• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The left fielder will tell us a lot...

Angelsjunky

...about the near future of the franchise. If...

...it is Upton or Cespedes (or less likely, Gordon), then it means that the Angels are serious about winning in the next year or two.

...it is Parra, Fowler, Jackson, or someone else, it means they've pretty much written off the next couple years and are looking more at years 3-5 of the Trout-Simmons era.

Why? Well, I just don't see how this team can seriously compete without a major offensive upgrade. If they sign Parra and, say, Murphy, they will improve overall but probably not enough to win the division, let alone the pennant and World Series.

Even the three big outfielders left offer different messages: Cespedes or Gordon says, "We want to win now and will worry about the future later on." Upton says, "We want to win now and in the future."

Upton makes the most sense.

I don't think we can make any moves than will make us favorites to win the division at this point. With the right combo of players we can still be solid contenders, and with the wrong set of players I think we are an easy call for third place. Upton, Murphy and a reliever and we are right back in it.

Right now I think this is potentially a .500 team, assuming some stop gap addition to play LF. 

I don't think we can make any moves than will make us favorites to win the division at this point. With the right combo of players we can still be solid contenders, and with the wrong set of players I think we are an easy call for third place. Upton, Murphy and a reliever and we are right back in it.

Right now I think this is potentially a .500 team, assuming some stop gap addition to play LF. 

I agree we are dangerously close to mediocrity if we can't fill our remaining gaps properly. I still think there are things we could do to go into the season as favorites though. If we signed, for example, Upton, Murphy and Chen then we would probably viewed as favorites going in though. I'm increasingly concerned we will either go down the stop-gap path (a left field platoon) or the desperate path (paying overs for someone like Cespedes).

Upton makes the most sense to me as well. I read somewhere on the board that he has motivation issues but I don't know anything about that. Having him in the lineup would be a major upgrade.

However, having observed how terrible this franchise is with acquisitions I would not be surprised if they instead went after Melvin Upton.

To be fair Melvin would cost less.

Seriously, the biggest difference in offense between 2014 and 2015 is Howie Kendrick who knows the AL.

actually, after reviewing the arms we have available for the rotation (LA Times did an article this past week) -- I'm feeling pretty good about the rotation.

Richards is counted upon as the ace -- and we've got some depth behind that --

and, unlike the LA Times comment in the article, I still am optimistic about Weaver -- he's got some pretty good outings left in him.

we've got about 6 to 7 rotation guys in camp.

I wouldn't give up on Heaney -- I think he'll do fine and Shoemaker can make sort of a comeback to pitch somewhere between his stellar (but cut short) 2014 season and 2015 somewhat OK, not terrible, not above average year.

I disagree with the notion that a Parra/Fowler type LF means we're ceding '16-'17. This team can definitely contend if they added something akin to Parra, Murphy, and a pen arm.

I do agree though that if they went that route, at least privately, they saw '16 as more of a 'reset' year. Not a rebuild, but a year for Eppler to dig his claws into the org and assess what he feels needs to be addressed and the org's strengths and weaknesses going forward, with an internal understanding that signing a mega-contract could make that vision more difficult to accomplish.

That's not saying a mega-contract is a bad thing, just that the risk is present that it would handicap the team and prevent the change Eppler, and hopefully Scioscia and Arte, understand need to happen. I am sure that Arte and the FO looks at teams/rivals competing and winning championships with payrolls a fraction of ours and that there can be an understanding that some philosophical changes may be in order.

I know that will make some folks here balk, but I think the Dipoto disaster was more about conflicting personalities than philosophies - both were a factor, but neither side was capable of reconciling.

My personal opinion from the start has been Upton, even over Heyward, and my prediction of what the Angels will actually do has been Cespedes.

My reason for predicting Cespedes is rather simple really.

1. His numbers with men on and RISP make him a true run producer.

2. He doesn't cost a draft pick.

3. It's Arte that's spending the money, and we lnow him well enough to understand that he likes flash. Do to think he's forgotten that incredible throw he made from the corner to gun Howie at the plate. Arte remembers that and wants to bring that here.

But again, if it were me, Upton.

Why are we so much higher on Upton than Gordon? Gordon is a better defender and has better on-base skills. Granted he's older, but he will also be cheaper. He also hits from the left side, which we desperately need in our lineup.

Gordon's age spooks me the most. It'd suck if he went into a decline after a year or two and put us in a position needing to upgrade the offense again but with fewer positions to do so. I wouldn't be against him. In fact, I'd be pretty happy with any of the Big 3 provided the right accompanying move was made.

Gordon's age spooks me the most. It'd suck if he went into a decline after a year or two and put us in a position needing to upgrade the offense again but with fewer positions to do so. I wouldn't be against him. In fact, I'd be pretty happy with any of the Big 3 provided the right accompanying move was made.

He's probably only going to get a 4-5 year contract, correct? Even if his offense declines, he should still be a solid defender for the life of his contract. He could also thrive in front of Trout (as most could).

Age didn't bother most here when Zorbrist was available for four years. Thirty-two is still a young age for a ball player.

He's probably only going to get a 4-5 year contract, correct? Even if his offense declines, he should still be a solid defender for the life of his contract. He could also thrive in front of Trout (as most could).

Oh I'm sure he'd still be a solid defender, but if that offensive decline happens in '16 or '17, where and how would we improve?

I know it's a stretch that he'd decline that bad that soon and there isn't any true indicator that will happen, but I'm erring on the side of caution and Angels luck. He isn't exactly a game changing offensive player now (he's good don't get me wrong and his skill set plays well to our needs) but IF that offense drops of a cliff or he starts having injury issues right off the bat we won't really have an obvious position we can quickly upgrade at.

Ideally, I think I really want to see the Angels add two more bats this offseason - if by FA, preferably shorter less expensive contracts. I can't see them getting Upton or Cespedes and another due to the money they'll command, but possibly Gordon and another bat.

What we do to strengthen the bullpen now becomes the big variable in what we spend on offense.