• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Middle Class Losing Ground

The private sector is where the money is found (well, in theory), but the government jobs are highly desired because they don't have to track their time ("billable hours"), they get into trial, they have good benefits, and they can't get fired.

The vast majority of law students go into private practice (law firms) after graduating. Some go in-house. Some go to work for the government. Law firms do just about any type of work you can imagine, but most have a litigation practice (people and/or companies suing one another for various reasons).

Ironically, the smartest dude I have ever known gave up scholarships to pretty much every top school in the country to go to UCSD, only to end up going to Harvard law.  Once graduating he ended up working for the IRS.  I can never understand why he would take that college/career path but he seems happy.

i'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but i'm very suspicious about this. high paid attorneys can make upwards of seven figures. there isn't a teacher alive who can come close to that. in fact, i don't know of nor have i ever heard of any classroom teacher that even makes 100k.

You're right some attorneys can crack seven figures. I know a guy who's wife pulled in close to that working non-stop. They lived in the Hollywood Hills but she worked so much on occasion that they put her up at the downtown Ritz Carlton with unlimited room service for months so that there would be less travel time and be insulated from family, etc. She worked numerous weekends, holidays, etc. She physically went to shit and even worse was her mental health. They had to hire a nanny and a cook to help with the kids. I remember that she worked on the McCourt case years back.

I'm sure that there are teachers who pull in seven figures but no where near the numbers of attorneys. Here's one potential millionaire teacher.

The point is that you can teach and make money outside of the govt run traditional classroom. You can sell to your service or product to the masses online or you can teach select wealthy people. You can teach ABCs or you can teach how to build hummingbird homes. No matter what subject that you want to teach or who you want to teach it to, you can make mid-six or even seven figures.

No real point to this, but in college I took a number of Chinese History courses. My professor for all three courses taught "for fun." He had a PHD in Chinese something or other and made millions as a liaison for American corporations in China. 

To go in-house at a company like Boeing or RJ Reynolds, you most likely have to spend a number of years with a huge, prestigious firm, working 80+ hours week in and week out. And to get that firm job, you have to be toward the top of your class, from a top law school. In other words, those jobs are extremely difficult to get.

But in-house is a good gig.

Yeah, those were just examples. I obviously don't know too much about the industry.

I think most of the general public believe lawyers convict or defend criminals and murderers, but most of the ones I speak to either work in or talk about other sectors...heck, even industries like real estate law or tax law.

You're right some attorneys can crack seven figures. I know a guy who's wife pulled in close to that working non-stop. They lived in the Hollywood Hills but she worked so much on occasion that they put her up at the downtown Ritz Carlton with unlimited room service for months so that there would be less travel time and be insulated from family, etc. She worked numerous weekends, holidays, etc. She physically went to shit and even worse was her mental health. They had to hire a nanny and a cook to help with the kids. I remember that she worked on the McCourt case years back.

I'm sure that there are teachers who pull in seven figures but no where near the numbers of attorneys. Here's one potential millionaire teacher.

The point is that you can teach and make money outside of the govt run traditional classroom. You can sell to your service or product to the masses online or you can teach select wealthy people. You can teach ABCs or you can teach how to build hummingbird homes. No matter what subject that you want to teach or who you want to teach it to, you can make mid-six or even seven figures.

you and i are looking at this from two different angles. i'm looking at it as what kind of salary a teacher is paid for being a classroom instructor. you're looking at it from what kinds of supplementary things can teachers do to make more money. not quite the same thing.

No real point to this, but in college I took a number of Chinese History courses. My professor for all three courses taught "for fun." He had a PHD in Chinese something or other and made millions as a liaison for American corporations in China. 

is this him?

e99f856f2a24e66ec71ed8d397c9a334.jpg

you and i are looking at this from two different angles. i'm looking at it as what kind of salary a teacher is paid for being a classroom instructor. you're looking at it from what kinds of supplementary things can teachers do to make more money. not quite the same thing.

That's the whole point. 

Regardless, you don't have to supplement to make good money. You can just teach on your own terms instead of the confines of a traditional classroom setting. It isn't easy but there's a reason why people are paid what they are paid.

That's the whole point. 

Regardless, you don't have to supplement to make good money. You can just teach on your own terms instead of the confines of a traditional classroom setting. It isn't easy but there's a reason why people are paid what they are paid.

and where exactly is it that i can just go teach on my own terms? where is this school located where i don't have to concern myself with required curriculum?

Thanks?

I didn't realize that I was so vague. 

I even gave an example of teachers making bank online. There are also teachers who sell their services without the restraints of a mandated curriculum to wealthy parents who are willing to pay great money for great results . And there are a hundred other examples to teach for good money. It isn't for everyone. You have to be comfortable being uncomfortable and be entrepreneurial. 

All of the "how to" information is out there and it starts with google and youtube searches to get started.   

There's nothing wrong with not having a desire to change the way you make money teaching. Some teachers love being in a traditional classroom setting and will make a larger impact in that space rather than trying something different. 

Thanks?

I didn't realize that I was so vague. 

I even gave an example of teachers making bank online. There are also teachers who sell their services without the restraints of a mandated curriculum to wealthy parents who are willing to pay great money for great results . And there are a hundred other examples to teach for good money. It isn't for everyone. You have to be comfortable being uncomfortable and be entrepreneurial. 

All of the "how to" information is out there and it starts with google and youtube searches to get started.   

There's nothing wrong with not having a desire to change the way you make money teaching. Some teachers love being in a traditional classroom setting and will make a larger impact in that space rather than trying something different. 

so i went to google and youtube and typed in "teaching on your own terms without restraint." on google, the lead article was a story from the LDS church back in 1998 about personal fulfillment, or something like that. the list of articles was mostly self-help kind of stuff. on youtube, the lead video is posted below. the third story was about making your own play-dough, and the fourth story was about how to french kiss properly.

so yes, you were being vague.

anyone who goes into education for the money is in it for the wrong reason. anyone who goes into it thinking it's just temporary until something better comes along, should never have gone into in the first place. while there are opportunities to increase your income and hire yourself out to a far different clientele, that's not where the best, most meaningful work takes place. 

i love what i get to do, and i love that every year i get to try new things or improve on old things. i love that while i am required to teach about the gold rush, there's no dictate telling me HOW i have to teach about it, and that opens the door for new and different ideas, some that work and some that don't.

i don't know if you know any teachers or if you ever hear about the great things some really great teachers are doing out there, but i hope you'll get that experience. i love what i do and i love who i get to teach. there are some days that are really tough and make me question myself, but the number of good days far, far outweighs those few moments. i'm being paid more than i ever thought i'd make, and while i wouldn't turn down an increase in salary, i have no complaints about what i make. i have a great distaste for educators who complain about their pay or what they have to do to earn it.

i don't really have any more interest in discussing this issue. you and i aren't likely to see eye to eye on this.