????

HUGE question mark

Edited by Angel Oracle

Now I'm wondering if GMs are leery of Clippard because he's had a big workload since 2010.

He's been consistently healthy, but also with some 450 innings pitched since then.

But, can the Halos truly rely on Salas, Morin, and Bedrosian as their 3-4-5 in the pen????

HUGE question mark

^^ Hell no, hmmm, and probably no way in hell.

HUGE question mark

No, but it seems they're going to for some reason.

The Royals have proven how important a lockdown bullpen is. Granted, the Angels haven't done much of anything this offseason besides the Simmons trade, but the pen was probably the 2nd most important asset to improve next to left field. I'm still holding out hope that they work a trade for a solid reliever.

The Royals have proven how important a lockdown bullpen is. Granted, the Angels haven't done much of anything this offseason besides the Simmons trade, but the pen was probably the 2nd most important asset to improve next to left field. I'm still holding out hope that they work a trade for a solid reliever.

amen.  my soapbox of all soapboxes.  

And the pen has actually gotten worse after losing Gott and Ramos. I'm not too torn up about Ramos but Gott was a solid piece with some potential. Now they don't really even have any depth, so they can't just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. The bag is almost empty.

Alvarez is fine in the lefty role. But they need to replace Gott.

I'm all over the whole add to the bullpen narrative but, I think a bigger case can be made for KC proving how important defense is..   Have you looked at the rates for the Angels and Royals bullpens last year.

Team A: 8.36 K/9, 3.19 BB/9, 0.80 HR/9

Team B: 8.42 K/9, 3.04 BB/9, 0.84 HR/9

Nearly identical right -- only the Royals allowed a Babip of .258 .vs the Angels .301.   The two team's FIPs and xFIPS are again nearly identical no more than 0.11 off...

There are a lot of different things that can be argued based on those rates -- but the one thing we do know about the Royals is they can play lights out defense.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm all over the whole add to the bullpen narrative but, I think a bigger case can be made for KC proving how important defense is..   Have you looked at the rates for the Angels and Royals bullpens last year.

Team A: 8.36 K/9, 3.19 BB/9, 0.80 HR/9

Team B: 8.42 K/9, 3.04 BB/9, 0.84 HR/9

Nearly identical right -- only the Royals allowed a Babip of .258 .vs the Angels .301.   The two team's FIPs and xFIPS are again nearly identical no more than 0.11 off...

There are a lot of different things that can be argued based on those rates -- but the one thing we do know about the Royals is they can play lights out defense.

Yes, I agree. Imo, the bullpen and a solid defense go hand in hand. Holding a lead from the seventh inning is largely a defensive move. It seems to me that a great defense goes vastly underrated by many. For me the Simmons trade overall is a net gain, only if however, we are to gain back at least what we lost in Gott, maybe more. If not, Eppler has made a half a sandwich, and the trade moves to meh.